New guitar coming, 2016 Wildwood spec American Vintage Thin Skin '59

jtpal25

A recent thread about an American Vintage 59 that has been hacked up made me want to post this. I just bought this, but it won't be here until Wednesday. So all I can do now is stare at the pics.

Wildwood Specs
  • Custom Shop '54 pickups
  • 9.5" radius
  • 6105 frets
  • 7.8 lbs
  • 3 Tone Sunburst
  • Neck depth: 1st- .840/12th- .950
  • Thin Skin Nitro Lacquer
  • G&G Hardshell Case
  • Beautiful Straight Grain Slab Rosewood Board
View media item 49970View media item 49969

Yama Arashi

Congratulations on the acquisition!

I have that exact guitar down to the neck measurements, save for the color - I went with the Sonic Blue. (Would have gone 3TSB otherwise - but have one in process with Mr. Danocaster)

Not to freak you out :) but I had a little bit of teething pains with mine initially - first off, IMO, the set-up that Wildwood 'provides'/(requires) is a joke. I know my way around setting up a guitar fairly well, and the only thing I won't, or haven't done myself, is a fret crown/dressing. I was looking at one that was at Dave's as well, but liked the fretboard/neck better on the one at Wildwood. They wouldn't match the price (-$100) due to the 'set-up' that they do.

Got it dialed in, but there was still something that was bugging me and I just couldn't get it perfect. Ended up going to a trusted luthier, and he found that there were definitely some subtle high and low spots due to some slight neck twist/grain in a couple areas. I found the 6105's to be just a tad high for my liking anyway, so ended up having him do a level, crown and polish, and brought them down to a 6125 height (which I consider perfect.)

So all that being said, I liked it enough with that issue aside, to deal with it and get it nailed down. Definitely one that I'll be keeping, and the CS 54's are great pickups.

Enjoy it! :cool:

jtpal25

I found the 6105's to be just a tad high for my liking anyway, so ended up having him do a level, crown and polish, and brought them down to a 6125 height (which I consider perfect.)

I love that color, it's almost olympic white, but a touch of blue!

The taller frets were the only thing that I was thinking I wouldn't like, but I figured that they can always come down a little. I planned on playing it a while and then taking it to Chicago Fret Works (Wilco's Luthiers) to have them set it up. They are magicians there!

Yama Arashi

Yes Sir, their finishes/colors on this line are great.

The color of the guitar in the case is the most accurate in person - it can look white/gray in some direct light, especially sunlight, almost to the point that you don't realize it's blue until you flip it over and see the contrast with the back cover.

The frets were definitely playable mind you - I have a somewhat heavy hand, and just felt like they had a bit too much 'sponge' (akin to a scalloped board perhaps, but not that extreme) and prefer to have more fretboard contact when fretting the string/notes.

The Fender nut/neck width can be a little narrow in relation to the overall bridge/saddle width, and how close the E string/s are to the edges. With the taller frets, the fret edges need to be angled in a bit more, which doesn't help with that "issue." A shift in the neck pocket to even it out as best as possible, and pushing the saddles fully in/together helped.

Funny point to mention - I've never bought a brand new Strat/double cut prior to this guitar, and I always have the bridge decked/don't use the whammy. When I first got it, I could hear something 'loose' when I was turning it over. Ended up pulling the pickguard assembly off, the input jack, checked the block and springs, and could not figure it out.

It was the small whammy bar compression spring in the bridge, held inside there underneath the silver sticker, lol. Idiot. :bonk

Last edited:

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
I have one of the 2016 TS Jazzmasters - plus a few AVs. I think you will be smiling for a while once it arrives :)

I can't see where you are, but if it's cold where you live - it's probably going to be really hard waiting for it to reach room temp between delivery and the time you can unbox it.

Happy incoming NGD :beer

jtpal25

I have one of the 2016 TS Jazzmasters - plus a few AVs. I think you will be smiling for a while once it arrives :)

I can't see where you are, but if it's cold where you live - it's probably going to be really hard waiting for it to reach room temp between delivery and the time you can unbox it.

Happy incoming NGD :beer
I'm in Chicago unfortunately.

Jason_77

But also very important!! I got an Es-345 a few weeks ago that developed a finish crack near the nut because I didn't let it sit long enough before opening the case. I let it sit a few hours, opened it up to check it out and everything was great. The next day, there was a small crack in the lacquer that wasn't there before. I get a sour feeling in my stomach every time I see it.

Congrats on a beautiful guitar... but be patient!!

Trending Topics