New Handwired Hiwatt Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mattk22, Jun 7, 2006.

1. mattk22

mattk22 Member

Anyone play any of these yet or see inside any of them?

2. stekks

stekks Member

These are OUTSTANDING! Both in sound and construction. My friend bought one. We both own a number of pretty cool vintage amps, and we tried at a dealer every big-name boutique amp. To both of us the Hiwatt stood out by a mile!

They look identical inside to the old Hiwatts, the military wiring, good components, flawless tolexing & eye to detail.

I always thought Hiwatts would sound a bit clinical, but that's not the case. Very musical amp but tight! Still tight when overdriven, and a heavenly low-E 'clunk'.

Highly recommended! I just scored an all original '72 DR504, it doesn't sound up to par with the new one yet.... but I hope after a recap it'll slay my friend's :rotflmao

3. mattk22

mattk22 Member

I am looking at ordering one of the Custom 20's, anyone try them?

4. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

No, but at the Chicago TF this weekend I played and saw inside the Reeves amps. For reference, my main amp is a '72 DR-103 and the Reeves stuff is completely authentic in terms of design, build quality, and tone. The only thing "missing" is the name on the badge. If you think about it, had Dave Reeves been less modest back in the 60s, my amp could have spent the past 34 years shouting REEVES in those big block letters.

- DB

5. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Played one of the Hiwatt handwired custom combos recently, don't know if it was a 20, 30 or 50 watt and don't know if it was 112 or 212. And I'm pissed because I thought it was the best amp in the store, which is filled with Dr Zs and great old fenders etc. Okay, the /13s were amazing too. But that's the caliber of amp the hiwatt compares to (different kind of tone, but in that league of quality, openness, etc) . If that one amp was any test, these are great amps. Gotta get one.

6. stekks

stekks Member

7. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

There's a thread somewhere on the Plexi Palace about the questionable construction of the new Hiwatts. You should read that before you purchase one. It includes pics. :crazyguy

8. stekks

stekks Member

That must have been a monday-morning model or something. My friends new Hiwatt is very clean inside and sounds killer to boot!

9. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

+1 on the Reeves. The chassis construction is totally in the same class as the new Hiwatts.

10. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I have one of the Custom 20s. Ed DeGenaro hipped me to it and it sounds killer through my THD 4x12. One of my favorite amps for sure.

11. Jerrod

I don't put a lot of stock in those threads... on this board or Plexi Palace.

12. e-z

e-z Member

A lot of the regulars on the Plexi Palace Hiwatt page are pretty knowledgeable, particularly Mark Huss. He has an excellent Hiwatt tech page on his website. If you want a 50 or 100 watter then get an original, they are cheaper than the new ones and show up regularly. Old cabs with original speakers are harder to find.

13. Jerrod

I'm referring to the rabble-rousers who post a photo that they claim shows shoddy construction methods of a particular builder and argue that nobody should buy those products. It happens on the internet in general, and not on any specific board. Yes, Mark is knowledgeable. 6AM posted here about the Plexi Palace thread and didn't include a link. I'm too lazy to go search for it, but the idea that somebody should be leery of the modern Hiwatt amps because of some internet thread that happened somewhere? I'm not getting sucked down that path.

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

That's a Biacrown if it's an 82. Not a bad amp...more gain than a Hylite. I'd jump on it for anything under $800, personally. You'll be hard pressed to do better in that range.

I love Hiwatts, and currently play a Harry Joyce Custom 50. There was one of those for sale on ebay the other day...#28 in fact. I think that's the one I sold to a gent a couple of years ago. I'd love to have it back, but they're commanding a pretty penny these days.