New guitar and frets are all scratched wtf

Fowleri

bought online from GC because they don't have it online, i tried to remove it by rubbing but theyre scratches how the hell does this even happen

Last edited:

dazco

40 grit sandpaper will clean that right up.
I HOPE u mean 400 ! I would use 1200 or even higher. But that doesn't look like scratches. Looks like either they finished the maple with frets in like fender but didn't clean it off, or some sort of corrosion. In any case some metal polish or fine grit wet/dry paper will remove it. Tape off the fingerboard between the frets with masking tape then go at it.

jwguitar

bought online from GC because they don't have it online, i tried to remove it by rubbing but theyre scratches how the hell does this even happen

That doesn’t look like scratches. I think the frets are just tarnished a bit from the guitar probably sitting out. I have seen that on guitars I have purchased. I probably would just play it if that is the only issue. Eventually if you play it a lot the tarnish will ware it self off.

Fowleri

i managed to remove most of it now, but why would it come like this and it has a tag that was inspected by 3 people

the guitar came with 2 tiny rings and i dont know are they for the whammy stick?

orourke

Silver Supporting Member
Just curious. What’s the rest of the guitar look like. What brand, model are we talking about here?

Tweedledee

This is incredibly common, particularly on lower-end guitars bought new that have been sitting in a box for a long time. No matter how many desiccant packs they put in the box, some moisture gets in and after a while the frets tarnish. This is why step #1 after buying a new guitar online is basically always to get rid of the stock strings, polish the frets, oil the board (if rosewood or another porous wood), and put on new strings. 0000 steel wool works great, as noted above, but you do need to tape off the pickups so they don’t get metal shavings stuck in them. You can also use micro mesh or ultra fine scotchbrite pads. Whatever you use, be sure to tape off the fretboard so you don’t scratch it while doing the work.

Trending Topics