New Guytron GT100 F/V sound clips by Chris Delis

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by GDS Racing, Sep 16, 2008.

1. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

Guys,

I got these clips from Chris a few weeks ago but I just finally got around to putting them up last night. I really do not like working on webpages!

Check them out here... http://guytron.com/sound_set.html

Let me know what you think.

We are beginning to ship new Guytrons. The build rate is going to be low for a few weeks yet, but they are trickling out of the shop.

Thanks,

2. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

That sounds amazing! Great job on the amp and nice job on the sound samples too!

One of my favs
    Gregory

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Killer player. Nice clips. Well done!

4. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

especially love the last one (guytron plexi2)... that's a killer tone..

5. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Chris is just a flat out monster player, not to mention a real humble guy too.I always love his clips, and recordings.

6. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

Thanks guys. It has been a huge pleasure getting to know Chris over the last couple months. His CD is incredible too. I get lots of CDs from customers, clients, etc usually to hear a specific guitar or amp tone but far too often they are less than interesting to actually listen to. Chris's CD is beyond the level of great technical tones and recording - it is great music. I enjoy listening to it and I play it for friends that come over. As a matter of fact, the last friend that heard it, stole it. Now I either need to get it back from him or get a new one. :)

Pretty soon I'll be sending Chris a GT40 to do some clips.

7. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

great clips and playing by Chris :cool:

8. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Love that Guytron F/V amp...outstanding clips!

S.
    j

9. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

Wow what a swiss army knife, there's alot of great tones there, Nice player to boot, Bigtone

10. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

Bigtone,

Thanks, it is a very versatile amp even without the F/V controls but the F/V controls really let the amp play like other amps. Chris knows very well how to set the F/V knobs to suite the sort of tone he is trying to get.

Great screen name too BTW!
    [​IMG]

11. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

Hey Graydon-

Well done, my friend. The clips sound fab. Kudos. :BEER

One suggestion, if I might:

Post more suggested tones with a notated Focus and Voicing setting. I notice you did it on one of the new soundclips - I tried it out and it was really helpful. Just building off the old Guytron knob diagrams would really help folks get the most out of the amp I think and showcase its versatility.

12. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

Yes, absolutely. I plan to do that indeed. The F/V controls are probably the least understood controls yet they provide the most versatility in the amp. I plan to add the F/V settings to the suggested settings page and use that to show how broad a range you can get. Chris also gave me some notes about his settings for the new F/V clips and I'll add those asap.

For example, try this...

Set both A channel and B channel the same, Gain 9:00 - 10:00, tone 9:00 - 10:00. Adjust levels to match. Then boost global treble slightly. Set F/V controls both to position 3. This will set the power amp to run more like a big Fender amp and give you a wonderful low gain Dumble-y tone. The A channel has the sound of an '80s Dumble while the B channel has the sound of a '90s Dumble. What impressed me most about this tone is that you really get the bark on the initial attack that you hear so well on Carlton's Dumble. It is intoxicatingly beautiful.

I could play that all night. That is the "sound in my head" and the GT100F/V does it better than the D-clones that I have buit.

13. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

Something tells me I need one of those speakers!:BEER Bigtone

14. beej

beej Supporting Member

Great clips!

I have one of the first run of GT100s (recently rebuilt by Guy) and an F/V ... such incredible amps.

I definitely echo the sentiment of the F/V switches being misunderstood: having more info on how to use them on the site would be a huge advantage to potential customers.

15. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

Here is Chris' further explanation of how the F/V clips were made...

From Chris...
    ====================================
    "All clips recorded with the Guytron GT-100FV and Guytron closed back cab loaded with a V30 and Classic 80.
    Recorded with an IMac G5 running Cubase SL3 (at 24 bit 44.1k) with a Motu 828MKII interface.
    Signal chain is Royer R121 ribbon mic aimed about 14" from center of cab. Mic preamp is a Great River ME-1NV into the line input of the Motu 828. No compression or EQ was employed.

High gain clip info (1&2): Suhr Classic (alder/ maple board) with V60LP single coil pickups. B channel. FV and tone settings. V-4, F-3, gain 3 o'clock, tone 2:30, level 11, master volume 9, treble 7 or off, middle 9:30, bass 9:30, presence, 11:30. All sound changes done with either neck or bridge pickup and rolling down volume on guitar. Both clips totally dry.

B Channel Low Gain info. PRS McCarty bridge pickup. FV and tone settings. V-4, F-3, gain 10, tone 1, level 1, master volume 10, treble 9, middle 9:30. bass 12, presence 10:30 and a little reverb..

Plexi Clean A channel: Suhr Classic Neck pickup. FV and tone settings. gain 1:30, tone 12:30, level 12, master 10:30. treble 10:30, middle 10:30, bass 11, presence 12 and a little reverb.

Guytron Plexi 1 A channel: PRS McCarty bridge pickup. FV and tone settings. V-2 F-2, Gain 11, tone 2, master 10:30, treble 8, middle 10:30, bass 1, presence 9:30 and a little reverb added at the board.

Guytron Plexi 2. Same as above but gain at 3."
    ===================================

16. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Graydon
    The clips sound great! Good luck!!

17. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their kind words regarding the FV clips. I also want to thank Graydon for giving me the opportunity to help demo this great amp.

The old sample settings chart is really pretty obsolete at this point. About three years ago I did some recommended settings at the request of Paul Witulski at Guytron but I'm not sure what he did with them. If any FV owners would like some help with the FV controls feel free to PM me.

For myself I use the FV controls for a few different reasons. To match the type of guitar and pickups or to deal with the acoustics of a given room. In the studio I usually just decide what type of amp ballpark I want to be in and take it from there. Another thing that Guy Hedrick told me is to use the master tone controls judiciously. Generally I start with the treble really low or off, the mids at 9 o'clock, the bass and presence at noon and adjust from there.

18. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Chris -

Man, you sound wonderful, the FV too (GRIN). Great job, demos the amp wonderfully.

Nice touch on the guitar too.

Graydon, are you building these now? I had an early export model I got from a gut who got it from what turned out to be a somewhat shady psuedo-dealer in LA .... this FV model sounds better for me than that one did.

Thanks, Dana O.

19. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

Dana,

Yes, I am building the GT100 F/V and the GT20. The GT20 is available in both head and combo format. From now on, they will all be "export" models since they will have multiple voltage options on every amp. That is so easy to do these days, I figured it didn't make sense not to do that. I'd be curious to hear the story about the pseudo-dealer.

You're right about the F/V. It has the ability to really change the response and tonal character of the amp. The original GT100 was great but the F/V gives it the ability to be like alot of different amps. Guy Hedrick was over a couple weeks ago and we played a GT100 F/V beside my '55 tweed Deluxe. After a couple minutes of tweaking and playing, the GT100 F?V came remarkably close to the tone, gain and feel of the vintage Deluxe. I think if we had run the F/V through a small open back cab with a Jensen P12R, it would have been even closer.

I would highly recommend you guys check out Chris' CD. It is awesome just from a musical standpoint, but it is also a wonderful display of the abilities of the GT100 F/V. http://cdbaby.com/cd/chrisdelis

20. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I feel very lucky that I got to hear Chris last summer when he played a gig at my picnic grounds. I remarked about a thread on TGP about the Bose PA system he was using. He said he was part of that thread. Small world thanks to the net.
    Everything about Chris' performance was top shelf. Truly a very talented musician and good guy to have a burger with.