New guitar purchase excuses

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 61Ephramite, Feb 11, 2008.

1. 61Ephramite

61Ephramite Supporting Member

So you see a new guitar that you can't walk away from. Your problem is that your wife/spouse thinks you have too many already. How do you justify to her taking another one home?

I may need to use this info a little later. LOL!

2. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

3. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

My wife and I have joint accounts and our own personal accounts. She doesn't care what I buy (although if I get a guitar she thinks is particularly pretty or ugly she'll let me know :D).

-Austin

4. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

Here are some of my tactics:
    1. Tell her you are going to get rid of one of your other guitars then hope she forgets about it. **
    2. Tell her what a great deal it is and that you are going to play it for a while and sell it for a profit. Hope she forgets about it. **
    3. Order online and have it sent to your workplace. Hope she doesn't find out.**
    4. Tell her that a friend is letting you borrow it for a while.
    5. Beg for it. They like that.
    6. Do all those honey do's that she has been trying to get you to do and has been on your butt about for six months then then beg for it.
    7. Buy her something that she has been lusting for then ask for it. This costs you twice as much but generally works out best in the long run.
    8. It is easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!

** Women rarely forget things and usually find out when we try to slip things past them.
    Disclaimer: These are tactics that I have used and results may vary.

5. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

I've stopped taking my wife to the guitar store. The last time I did I found myself trying to explain to her that the $1299 Fender Strat is not the same as the $149 Squire next to it despite the fact that in her eyes they look absolutely identical. She asked what the differences were and the only way I could explain it to her was by saying, "this one's just, um, better."

She looked at me like I would be an idiot to prefer the $1299 guitar over the $149 one.

6. dave s

dave s Member

I gig and make money so the only money that gets spent on gear has already been earned.

But, I've done this at music stores and it's worked out: If there's a piece of gear that I want and would use on a regular basis at gigs, but don't really NEED, I ask the salesperson to quote me an out-the-door price that I can't walk away from.

Then, if the new piece represents an 'upgrade' to what I currently use, I'll sell the replaced item if the resale price is acceptable.

My case may be different than others because I really don't own much excess gear. Pretty much everything I own goes to gigs and helps me earn MORE GEAR MONEY!!!! :jo

dave

7. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

...because I am breaking up with you.

Had a girlfriend, which wasn't "the one" and it was just lagging too long. About 6 weeks after her griping about me buying a 1966 Stratocaster I got rid of her.

8. bassman

bassman Member

Scorpio I just used those first 2 excuses for my last 2 guitars.

9. Bob V

Bob V Member

"Oh, that is a nice guitar and it's not too expensive, buy it.....You bought it??? then you won't get anything else for our anniversary."

"Oh, that is a nice guitar and it was a great deal....but don't expect anything else under the Christmas tree."

Works for me. Love is never having to explain why you "need" another guitar. Of course both times I had to go to the jewelry store.

And don't fall for it if she sees someone on TV and says "That's a pretty guitar." She knows it's Frampton, and she knows it's an iconic black beauty Les Paul Custom with gold hardware and she's just torturing you.

10. sqadan

sqadan Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmaoIf it were only this easy for some of us!

11. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

This one was "the" one. I had to buy it!

It's just not possible to leave some guitars at the music store. And anybody who doesn't understand that, doesn't have a right to question your purchase.

12. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

13. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

She's probably just jealous so buy her one too. Heck get her some lessons too while your at it.

14. cram

cram Member

no excuses - just results.

I build stuff for the home that usually costs thousands at a furniture store (custom shelving, coffee tables, back deck, basement finished). I'm WAY ahead of the curve in the cost/benefit ratio.