New guitar

LPJAM

UPS just delivered my new tele. the box has a big label on it saying not to open for 24 hrs so the guitar can get acclimated to new environment. first time seeing this. is it really necessary. any real benefits. the shipper, chicago music exchange put it on not, UPS. gonna kill me to have to wait 24 hrs lol

Jim85IROC

What's the weather like in your area? Is it seeing a 50-60 degree temp difference between the UPS truck and your house, or a 20-30 degree difference? In my experience, after a few hours inside, the whole thing is already up to room temp unless it's coming from a very cold environment.

sting7777

slinger of notes
Is it a nitro finish? Is it cold out? If yes then wait unless you like weather checking :)

stratchamp57

I just got a new guitar today with nitro finish as well and took it out of the box but left it in the case. The box was room temperature, but the outside of the case is a little cooler, and I'm not sure if I really need to wait 24 hours to open it(it's 70 degrees here).

sting7777

slinger of notes
check this out... Fender '65 Reissue that was opened too quick.. yes I took a hit on re-sale...
yp0NSN3l.jpg

Flash 442

I got a new Tele from Sweetwater last month label on the outside box said to wait 4-6 hours if it's below 45* outside,
I waited but not sure it matters with a poly finish.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
I've heard the firsthand story of a guy who bought a '55 Les Paul in excellent (closet-kept) shape and walked it to the guitar store to show the owner, a friend of his. He opened the case and they both went into shock as they literally heard the snapping sounds of a 40-year-old finish starting to crack and check.

broken_sound

Nerd
Gold Supporting Member
I've heard the firsthand story of a guy who bought a '55 Les Paul in excellent (closet-kept) shape and walked it to the guitar store to show the owner, a friend of his. He opened the case and they both went into shock as they literally heard the snapping sounds of a 40-year-old finish starting to crack and check.

latest

vortexxxx

I bought this 1969 Fender Mustang in super condition with no checking. Even though there was no sticker telling me to let it acclimatize, I waited a day before opening it. After all those years in this condition, I'd feel horrible if I caused it to check.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom