1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Grosh Setneck in at Mass St

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by leets, Jan 3, 2008.

1. leets

leets Member

2. juh_sepp

juh_sepp Member

Leets,

thanks for the temptation:confused:

Now if I save my spare change, I can snag that beauty in about 2 years.:crazy

3. DavidH

DavidH Member

Ooh.Love that board.

4. leets

leets Member

haha, sorry. I just could not help myself.

5. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

Any Set Neck owners out there I'd love some feedback. I have 3 Grosh's, 2-Bent tops and a RC and I love the looks of the Set Neck.

6. leets

leets Member

Give me a few weeks and I'll let you know. :)

7. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

I have a semi-hollow (no f-holes) Set Neck. Beautiful design ergonomically and aesthetically. I have a Fralin P92 in the neck and a WCR Godwood in the bridge. Superb tone. It has that semi-hollow quality without sounding delicate or fragile.

8. mep

mep Supporting Member

I have a semi-hollow one without f-holes also. It is a great sounding guitar that can sound sweet and mellow or rock with the best. The neck feels like your favorite guitar that you've had for years. The body is balanced and comfortable whether sitting or standing. Grosh has done a great job with the set neck.

[​IMG]

9. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

Not such a big fan of the top on the guitar posted by Leets... but that fretboard looks amazing :)

10. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

That one is definitely the picture that I send around when I want to show folks what kind of top/finish I want. Beautiful!

11. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

How do they feel compared to a Les Paul. I've owned a couple but being a Fender style guy I could never get comfortable with one. Does the Grosh balance better? How about access to the upper frets?

12. Kappy

Kappy Member

I've had two R8s (currently own only one) and my Grosh Set Neck is so much better in feel and playability they're not even in the same league. The R8s do have a bound fingerboard and they do have bigger necks than my medium large Grosh, but those differences aren't why the Grosh feels so much better. And the Grosh's frets are just outstanding. No comparison IMO.

13. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

I have a regular Set Neck and it smokes. I wisely sold an '03 brazilian board R7 that while nice, was half the guitar my Set Neck is. Unbelievable construction, playability and tone.

I do love the board on the Mass St. guitar...wow!

Eugene

[​IMG]

14. Shane S

Shane S Member

I have a custom Don Grosh Setneck that just smokes. It is now an offical model called the Hollowtron. I loved the first one so much I order a second one a couple of months ago. I am told it should be done around the middle of May. Here are a couple of pictures on the prototype of the Setneck Hollowtron:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. leets

leets Member

Nice to hear!! I'm a big fan of your original Hollowtron. What did you have done differently on the second model?

16. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Shane----I just love that guitar. I'm glad it will be available to the rest of us. Thanks for the idea.

17. Shane S

Shane S Member

Not much because you really can't improve on perfection. Here are the changes that I went with. Mostly cosmetic has this is going to be a back up guitar for the original Hollowtron:

It will have a larger neck .9" -1.0"
    Wide Flame Maple top
    Grained Ivoroid Binding
    Charcoal Burst Top Color like a PRS Private Stock
    Back will be black with white grain fill like a Collings 290 model
    I may do a different type of TV Jones pickups...that is yet tbd.

18. leets

leets Member

Sounds great... can't wait to see it. Flame top with a Charcoal Burst could be a perfect compliment to the first version!!

19. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the Grosh fret work is superb. I love the look of the Set Neck. I just might have to complete the family.

20. mep

mep Supporting Member

I went to Mass Street today to "kick tires" and to talk about ordering a Grosh ElectraJet. I played the set neck that started this thread and it is a nice one. I am pretty sure that it is solid body because it was just a little heavier than my set neck. But the action is perfect and it looks great. This is a beauty just waiting for the right buyer.