New guitar with lacquer damage

ralfx

I bought this Ibanez JSM20TH two weeks ago. After a setup and fret leveling at the local guitar store, I noticed that there is some lacquer damage on the neck (at two places; see pictures). What do you think? Would you return it? Can the crack easily get bigger? Very much appreciated your help.
IMG_6669.JPG
IMG_6671.JPG
IMG_6668.JPG
IMG_6667.JPG

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Personally, if I'd not noticed it up front and I'd taken it somewhere other than the shop that sold it for a set up and fret work I wouldn't send it back. From the retailers point of view that could be damage from the repair shop, so it just creates an awkward situation where no one really knows who's at fault. I know others wouldn't have an issue doing it but I'd suck it up if it were me.

Irishbread69

I don't think you could return that in good conscience having had fret work done on it at another store.

I mean you could try your luck but I also think you need to suck it up. Given we don't know where the damage occured.

It might get worse but I reckon it'll probably be fine in the long run. Shouldn't really affect anything.

ccc

If you return it they can say you did that without having proof but there's also no proof that you brought it in without that damage either . Bummer.

I don't think it will get worse.

ralfx

Thank you very much for your responses!
Can these damages to the lacquer be fixed by a professional?

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like cracked binding to me. If that is the case, depending on how it got that way, it could stay like that forever or the crack could run to the ends and the piece of binding fall off. How does it feel when you run your hand along the binding? Probably cost some money but a good finish guy could probably do some kind of fill/cover up. And stabilize the crack.

ralfx

Thank you very much. I don't think the binding is cracked; it feels/looks like the lacquer is crumbling off.

Gitarman

Looks like something collided with the edge of the fretboard at some point. If the guitar came to you in that condition, I'd say return it. However, it's hard to say whether the damage was there before or after it went into the shop, so that complicates things.

If it was a guitar that I had for years and I noticed something like that, I'd probably just dab a little clear nail polish on there and forget about it. There's a very similar ding on my LP (right on the front edge where my forearm rests) that I treated similarly years ago and it hasn't budged since. Since it's an otherwise new guitar, tho... tough call.

NSDQRKR

I agree with others I would fill it in to prevent it from spreading. I would think you would have seen that when you bought it. May have gotten dinged up at the other shop.

Moony

Wow, imagine that, it’s not a Gibson! You mean other guitars have issues?

If it was a Gibson you would have a scraped off binding, tooling marks in the fretboard wood and square frets due to the Plek leveling without crowning afterwards.

So yes it's not a production flaw on this Ibanez guitar but maybe someone bumped the neck against something.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
If me, if the guitar plays great and sounds killer I wouldn't be bothered to do anything. If just ok, I'd return it.

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
I bought this Ibanez JSM20TH two weeks ago. After a setup and fret leveling at the local guitar store, I noticed that there is some lacquer damage on the neck (at two places; see pictures). What do you think? Would you return it? Can the crack easily get bigger? Very much appreciated your help. View attachment 638805 View attachment 638803 View attachment 638802 View attachment 638800

I’ve seen almost the same marks before.

I’d bet when the tech was dressing the fret ends he knocked into the side of the fretboard with the handle of the file.

Some file sets have a handle that slides on to the end of the file. Or a permanent handle. Almost like the handle of a screw driver. That’s why it has that half moon circular pattern.

NSDQRKR

Lesson learned: always take a picture of the guitar before handing it over for repair/set up/...
One thing I do with new guitars now is using a flashlight I completely look over the whole guitar. I recently bought a new Gibson Les Paul and I took about 15 minutes to carefully inspect it. Plugged it in to check pickups and controls. A flashlight really helps catch small cracks or finish cracks. Its hard because its so exciting getting a new guitar you can miss stuff. I agree the marks look like a file handle. If thats the case I would find a new tech or better yet do it yourself.

415Guitars

Tough one, window kinda closed after you took it somewhere else.

Does your tech do an inspection before performing work? At a minimum, it’s to protect the tech from false claims.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom