• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New Guitars Sounding Better After Months/Years of Playing

Adamclayton

I was just going to get a few takes on this subject since I don't see many people talk about it.

This has especially happened with my 2013 Les Paul 59' Reissue. When I first played it back in Feb-13 it was a great sounding and feeling guitar. Most the Historic Gibsons I've played new in store before 2013 varied quite a bit in feel and tone, but most the Reissues I played last year sounded really consistent and good.

Well a few months ago I was thinking of trading my Les Paul in for another 59' Reissue, was wanting a VOS and mine was gloss. Well after going to Eddies Guitars in St. Louis and playing over 10 different 2013 59's demoing mine VS all the others, it was clear that acoustically and amplified that mine was far better instrument as far as sustain, harmonics, richness and more boldness than the others, so of course I still have my baby.

I was wondering if this was a result of just letting the guitar to take time for glues to settel and the wood to get flexed from playing the crap out of it for about a year?

I know this is all pretty obvious with an instrument constructed of solid woods and glues, but just wanted to get some other takes on this subject from my fellow Gear Pagers. Thanks

M

Member 37136

I've heard solid-wood acoustic guitars whose tone improved over time as the wood underwent changes (the interior surfaces are unfinished), but a solidbody? In a year?

I seriously doubt it.

robertkoa

I've heard solid-wood acoustic guitars whose tone improved over time as the wood underwent changes (the interior surfaces are unfinished), but a solidbody? In a year?

I seriously doubt it.
Actually in a new Acoustic Guitar there is a LOT of "breaking in" especially IMO during
the first year where the Guitar becomes louder and especially more sensitive to softer
strumming, picking, fingerpicking etc.

IF you are one of those who plays an Electric unplugged a lot in a quiet room, you will
probably notice this on an Electric as well but at the reduced volume is more subtle.

I think Builders can,chime in here , Im sure they can tell you about Finishes, Glue Joints, and if they've noticed, but you don't need Betty Davis Eyes or EJ Ears to hear this IMO.

SPROING!

I know mine sound better the next year, since it often takes me months to get the setup tweaked in just so.
That's one thing I can't understand about the constant turning of inventory among some players. In most cases, I haven't even decided if I like a guitar inside of six months. No way I can learn the nuances of an instrument in that brief a time and I know they sound better once I figure out what they want to do and quit fighting it.
But none of that has anything to do with the guitar changing; it's me.

Gearaddict

If you have a few guitars. like most of us, then a couple get neglected from time to time. As soon as you whip it out after a while, you quickly remember why you still have it. If you play the same guitar day after day, then not quite so obvious.

Promit

This is usually due to poly finishes curing over the first couple months and settling into the wood. You won't get the same effect if you buy a new old stock guitar that's been on the shelf for a few months.

Admit it, a few of you believed me.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Between minor setup tweaks, adjustment of one's expectations, and just getting used to the capabilities of the new guitar it is hard to say but, yup, something starts to work better.

I haven't experienced it in my electrics. I think they've always sounded great and they still inspire me. If anything, they sound better because I've become a better player over the years. I'll report back once I hit a 5-year plateau where nothing changes in my playing or ability and we'll see how much my guitars have changed... :sarcasm

My '99 Taylor 414ce has not only become richer/sweeter in tone, but the spruce top has aged a bit to a slightly more amber color.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom