New Guitar...Stainless frets or Nickel?....How can you tell?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by harritone, Feb 22, 2012.

1. harritone

harritone Supporting Member

Trying to tell if my new strat has stainless or nickel.....As I cannot do the magnet test...how can you tell if they are stainless or nickel?...Luster?...slickness?...Chemical test?....I was told they were nickel, but they look real shiny and feel slick

2. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Nickel-silver will tarnish over time. Stainless steel won't. What brand is your guitar-Googling the spec should tell you what material the frets are made of.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

4. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

The Jescar brand Nickel is pretty slick feeling and on my guitar has stayed untarnished, so a little difficult to tell on some frets if it's Stainless or not.

There's probably a simple chemical test which will slightly oxidize the Nickel Frets but not the Stainless or oxidize them a different color depending on the Alloy but would be dangerous so I'm not going to get into it here.

Many say the Stainless are very shiny and kind of "blue" ( but not the kind of Blue most would recognize- it's a real subtle shift ) or chrome color- but as said below if not there to compare both-a bit difficult.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I've never seen nickel, even new, as shiny and blinding as stainless steel. I never paid much attention but think it'd be easy to notice. Even on a brand new trem, I could tell the softer look of nickel parts vs. the stainless steel bling. But I guess if it's not right there to compare..

6. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Let me play it for a couple of months. If it's got divots, they're nickel. :p

JWW