New guitar: Volume is lower when overdriven with pedals. wtf?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Lution, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Lution

Lution Member

I just received last week a used Schecter C7+ from DocRock. The guitar was fitted with replacement pickups before I purchased it. Seymour Duncan 7-string 59' and Jazz pups to be exact.

The issue is when I hit it with any of my overdrive pedals the volume level is lower than my clean volume by a very noticeable amount.

With my Tele Deluxe my overdrives are all setup to give the level a solid boost along with the od. Works fine with my Tele Deluxe... doesn't work with my C7+.

What could be wrong? I don't think pup height would be an issue because the C7+ is louder than my tele when only running clean, but click on a OD pedal and squash... lower volume by alot. :(

:confused: HELP

Thanks

-Lution

2. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

It's compression. Lower the gain, up the volume on your pedals - that should fix it me thinks. :AOK

3. Lution

Lution Member

I'll try that, but if that works it will ruin the settings for my Tele Deluxe. I don't want to have to to change all my od settings each time I pick up a guitar. Not a realistic solution, sorry. ;)

I have no issues like this with my other guitars (other one is an Ibanez UV777GR with Dimarzio Blaze pups).

It just seems out of the ordinary.

4. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

No worries - they are just vastly different guitars so its hard to expect them to sound the same through any given pedals/amps.

Maybe a bit of experimentation with your pedals will sort it out - good luck :)

5. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

A deluxe tele has about 13kohm pickups...the '59 is around half that...you need more gain to get an equivelent boost

6. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Sounds like compression to me....my guitar does the same to me.

7. Lution

Lution Member

thanks guys. I'll fool around with it.
    I did notice, when I first unwrapped the guitar, that the bridge pickup was jacked way close to the strings, so I lowered it. perhaps I need to bring it back up.

8. Lution

Lution Member

I should make it clear that my other guitar is a 72' Telecaster Deluxe RI with the Wide-Range Humbuckers, not a Deluxe Tele.

It just seems confusing because the '59 output on the clean channel is louder than my Tele Deluxe, but when overdriven the output goes down on the '59. Strange. :worried

9. Lution

Lution Member

Ok, So I think I solved the problem.

I moved the pickups back up closer to the strings and it got worse and more squashed/muddy sounding.

So I moved the pickups down... a bunch.... and it started getting better and the level started sounding more normal. It's still a tad less output, but much better. I'll keep fooling with it and I'll also email Seymour Duncan to find out more about these pups.