New Guitar Suggestions! Help!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jakethesnake, Jan 15, 2015.

1. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Supporting Member

Hi guys, I'm looking into buying a new guitar.

Here is what I currently have:
    Gibson SG Standard x2
    Fender American Deluxe Strat
    Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
    Fender American Standard Strat
    Fender American Deluxe Tele (with humbucker in bridge, have the single coil if I want to swap it out)
    PRS SE (I think that's the model, its one of their entry level models)

I am interested in getting something somewhat different than what I already have.

Also, I refuse to buy any new Gibsons.

Here are some of models I'm thinking of:

Something with P90s:
    Fender Jazzmaster - very good canidate and fits into my price range
    Gibson Les Paul Special double cutaway - always wanted one of these but would have to go used route, can't seem to find a good price for one when they are listed on eBay.
    Collings 290 DC - Other option to Les Paul but kind of out of my price range at the moment.

PRS S2 Mira - played one a few months ago and really enjoyed it but it falls into the humbucker category that I have pretty well covered. Also, if I'm going PRS I'm tempted just to save up and buy one of the more expensive models.

Gibson Les Paul Standard - As with the Gibson mentioned above I would go the used route. Would just be a matter of time finding one for the right price and color.

Others out of price range that I will most likely save up and buy in the future:
    Collings I-35 LC - anything out there similiar for a cheaper price? Basically its this or the Gibson ES-335 model. Not interested in Ephiphone.
    Becker Retro - would love to have one

I really want to buy a new guitar soon but I'm also the type that likes to buy something of a quality build so I'm not sure if I should just hold off and save up for one of the more expensive options.

I'm welcome to other suggestions too!

Right now I'm leaning towards the Jazzmaster for P90s or the PRS S2 Mira because I enjoyed playing.

2. jpennington

jpennington Member

Les Paul!
    If you keep an eye on your local Craigslist and/or the emporium here I can't imagine it would take too long for one to show up for the right price.

3. vegarman

vegarman Silver Supporting Member

I was looking for a new guitar and played a collings city lights, it was amazing, but too expensive. I was able to purchase a used 290 single cut away and its the most playable guitar I own. I put away 2 very playable lps a 76 custom and a 87 lite lp, both nce guitars but I love the lollar p 90s!!

4. gregsguitars

gregsguitars Member

5. tnjazz

tnjazz Supporting Member

6. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jazzmasters are my favorite guitars. They are not P-90's though.

7. FumHucka

FumHucka Senior Member

try them all, pick what sounds and feels best to YOU, not what TGP tells you to get.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Something shreddy like an Ibanez with a Floyd?

A jazzy hollow body?

A Gretsch?

9. timmat

timmat Supporting Member

Go for something different, like a G&L Fallout. USA made ones are custom shop quality. Find an authorized dealer, and you can custom order your own specs. Pickup configuration of a splittable humbucker and a P90 gives you tons of tonal options.

10. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

Reverend Pete Anderson Signature. Will cover a lot of bases for you.

11. jakethesnake

Update: Going to a guitar stop Monday to try some stuff out.

PRS Mira is out. Will maybe play it again but just thought there was better options out there than that

Was thinking about this and will try some out. I use to play in a band where the other guitarist played one thru a Line 6 spider, horrible tone and feedback so I'm sad to say but that's all I think about when I see Gretsch and those are not good thoughts to have haha

Can't wait to try one out and it falls a little bit cheaper than I expected. I always thought they were P90s :facepalm so are they just special jazz master pick ups??

So right now I'm leaning towards the Jazzmaster or a used Gibson Les Paul.

12. onebigholiday

onebigholiday Supporting Member

Duesenberg Starplayer TV

13. Neo

Neo Member

Jump into a time machine and get a 2004-2007 Custom Shop Historic LP R7 or R8 back when they were going for 1700. Trust me, these Reissues are sooo much better playing and sounding than the Standards. Long neck tenon on the Reissues =Throatier tone on the bridge pickup even with the low output and the neck pickup sounds more articulate and flute like.

14. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Member

Right, Jazzmaster pickups are their own design, not found on any other production guitar.

15. jakethesnake

The guitar shop I'm going to also has Duesenberg. Will try them out. They got them a couple years ago. What's the story behind them??

16. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Yep. The size is similar to a P-90 but they are built entirely different.
    P-90's tend to be more mid-grindy. Jazzmasters are their own fantastic thing. Definitely check one out.

17. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Member

Jazzmasters are my favorite guitar also, and I'd say that the pickups on there are among the best designs. While you demo the Jazzmaster, think about what old Leo was going for when he designed that, how he approached what the perceived needs of jazz guitarists would be when he thought he could get them to buy his solid bodied instrument. He was going for warmth and clarity, with the individual notes being able to be well heard in the context of complex chording.

They don't break up like a P90, and they have all the high end clarity that Fender pickups are known for, tight, low bass and warmth throughout the midrange.

So that's the one thing about Jazzmasters that gives them their unique sound, the other is this phenomenon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_resonance

That tailed bridge back there gives a lot of overtones to the guitar as you play. Go ahead and strum back there while you are at it, and that's a representation of what you'll hear with the whole guitar. That's also why the Jazzmaster has such unique and great qualities when you use distortion, the extra harmonic content of the tailed bridge as well as the distortion's ability to emphasize certain overtones also can be wonderful and unique.

I'm not trying to sell you on the guitar- they aren't for everyone. Just telling you what you can look for when you are playing one (and get a real AV model or something with vintage specs). They are great guitars but aren't like other ones you've played, they are somewhat unique and you have to approach them for what they are and not what they are not.

Best of luck with whatever your decision is!

18. jakethesnake

Update:

My buddy who went with me to buy a new guitar (main reason we went) got a really nice American Standard Strat in Aztec gold with maple fretboard.

We looked around entire store. He's a Beatles fan so we checked out the Rickenbackers. Neither of us have played one so we gave the 620 a try as that was the one he was interested in. Sounded good but the shorter fretboard was very awkward and neck seemed thick. After that he decided the Strat was for him.

While he was trying the Strat, I tried the American Special Jazzmaster. Sound good clean but for some reason I didn't like the feel of the neck. My plan was to ask them if they had a black one in stock (only had sunburst on display) and try that out to see if the neck felt any better and try it thru an amp with some gain. Ended up that was the only one they had in stock and they could order me a black one. I said no thanks because I wanted to try it out. Most likely the neck would be similar between them but you never know.

I looked at the Gretsch and Duesenbergs. Gretsch selection was not that good and the few Duesenbergs were out of my price range.

So, I came home empty handed.

Now I'm searching the used market for a Les Paul or maybe a Jazzmaster.

19. jakethesnake

a friend on Twitter told me to check out Reverend guitars, never heard of them will check out their site.

20. custom53

custom53 Member

Totally agree with the "buying used" for the Les Paul.. But for P90's you might want to check out a USA Hamer Special..

Great guitars and less money than the Les Paul.. And they made them with Humbuckers too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And if you decide on Humbuckers try a EBMM Axis.. Great Guitars..! Although the one on the left is a EVH..

[​IMG]