New Guitar - Les Paul Traditional

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by doveman, Feb 14, 2009.

1. doveman

doveman Member

I've had 8 Les Pauls over the years but I parted with the last one back in 1980. I stumbled on this one while buying XLR cables for a PA system. Fell in love with it ... my wife was with me. We've always talked about picking up an LP if I ever found a really nice one. Well we talked it over at lunch after playing it and went back for it. I've played it twice live now and it's killer ... really pleased.

Here she is:

The far edges seem a bit more black in some of the pictures than they really are ... it's an Ice Tea finish ... more of a two-tone top. Hard to get a good picture of the grain patterns as they appear with flash but just room light seem to have this darkening effect. So the edges are really slightly more brown-ish than they appear here. The first picture (taken with flash) is closer to the real color of the top. So you have to use your imagination in the other pictures ... a bit. But w/o the flash you can see the grain in the top a bit easier. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Congrats and enjoy! The LP Traditionals are excellent guitars.

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

I played one (iced tea) this afternoon and fell in love as well. I played it against a Standard and there was no comparison IMO. I did like the Nuetrik (sp?) input on the Standard but all and all the Traditional was a winner for me.

Congrats, that's a beautiful guitar!!!
    Bill

4. doveman

doveman Member

I played a cherry Standard that same day ... it was lighter ... didn't feel like it had as much sustain. Nice guitar but had some upgrades that didn't exactly work for me. But this one felt good.

Finally got a chance to take some pictures with natural light outside ... should have just waited to do that. These are pretty accurate. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. paul1122

paul1122 Member

6. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

That's beautiful doveman!

I've been gassing for a '57 VOS Gold Top but now I'm wondering about a Traditional Gold Top considering the cost difference.

Do you find with the weight relief it compares to a non-relieved LP if you've done so?

7. doveman

doveman Member

Mine weighs in at about 9 pounds even ... heavier than the Standard which has the weight relief CNC cuts. However, the Traditionals have some swiss cheese holes too. From what I've read, many LPs have been weight relieved for many years just due to availablility of lighter mahogany.

I can tell you that the Traditional has a lot of sustain and really sounds good even unplugged. The Standard I tried was probably 7-7.5 pounds.

But I think you're gonna have some kind of spaces inside many LPs now. I for one am thankful for it. I've got a buddy with one of the heaviest LPs on the planet. I would hate to have to support that one for a whole night ... I have lower back problems. This is still my heaviest guitar though.

I've owned 9 Les Pauls including this one ... all in the 70's and early 80's ... I believe this is a really good one.

8. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I just got a desert burst and love it. The plekd thing makes the harmonics jump off. The best standard like lp since the 01 standards.

9. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

10. 5E3

5E3 Member

Love the color and wood grains. Awesome looking and I'd bet it sounds even better! Congrats :AOK

11. doveman

doveman Member

It sounds pretty good. The plekd fretwork seems really precise ... so it was easy to setup.

12. Bankston

Bankston Member

Beautiful LP. Congrats.

I'd like to take the marketing genius who decided to rename the Standard as a Traditional and flog him with a horse whip.

13. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

Man, that thing looks glorious. Play it for me!

14. doveman

doveman Member

I'll have to make some recordings soon. I used to do that more often, but a new live band has been taking all of my spare time. Our first two gigs are in two weeks ... been rehearsing a lot. But so far the guitar is holding it's own really well.

15. doveman

doveman Member

After playing at 6 rehearsals and feeling pleased, our first gig (my first live gig with an organized band in quite a while) with this new guitar last night. I took only this guitar to simplify things ... played it all night. It was fantastic through my Brown Note D'Lite 22/33. I only used a few pedals sparingly ... so mostly the amp and guitar doing it's thing. Slide felt really good too.

Sweet :)

16. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

:love::drool:love:

I am speechless, hopefully the smilies express my opinions, it looks a lot like my beloved LP custom.

17. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

In my opinion the most impressive part of your story is the fact that you discussed this purchase over lunch with your wife. If I wanted to spend this much on a guitar I would likely have to keep it under the radar or face certain punishment!!

Nice guitar though!!

18. doveman

doveman Member

More important ... she talked me into buying it ... not much arm twisting was required however. :D

19. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Would you two consider turning Mormon so your wife can have multiple husbands?

20. doveman

doveman Member

She laughed and said ... I don't know ... sounds kinda weird ...

Then she said does he do housework ... geez ... now look what you started.

:confused: