New Guitar Day!!! Ibanez Content!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ♫♪♫, Jun 21, 2008.

1. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

Ok, so I teach guitar. Anyway, after saving up for a while, I wanted to buy a nice playing and sounding guitar.

I wanted a set neck with good upper fret access. I wanted either a 2 point tremolo or a T-O-M, or a stop tail of some sort. I wanted a good range of tones.

Well, here is my journey.

First went and tried a couple PRS SE Singlecuts. Ok sounding guitars if you are into classic rock I guess, but the playability sucked as the neck was too big and chunky for me and upper fret access was poor. Next, tried a few schecters. Tried a C1 plus, sort of liked it. Tried a few others, and still meh. The necks were a bit thick for me, and the tones were ok I guess. Tried some that sounded alive, and other sounded just plain dead. Also tried some Ibanez SZ's. Wanted to like them, but the body was just way too heavy and thick for me. Trying to reach upper frets was quite unpleasant.

Anyway, today I went out and tried some more guitars. Tried an Ibanez SA guitar and liked the neck a lot. Then tried a couple ESP guitars, H500 and H1000 I believe. Unplugged, the ESP's sounded good. Neck was good, upper fret access was excellent. Now, plugged in. Clean, quite nice. Not as clear as I would like, but yeah. Turned on some gain. Mush. Undefined mush. No definition or clarity. Plus, changing the pickup selector did next to nothing with gain. Also tried a schecter blackjack and a couple others I can't remember the name of. Even tried a Fender spalted maple telecaster model made in South Korea that had two humbuckers. Sounded nice actually, and the neck was great. Almost went for it.

Tried even more guitars, but kept coming back to the Ibanez SAS36EXFM. Full Thick DEFINED Tone (Notice I said Full, not dull or muddy...there IS a difference). LOTS of Usable Tones. Split bucker worked excellent. Rung acoustically really well, great sustain. Bridge kept in tune with quite a bit of abuse. Very chimey and just plain musical. With high gain, it still maintained plenty of clarity and punch. Seriously, I could do jazz with this guitar, and that is no joke. It is an absolutely great soloists guitar.

Tried a couple other Ibanez SA series guitars before I tried this specific one, and they just didn't mesh with me. This one did however, and I bought it. 650$ out the door with a hard case and straplocks for added safety.

Super happy today. Found the perfect guitar for me. :D

here it is:

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=SAS32EXFM

2. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

but in a cherry red type stain...beautiful.[​IMG]

3. will132

will132 Member

Nice, congrats on your find.

4. 5E3

5E3 Member

Looks great! :AOK

Does that have one of those thin Wizard necks? Also, how heavy would you say it is? If you don't know the weight, just a light/medium/heavy guestimate would do :)

5. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

Neck isn't wizard thin or anything. Just comfortable. Hard to describe, (maybe a medium D shape) but seriously if you get the chance try a few out.
    Fairly light. Maybe a bit lighter than a regular stratocaster. It is made of mahogany :D ;)

I tried a couple RG's and those necks are seriously thin. This neck is thicker and a bit rounder.

6. 5E3

5E3 Member

How would you describe the neck carve?

7. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Congrats! Now start shredding ;)

8. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

Love it!!

Looks like something I would love to play!

9. 5E3

5E3 Member

10. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

well, I think it really depends on your playing style. Lots of players play with their thumb behind the neck, and I find they prefer fatter thicker necks. Those who play with their thumb behind the neck primarily, often choose thinner necks. From what I can tell anyway.

11. gitars noobiest

gitars noobiest Member

so, would you for instance be able to play metal on this ( im not talking too heavy)? does it sound good with distortion? could you describe how the tone please.could you play blues?

any reply would be appreciated

12. Stringz

Stringz Member

That guitar has just the right amount of bling. Enough to make people want to look at it, but not so much that it strikes them with blindness (or an uncontrollable urge to vomit) every time they do.

13. gtr player

gtr player Member

Absolutely beautiful guitar. HNGD!

14. raine36

raine36 Member

That's a hot guitar. I'm looking at its counterpart without the flame. How's the bridge? Is it floating or surface-mount?

15. stryker59

stryker59 Supporting Member

very nice!! congrats on the score!!

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Those are truly great guitars ... Played one the other day and was extremely impressed ...
    Good choice