New Guitar Photos. Strat Plus

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by photoweborama, Jan 4, 2012.

1. DavidG

DavidG Member

Nice pix/guitar!! Have a 95 model with hipshot thingie in the back. Is mine a plus or plus deluxe? Anyone know?

The modern radius neck cramps my hand tho after a couple hours play. If I ever buy another strat (and I do love them) it will have an nocaster type neck...I love my nocaster! Thank u AJ

2. John C

John C Supporting Member

The main way to tell is that on a Strat Plus all 3 Lace Sensors have the gold label. The Strat Plus Deluxe will have some combo of blue label, silver label and red label Lace Sensors - and by about 1990 or 1991 they had settled in to it being the blue label in the neck position, silver label in the middle, and red label in the bridge. The Strat Plus Deluxes by this time also usually had ash veneers front and back on the body (or solid ash if you got the natural finish) and also had the "Deluxe Trem" with a snap-in arm.

You mention you have a 1995 Fender - by then they were using that single locking "Fender Floyd Rose" trem that didn't have fine tuners (later just called the "Deluxe Locking Trem") on the Strat Plus Deluxe (and Strat Ultra).

Basically - gold logo Laces and regular American Standard-style trem with the Hipshot trem setter means Strat Plus; ash veneers, locking trem, and blue/silver/red logo Laces means Strat Plus Deluxe.

3. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I still have my Strat+. Sunburst w/ 3 silver Lace sensors. Great guitar and one that I haven't let slip away. I love the pewter color of yours.

4. lord preset

lord preset Member

I have one in the same color. The Lace Sensors are gone in favor of SCNs.

5. DavidG

DavidG Member

Thanks. Mine are all gold logo laces= plus? Right? I couldn't give it away couple years back... Think I'll just hold on to it.

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

What camera and lens did you use?

7. geoangus

geoangus Member

miss my plus deluxe - sold it and a Marshall half stack in a rage when I had had it with all things band related!!!!

8. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

I keep coming back to look at that guitar. I don't know if it was the paint or the case, but I can still remember that smell.

Which kind of nut does it have?

9. cmnyc

cmnyc Supporting Member

I have a 1987 (E4 serial number) strat plus in the same color, with a rosewood neck. Picked it up a few years ago from Elderly for $675. It has one of the best necks I have every played and is my go to guitar. Strat snobs look down on the strat pluses but lots of folks love them. Here is a great site with lots of information of the pluses:

http://xhefriguitars.com/index.html

10. photoweborama

photoweborama Member

These things have an LSR roller nut.
    The owner picked it up yesterday.. I already miss it...

11. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Beautiful guitar! Congrats (EDIT): to the guy that owns it.

12. Drewboy

Drewboy Member

I always liked the look of those bridge saddles on the plus strats. Great picture.

13. Stormin

Stormin Tele's and Plexis Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

That's Pewter. It's one of the original 5 Clapton colors.

14. SFW

SFW Member

I'm in the process of putting together a Plus inspired Strat. One of these days, I need to buy another one. The one I had in the 90s was just sa damn nice. I really regret selling it.

15. photoweborama

photoweborama Member

On this guitar I used a Nikon D3000 with the stock 18-55 lens, and all the automatic stuff disabled.
    I'm still working out the kinks on this camera. Not exactly the results I want, but very close.

Most of the shots on my web site before December 2010 (when I got the Nikon) were shot with a Fuji FinePix S5200 and an S5100. We still have the S5100, but I sold the S5200.

I have a few more things I can try on the Nikon, but to me, it seems I got crisper guitar photos with the Fuji. I don't think I'd completely dump the Nikon because of it's versatility, but I might get another Fuji for the guitar photography. The new models are only running about $300.00.

16. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I'd suggest getting a 35mm 1.8 or 50mm1.8 lens for your Nikon. I think the 50 won't auto focus on your camera but the 35 will. The 35mm is more versatile for indoor shots anyway and seems a bit sharper and to let a bit more light in. Either lens is an unbelievable value and a considerable step up from the already very decent 18-55 and the 1.8 allows you to get the blurred backgrounds without being terribly far away from the subject.

I'm a hack at best, but here are a couple shots from my D50 and 35 1.8:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Nice shot. I used to have that very guitar in that very finish except with a Hot Rails in the bridge. It played great but was a bit of an anchor, sadly.

18. Nada

Nada Member

i had one of those back in the late 90s. great guitar that treated me very well for what i was doing back then. beautiful pics too!

19. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

I have Nikon D700 and a Lumix DMC-LX3. Initially, it was easier to get crisper shots with the Lumix (Leica 2.0 lens) but once I started shooting in RAW with the Nikon things tightened up quite a bit.

20. photoweborama

photoweborama Member

Actually on this kind of stuff I go for a very wide depth of field.
    I try to make the entire guitar tack sharp. I shot this one at F16, but I'm going to go smaller on the next one to see if I could get it sharper.

Our Fuji cameras only went to F9, but as I said earlier, the guitar photos out of them were sharper. I've heard that for closeup photography, the smaller sensors produce better detail. I'm not sure it that is true, but it seems like it is to me so far. YMMV