New guitar, probably SG, but...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by flavaham, Feb 8, 2012.

1. flavaham

flavaham Member

Any suggestions for a new guitar? I'm leaning towards a Gibson SG Standard. I've played a few recently and I really like how they feel. I'm trying to keep it around $1200-ish. I play mostly rock, blues and jam-band kind of stuff. (Zep, Dead, Hendrix, Allmans, Etc...)

I'm hoping to have the $$ by Friday to do this. I'm pretty sure I'll end up grabbing the SG but I figure I should ask around a bit while I still have a minute.
    Thanks!

2. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

It's such a personal decision. If you like an SG go for it. An SG was my first "real" guitar and main guitar for years. You won't get an argument from me. :)

3. TrickinSid

TrickinSid Member

I really like SG's.....and I think it would be a fine choice.

4. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

If your asking this on a forum, it means you are unsure...ive been there myself so no offense...1200 is a lot of clams to spend so you want to make sure its right

take the cash to gc and play everything you can get your hands on...set aside an entire afternoon to do this if possible...

i love sg's...they are the les pauls dirty little sister...

most guitars I bought, I walked into the store to look at something ELSE and ended up liking something better...

5. philamag87

philamag87 Silver Supporting Member

An SG was also my first REAL guitar and was my main guitar for over 10yrs. I've recently been playing my 60's Tribute LP and really like it. I play classic rock and the jam band stuff too. Once I got my SG sounding like I wanted it's been an awesome guitar! Light weight, easy upper fret access and good tone. I agree with the above post to play every guitar in your price range, cause you never know which guitar will speak to you the loudest.

6. bsic

bsic Member

Love SG's! It's a matter of taste but I love the light weight, great upper fret access, and the BALLS of the sg. Great choice IMHO!

7. Mikey2201

Mikey2201 Member

I just bought a new SG Standard and I love it. Fit and finish is excellent no blemishes etc, frets are excellent (pleked) and playability is excellent.

However I am probably going to rewire it because it has that circuit board wiring. Everything( pots, switch, pickups) is wired to the circuit board and not each other. Played thru a tube amp and you wont hear the difference but i play mostly thru modeling and you can hear the difference.
    I give it a 9 out of 10 and I would buy another one.

8. slpayne

slpayne Member

i had one of the faded sg's and traded it for an ibanez s series when i was going through a shredder phase in my playing....worst mistake ive ever made. i WILL be gerting a standard when i have the $$...gibby sg's are great guitars, if you do end up with one, you wont regret it

9. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

You can easily get a standard for that price. Play them all and pick out the one you like. I played a great one yesterday.

10. Sun Creature

Sun Creature Supporting Member

I say get it. SG's are crazy cheap these days and like others mentioned, can easily be obtained for three to four hundred under the price you mentioned.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    For the style you play SGs are perfect imo.
    Better than LPs :)

12. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

You might also like an HSS Strat or a Tele with a humbucker in the neck. I also think the SG is a good choice though. Also check out some used PRS Starlas.

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia

hehehehe ahh probly not - they are totally different beasts to an SG :huh

14. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I'm very aware of that but I was suggesting those because of the music he is interested in.

15. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

I got an SG for Christmas and I really love it. Neck access is great, very light and thin guitar, well balanced, --- and yet it's tone remains warm and chunky.

If you want something a little brighter that's a little more versatile (with split coil tones), the PRS Mira is an excellent choice. It's very similar to the SG in many respects, but it is definitely a brighter / hotter sound.

16. flavaham

flavaham Member

Thanks for the responses guys!!

I've played on the SG several times now and really dig it. I am pretty positive that this is the guitar I want. I figure though, it doesn't hurt to see if there is something else being overlooked before I drop $1200-$1300. (that's kind of a lot of cash in my world!! haha) Basically, you all just confirmed that I'm getting the right piece.

Thanks!! I'm friggin' super psyched to go grab this thing!!

17. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

I was skeptical about SGs until I finally bought one -- now that's *almost* all I play at home. I just love her sound cranking through my Mesa. :aok

18. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

The SG Standard is a great guitar. But, if you like P90's you might also want to take a hard look at the Classic. The only real difference is cosmetics and if you don't really care about the extra inlays and can do without paying the extra $3-400 for them the Classic is a killer deal for around $900. Don't know if you are already aware of this so I'll mention the fact that Gibson now uses plastic imitation mother of pearl on all of their guitars up to and including their $12,000,00 collectors model. Not trying to knock anyones guitar but $400 is a big price hike for plastic inlays when you consider that many low cost import guitars still sport genuine mother of pearl at a price tag for the entire guitar that is comparable to what Gibson charges for their plastic inlay option alone.. I'm not that big on cosmetics but when I pay enough money to deserve the real thing I'd like to think I got what I payed for. I certainly wish I had known about it before I bought my $2800 137 Custom. I guess it's my own fault but I foolishly thought that with a company like Gibson and at that price level genuine MOP would be a given. My mistake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012