1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

New guitar OR amp?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by thecrowe, May 24, 2011.

1. thecrowe

thecrowe Member

I've been playing mostly my acoustic up until recently, but I've started to play electric a lot more in church etc.
    Anyway, I really need a new guitar and amp but I only have enough money for one...

I'm playing a yamaha Pacifica into a digitech rp500, which usually goes straight into the PA, but sometimes I have to use my Roland cube 15 for practices. I've saved up about £500 for either a PRS se semi hollow or an Egnater tweaker. (unless you have any better recommendations in that price range.

So should I get a new guitar or amp first?

2. Big B

Big B Member

If you have to play direct at church, then I'd lean towards a new guitar. What equipment problem are you trying to solve? Tone? Playability?

3. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

cube 15 isnt a bad amp for practice. id go for a new guitar then save for a nice amp.

4. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

I've heard cheap guitars sound AMAZING through great amps...I've not heard an amazing guitar sound great through some ****** amp.

If you like the way your guitar plays, get the amp.

5. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Tube amp and good pickup swap might do it for you.

6. thecrowe

thecrowe Member

Thanks for the replies! I'm leaning more towards the guitar at the minute, I like the simplicity of going straight to the PA... No micing etc.

Anyway, do you think the se custom semi hollow looks like a good guitar? The prs se range seems to have a really good reputation. Here's a bit of a review from music radar...

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/g...semi-hollow-electric-guitars-253799/5#content

by the way I play anything from jazz to blues to classic rock, Most styles except metal.