New guitar honeymoon

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by filtersweep, Mar 6, 2015.

1. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

I recently purchased a '13 LP Custom. I really wasn't in the market for another guitar, but it was literally like-new, and cost 1/3 what a comparable new guitar would cost. I am loving this thing. It would normally be out of my price range, but given what I paid for it, I intend to wear it out with playing it.

The thing is, I have 6 other guitars. Two are decent Fenders. The rest are great deals on Asian guitars (Ibanez and LTD). I am a hoarder by nature, but I am seriously considering selling 2 or 3 of them. There is nothing wrong with any of them, and while one, I will definitely unload, the others serve a purpose. It is nice to just 'have' a semi-hollow, and a hollow-body guitar.

Here is where it gets a little crazy. I have 5 bicycles as well-- and my cheapest bike (25 years old) actually gets ridden the most. I don't care about the weather, or where I park it-- I don't worry about it. It is a beater bike. But because it is a beater rescued from the trash, I have the closest emotional relationship with it. Same thing applies to the guitars. That cheapo Ibanez has it frets worn down because it has been played to death. It has bumps and bruises because it isn't just wall art. I don't 'care' about it---- so it gets played everywhere.... and thus I care about it. It is nothing to brag about-- just a humble Chinese-made Ibanez (built flawlessly, BTW- for what it is).

What are the odds that I will regret selling some of these undervalued guitars? I have no motivation to sell them other than to save space, and assuage a bit of guilt for an unplanned purchase.

2. iowa

iowa Supporting Member

First, congrats on the new guitar.
    Second,:worthless
    Third, unless you really need the money or space, don't sell just because you think you should. With your emotional attachment to the guitars, you will undoubtably regret selling.

3. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

I regret selling every guitar I have ever owned--- even that Kramer would now be sort of 'cool' again. That 70s Ibanez would now be vintage. That SG with the fat neck..... I am into fat necks now. That early 80s Strat.... my biggest regret. That bass I used with my cassette 4 track... would now be cool with Cubase.

4. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

They're just guitars. No regrets here selling because the newer replacements were always better.