new guitar rig time

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MrDoty, Jan 15, 2008.

1. MrDoty

MrDoty Member

so I have do do something about my tone. I hate it right now. Im either playing a thd flexi50 through a 4x12 with g12h30's and using a ac booster for solos (just not doing it for me). or an old deluxe reverb with said pedal on all the time 9I like this tone). Ideally I want to have a good grab and play rig bucause Im playing a lot of gigs these days, and a 4x12 is just not cool to lug around all the time and the deluxe is just not loud enough for some gigs. I think I have given up on finding an amp with a built in overdrive that i love. the only thing i have played that I adore is a fuchs TDS and there is no way in hell that I can afford that.

that being said I think i am going to have to do the clean amp with pedals in front philosophy. really I want a combo amp that can be way louder than the deluxe and take overdrive pedals well. I was thinking about one of those groove tubes amps the soul-o-45. that seems like the ticket. can you guys recommend some combo amps under 80lbs that will be loud, clean, consistant at the gig and take overdrive pedals well, as i think this is the route that Im going to take. it may also afford me the most diversity in tone as I play many different styles with the bands I play with,.

rock on!!

2. southpawmax

southpawmax Member

My vote goes for the Peavey Classic 50. Don't be fooled by the fairly inexpensive pricetag, it is very well made, and sounds great. There was another thread around here I saw that said Page played one on the Page & Plant tour, and if that's true, it's testament to how good the amp is!

3. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

The Heritage Patriot fits your description. Well worth checking out.

4. Crikey

Crikey Member

The Fargen Blackbird 40W version is a two-6L6 version of Fargen's blackface Deluxe Reverb inspired amp. If you dig your DR and want that but louder, check out the Blackbird's 30W (4x6V6) and 40W (2x6L6) versions.

The Divided by 13 FTR37 is awesome in that tonal ballpark as well.

Crikey

5. MrDoty

MrDoty Member

I like loud amps. there is something about 4 6l6 that I like. I had a twin but the damn thing turned into a piece of crap on me eventually and kept on breaking. is there a good 100 watter out there that I can pick up without killing me?

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Mesa time. their 70lb 1x12s are louder than sin, have great clean channels (okay, some of them), and will spit out anything you throw at them.

Also I would consider having Nik or another builder build you a Hiwatt clone and run it through a 2x12.

A third option... probably the cheapest and easiest, is replacing the speaker in you DRRI with something like an EV speaker with intense sensitivity levels... Something with a very high sensitivity level will double the volume of your DRRI.