New Guitar Build - McInturff Carolina To My Specs (IT ARRIVED)

EricPeterson

So when a luthier of Terry's skills and precision decides it's time to make parts and covers, close attention to detail is paid .... like hand affixing binding to the truss rod cover and pickguard .... that matches the binding on the guitar:

I think we are coming down the home stretch now. I believe Terry is doing the final sanding this week. Then it will be the final buffing, wiring and assembly. Oh yeah - gotta put some strings on that fine instrument too.

As has been the case throughout this build, the communication has been typically great - including several texts yesterday about which switch tip we wanted to go with. Just a thoroughly enjoyable process.

Another shout-out to the folks that have had an interest in this build - and Terry's crazy-great work in general: @56Tweed, @RyanC., @rawkguitarist, @Meteor Hammer, @Caretaker, @lifeson1, @EricPeterson, @rockinlespaul, @sickboy79, @The bear, @guitarpedaladdict, @Frater B; @Peanut73; @Gilky; @shallbe; @Jim Fairbairn; @DCH
that plastic looks great ... strange to type that out, but seriously it does

paulbearer

Terry's work is stunning. It's going to be a great reward!
Lucky enough to have an Empress and 2 Taurii.
Though I've leaned hard into teles (Carmine) the TCMs are definitely in rotation.
(though one Taurus may be freeing up if I dare.)

Jim Fairbairn

Platinum Supporting Member
Teleplayer, I've been enjoying your updates of the build process. I get a good sense of your excitement as well as Terry's enthusiasm for the build. I look forward to more pictures upon completion as well as your review of the guitar.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
I can't wait to see this and hear what you think after putting it through your Top Hat amps.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Teleplayer, I've been enjoying your updates of the build process. I get a good sense of your excitement as well as Terry's enthusiasm for the build. I look forward to more pictures upon completion as well as your review of the guitar.

Thanks for chiming in Jim. I look forward to receiving the guitar from Terry.

I am certain it will be a fantastic instrument.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
I can't wait to see this and hear what you think after putting it through your Top Hat amps.

That makes two of us, Steve.

Looking forward to hearing it through all the 'Hats. Was just chatting a few days ago with Brian about maybe doing a 100w Emplex with 2x12 cabinet. We'll see.

Getting the guitar from Terry is the top priority.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Really coming into the home stretch now. Terry did the buffing today. Pics are a bit larger than normal. I thought it would show the finish a bit better. Also notice the locking Gotoh tuners - Terry was saying much better QC than Klusons. The finish and overall work just blow me away as we get closer to completion:

Everything just flows so well and is so well done.

Another shout-out to the folks that have had an interest in this build - and Terry's crazy-great work in general: @56Tweed, @RyanC., @rawkguitarist, @Meteor Hammer, @Caretaker, @lifeson1, @EricPeterson, @rockinlespaul, @sickboy79, @The bear, @guitarpedaladdict, @Frater B; @Peanut73; @Gilky; @shallbe; @Jim Fairbairn; @DCH

EricPeterson

Really coming into the home stretch now. Terry did the buffing today. Pics are a bit larger than normal. I thought it would show the finish a bit better. Also notice the locking Gotoh tuners - Terry was saying much better QC than Klusons. The finish and overall work just blow me away as we get closer to completion:

Everything just flows so well and is so well done.

damn. damn. damn. damn. damn said ********.

Okra

Awesome axe!
I am sure you’re anxious to get that into your hands.
Congrats.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
damn. damn. damn. damn. damn said ********.

My girl and I are thinking that we'll both be scared to touch it. I may have to immediately start another build - so I have one to play and one (the black one) to keep in a showcase at the house.... :D

All kidding aside, I know it will be jaw-dropping in-person. And, also kidding aside, when the black Carolina is done, I will most likely give Terry an immediate D/P on a Spellcaster.

His work is truly something special and very much at an "apex level".

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
That is beyond sick !!! Love Love the logo too and that nut ! Wow !

The logo is killer. Terry make the nut out of bone and man-made material that is self-lubricating. For years, Terry's necks have been known far and wide to be uber-stable. The combination of pattern-grade old growth Honduran mahogany for the neck, locking Gotoh tuners, and that nut -- plus Terry's incredible neck building chops -- will result in a guitar that rarely goes out of tune. Everything on Terry's guitars has a purpose.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Awesome axe!
I am sure you’re anxious to get that into your hands.
Congrats.

I believe Terry is as excited about this build as I am. We have talked constantly and consistently throughout the build process, and it is very evident that: 1) Terry is an extremely experienced and deeply knowledgeable luthier that is at the absolute top of his game [not to mention at the top of the profession], and 2) He has poured his heart and soul into this build, and he talks about it with a combination of humbleness, passion and extreme depth. I have learned something during every one of our many discussions - it's been like a master class in luthiery -- from a true master craftsmen (I almost said "master builder" but those words fall far short of who/what Terry is as a luthier).

On top of that, I have known Terry 21 years, and this whole process has allowed us to rekindle, broaden and deepen our friendship. It has been one of the coolest things I've been involved with - ever.

Thank you for the kind words. And, yes, I do look forward to receiving the instrument from Terry.

stringgears

The fretb. looks great...as does the whole guitar. I even like the signature on this one...the last letter looks like the line was extended a bit.....love the look.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
The fretb. looks great...as does the whole guitar. I even like the signature on this one...the last letter looks like the line was extended a bit.....love the look.

I've seen some additional photos I haven't posted. Terry's work is spectacular -every single detail of it.

Peanut73

Gold Supporting Member
Excited for you @Teleplayer! I practically feel like I am getting this guitar given the experience and information that has been exchanged here and privately. This guitar couldn't have happened to a better buyer and builder.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Excited for you @Teleplayer! I practically feel like I am getting this guitar given the experience and information that has been exchanged here and privately. This guitar couldn't have happened to a better buyer and builder.

Thanks for the kind words. It's all Terry's doing. I'm just along for the ride.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom