1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

New haynes Album.......Man in Motion

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by OldSchool, May 16, 2011.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Really digging this. I was just washing the car (Love bug season here in Florida) and this is my 3rd time hearing it. Am I the only one that keeps thinking what these tunes would have sounded like if he kept a few of them for the Allman brothers band?: My favorite Track off the the disc so far is "River is going to rise". Great song with a very driving drum beat. But can you imagine that tune with Butch , Mark, and Jiamoe? Geez. What I'm trying to say is , as much as I love the disc, I can't help but feel these songs didn't reach their full potential with a studio backing band , no matter how good they are. Then add some Dickey Betts...........:omg

Great album though, whats wrong with me?

2. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I'm waiting for mine to arrive from amazon.com. I did listen to the preview on rollingstone and liked it. Nice to hear Warren giving his R&B side a workout....a Van Morrison cover would have been cool too, but....It's Warren, it's gonna be great !

3. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

LOVE IT! My favorite release of his, by far, since the Deep End sets.

5. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I like his Mule stuff better-I'm hoping it will grow on me. It's not bad, but I miss the harder edge. Some people prefer this though judging from the other thread.

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

No , I'm with you. I truly like it though, I think the song writing is as strong as anything he's done. I just kinda wish he had Jaimoe, and butch, and Mark behind him.............

7. McQuade

McQuade Member

River's Gonna Rise was played by the Allmans on the 2011 Beacon Theatre Run.

8. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

It gets better the more I listen to it, but I also prefer the Mule stuff. I was hoping for more of an old school sound. This makes me think of a less polished Winwood album from the 80's (I can't hear Man In Motion without thinking of Split Decision for some reason, which isn't necessarily a bad thing). It is a good follow up to Tales Of Ordinary Madness though. Only took about 18 years. :)
    I'm REALLY excited for the Tedeschi/Trucks cd! Especially after their performance on Leno last night.

9. sgsupremep90

sgsupremep90 Member

Go to the Warren Haynes website - NEW tab. Check out the Imus clips. He's having a ball. The band is great. Ruthie Foster is a gem. Very cool stuff indeed. My appreciation for this CD is growing as I spend time with it.

10. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Digging this album big time! No. it isn't Mule, but it isn't supposed to be either. I'm lovin' Warren's vocals on this one. Nice to see him branch out with some different stuff.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Really? That must have been great . It totally suits them IMO. [​IMG]

12. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

I just heard a studio performance of his new band on XM's Jam On station. I really liked what I heard. I respect Gov't Mule, and would like to see them live, but I like the increased instrumentation of the new band a lot more.
    I'm hearing pianos, saxes, singing, organs, funk, all kinds of stuff, and when steps in for a guitar break, it's focused.

This new band could grow into something. I like it.

13. Mark Barna

Mark Barna Supporting Member

The problem, though, is that ABB hasn't had a studio CD since 2003. They've now relegated themselves to being an occasional live act-ABB tribute. To their credit, they don't even pretend to be anything more. There's not one bit of gossip about a possible ABB studio release in the future.

14. Heritage 80

Heritage 80 Member

Warren used guitars and an amp on the album lent to him by an esteemed member of this here very establishment!

15. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I have been enjoying this album all weekend, I love that it's so simple, although I hate using that word for this. Just great music! The guitar tones are awesome and the playing is awesome, he really plays with amazing taste and feel. I can pick up my guitar and play along and play his licks, but getting the feel and expression down is something else. I really dig it!! I think one of the best albums I've picked up so far this year.

16. gmann

gmann Member

I think it's a fantastic CD but then again I was raised on this kind of stuff. I do feel that a couple of the tunes would have been better served tone wise with a Strat or esp. a Tele. Then again, it's Warren, he's a Gibson guy and the tones are great as is.

17. Ben

Ben Member

Listening to it right now. Nice to hear the horns.

18. mario

mario Member

I'm listening to it at the moment. I think it's an awesome album. Great to hear Warren in a funky r&b setting.

19. Mule

Mule Member

I happen to have it playing in my CD player in the van. I really like Haynes phrasing on this album. Killer riffs but not anything over the top, very tasteful. ( I could learn something from that!) And tone...well there's nothing more to be said.
    This CD grows on you the more you listen to it.

20. DV52

DV52 Member

He is damn good. I have seen him with the ABB many times.I took my fiance's son to see the dead a few years back,lets just say that he stole the show from begining to end,hell he was the show.Sooo very talented.