NEW GUITAR, new clip (Soloway)

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by abergdahl, Jul 6, 2006.

1. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

So i got a Soloway Swan, BLUE ;) with blade single coils. Got the first chance to plug in and do a QUICK clip today. The backing i had ready was Help the poor (again :eek: ) . Lightly distorted setting on the Mystique Blue star, i start with bridge pu, at around one minute it's neck pickup, sound "Gilmoreish" to me. I really like the sound of the guitar, the 27" scale makes it special.
    Clip here

Since it's a Robben song i made sure to include some CLAMS :D

2. fatback

fatback Member

That sounds great. The Swan really seems to match-up with the amp's natural tone. Now let's see some pics of that Blue-boy!

:D

3. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

That was great - but you really shot up into the stratosphere when you switched to the neck pickup - that tone was amazing! Nice work.

4. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

THANKS :) I agree that the guitar sound really great with that ampm espesially the neck pickup was a pleasent surprise.
    A full review and pictures of the guitar can be found in the Small company Luthier section. Here's on e picture just to get for the looks:
    [​IMG]

5. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Nice! That guitar sounds as cool as it looks!

6. lhallam

lhallam Member

Nice unique sound. Purty too. Go out kick some butt!

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Nice piece Anders. That neck pick up has really great tone. What is it?

Best, Pete.

8. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Thanks guys :BEER .
    I think that there are two reasons for the great neck sound on this guitar. It is VERY clear sound thanks to the 27" scale length. The neck pickup sound is very articulate and bright on all Swans (at least that's what a gather from listening in soloways site). So that in combination with a powerful single coil makes the recipe for a real strat on steroids sound.
    As what these pickups are i just now that Jim Soloway calls them blade pickups and thay are made by Vintage Vibe.
    here's a link i found by Googling:
    http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/pickup_sc.html
    Maybe Jim can tell us more about what makes these pickups special...

9. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

I was just a www.tonemerchants.com this week and they have two swans in stock that are pretty sweet. They have a white one with some silver p-90-ish/humbucker looking pickups with two rows of big bullet polepieces each that is pretty damn sweet!

Go Jim Soloway!

10. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Thanks Karl.

The pickups in that white Swan at TV Jones TV'trons. So they're actually very Gretsch-like with a bit more output in the bridge.

The pickups in Ander's new guitars are made by Pete Biltoft of Vintage Vibe. He's a very small pickup maker in Northern California and a true wizzard. One of his special talents is his ability to mutate P90 style construction into different forms. In the case of the blue Swan, those are slightly underwound P90 types on a humbucker sized mount with blades instead of screws. It makes them very much like the old Charlie Christian pickups from the late 40's. The blades seem to make the pickups smoother with a bit less grit than a true P90's and there's a much true output on bends.

One really nice feature on the blades is that Pete has some design tricks that he uses to reduce hum. They're true single coild pickups, but they're actually quieter than several humbuckers I've encountered. We're planning to do a Swan with three of the blades and a five way switching system sometime over the next few months and I think that's going to be a wonderful setup.