New guitar arrived today and it's KOLLossal!!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by mentalfloss, Mar 23, 2006.

1. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

My new Koll Superior is sitting next to me after arriving here at work just about two hours ago. I haven't touched it yet, I've only opened the case for brief-but-riveting glimpses (I want to be sure it's completely temperature-adjusted and won't play it until this evening). What I can say with certainty about it thus far is that it's surprisingly light-weight and the looks are ABSOLUTELY OFF THE CHAIN!!

Oh, and it smells great too, better than a new car.

2. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Sounds awesome, I hope your gonna take some pics of that baby for us all to enjoy:JAM
    I want a Koll sooo bad!

3. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

ah.. new guitar smell.. I love that smell.
    Congratulations!

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

You couldn't take a picture while you had the case open???

6. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

I'll try to get some more photos posted soon but don't know if I'll have time before the site is out of commission starting Sunday(?), and then I'll be away briefly (but there will be various armed guards, attack dogs, badgers and wolverines watching over my new Koll).

I asked Saul if he could make a "Deco Superior" and this is the result. I need to get some close-ups of the Art Deco details (pickguard, inlays, truss rod cover); they don't show up well in this shrunken pic (likewise the mesmerizing blood-red finish). I couldn't be happier about the way it turned out. I opened the case and my eyeballs nearly melted.

Features:

Flame maple top
    Mahogany neck/body
    Ebony fretboard
    Stainless steel frets
    Lollar P-90s
    Hipshot tremolo

Haven't plugged it in yet, or even lifted it out of the case. Maybe in another hour (it's getting used to my house). It'll get a workout tonight through my Aiken Invader (30-watt head, 2x12 slant cab). The neighbors are gonna love me.

[​IMG]

7. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

I'm glad you like it! This was a fun one. Here is another shot:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Cheers,

I'll try to post a couple more when I get a moment.

saul

8. baald

baald Member

very sweet! i dig the "deco" appointments. man, i'm just about jumpin outta my skin with anticipation for mine....

9. T-bone

T-bone Member

Purrdeee!
    I'm close to getting my Tornado.
    What's the chicken head knob for?
    I'd also be interested in your thoughts of the Hipshot Trem?
    Congrats

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Very cool! :dude

11. drezdin

drezdin Member

Congrats on the super duper kool Koll. It's great that Saul takes the customers request to heart and runs with it.

All these Kolls are making the wait for mine very hard :(

12. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I'm a P-90 fan ands that is totally bad-ass! I bet it will sound incredible through the Aiken.

13. KRosser

KRosser Member

When my Kolls arrived, within an hour of cutting them outta the box they were in the car on the way to a gig...how can you wait?

That is one gorgeous instrument. I'm probably a long way off from my next Koll, but man, I bet that sounds & feels like a million bucks....

14. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

The chicken head knob is the tone control.

I've only had one evening to play and I experimented with the trem just a bit, but so far I'm really pleased. I'm an intonation freak and I was very gratified about the tuning stability I heard.

Thanks for the enthusiasm; I'll look forward to seeing and hearing about your Tornado (I have to admit to having Tornado fantasies).

15. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

This is my first P-90 guitar, having been strictly a humbucker guy in the old days and more recently a Strat-type single coil guy (proud owner of a Suhr Classic here) and it's a blast hearing/feeling them in my own hands. The two switches enable every single or combination PU selection and I can't resist hopping among all of them just yet.

The Aiken . . . I'm totally in love with this amp. I originally owned an 18-watt which knocked me out but I was so stunned by the cleans in it that I decided I wanted the extra headroom and returned it for the 30. Anyway, last night I played both clean and overdriven, with and without effects, and although there is plenty more learning/experimenting to do, I can say confidently about both Koll and Aiken . . . Believe The Hype!

16. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

Thanks . . . yes, I'm totally loving it - though it wasn't cheap, it feels like a steal! This guitar is terrifically comfortable to play. I'm feeling very lucky and grateful today.

17. Neill

Neill Member

no straight string pull headstock? does the trem keep tune well when used?