1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

New Help Choosing Fuzz!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimothyDavidson, May 23, 2011.

1. TimothyDavidson

TimothyDavidson Member

Hello! I'm wanting to buy a fuzz, but i don't have a clue what i should get. I know that there ware many different types of fuzzes, and i have tired to do research but i don't understand the differences.

I really like the sound of John Mayer's fuzz. I don't want a wild fuzz, just a really big, thick fuzz that will cut though a mix. I HATE fizzy sounding fuzz pedals. I have only tried two or three fuzzes, and like i said, i have no clue what to buy. If it matters, my gear is in my sig. Please give me some recommendations. ;)

2. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Germ fuzzface, put it first in the chain, get the fulltone '69 mkII, if you don't like it you can sell it in minutes at the emporium.

3. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

I understand that JM has been using a Cornish fuzz lately. It's in the Muff ballpark, so start looking there. Something with a mid's knob to help cut thru the mix sounds like what your looking for.

4. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Germanium Fuzz Face or a Tone Bender

5. drolling

drolling Member

I'm pretty much of a hack player and it took me a long time to figure out that I had to change my technique to get anything good out of a fuzz pedal; No matter what I plugged into, all that came out the other end was 'In A Gadda Da Vida', baby!

I probably gave away/threw away some choice pedals before I realized the need to change pick attack, work the guitar's volume pot, etc.

So I wouldn't get on a year-long waiting list to buy a $500 pedal made from NOS transistors till I was sure I knew what I wanted & WTF I was doing

And I wouldn't buy some weird 'specialty' fuzz with lots of bells & whistles* yet, either

I own a few booteek fuzzes now, and love 'em all, but if I was getting my first one today, it would probably be a Dunlop JH-F1; Designed by Jeorge Tripps (the Way Huge guy), it's a very accurate recreation of those old Dallas-Arbiter FuzzFaces that go for a fortune on e-Bay. You could probably even try one before commiting any cash, as most store stock Dunlop product. It's cheap, too, and seems to be holding its value on the resale market

***EDIT*** oooooh, just remembered I recently picked up a BOSS Hyper-Fuzz second hand for a very reasonable price. Thing's got 2 modes; 'modern' & 'vintage' type sounds AS WELL AS a 'clean' boost function. And even tho' it's a BOSS, because it's long been discontinued, it's got *cork-sniffer* appeal! Still see 'em regularly in local pawnshops, going for next to nothing

6. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

if you're not into the wall of sound over the top fuzz, check out analogman's astrotone fuzz. it's super cool. very subtle & organic, and not super fizzy or fuzzy. it stacks well with other pedals, and likes singles or humbuckers, and clean or dirty amps. it's a very well rounded pedal. there's a ton of solid reviews out there. look into it. any poor reviews are people wanting that high gain sound. if you're looking for a low gain fuzz, there's nothing better than the astrotone.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Great advice, and mirrors my experience as well.

I'd just say, for later a Zvex Fuzz Factory is pretty cool, but also as a first fuzz I HEAVILY recommend the MI Audio GI Fuzz. The reason is though it has some bells and whistles they are pretty intuitive and easy to work. It has at least two tone-shaping knobs ("body", which is mid, and "tone", plus a three way "voicing" switch which also is mainly tone voicing), has a large range of useable area on the "fuzz" knob (as opposed to many fuzzes where you tend to just dime or set it up pretty high) and volume.

The tone controls would help the OP "cut" and get rid of fizziness easier.
    Also the mid can really help there.

Also it has a bias knob, which is very easy to hear what it does (can really adjust the sputtery sound or smooth, all points in between) and an impedance knob which is super helpful for getting the right amount of signal from guitar into the fuzz, helps a lot also with switching between guitars, different signle coil strengths, as well as using humbuckers, etc.

I wish I'd bought that fuzz as my first. It has enough knobs, might seem slightly complex for a fuzz, but is VERY easy to understand, and gives many flavors of fuzz.

8. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

What he said. The GI Fuzz is great. I also have the Fuzz Factory, which is lots of fun too, but if I had to have one fuzz (from my current three which includes the EQD Hoof) it would be the GI Fuzz.

9. TimothyDavidson

TimothyDavidson Member

Hey! Thanks for the help so far, please keep it coming. I have started doing research on the pedals that have been mentioned.

I have an offer to buy the Fuzz Factory at a good price. What's some more opinions of this fuzz?

10. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I would avoid the Fuzz Factory, it's fun for awhile, but it kind of wears off. I used to think it was an awesome fuzz. It does tons of sounds, but most are unusable, the good ones it has can be beaten by other high end fuzzes that I have now. You should probably try one eventually, but I would avoid it for now at least.

11. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Something in the Fuzz Face catagory is a good starting point. Check out Hartman's fuzzes.

12. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Not much love for this one but try to find a Pedalworx MCFUZZ - it's a great versatile take on a fuzz face - more versatile than most - and sells cheaper used than what it s "worth" - Bob McBroom knows his stuff when it comes to tuning a fuzz!

13. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

if you like something in the muff region of fuzz, id take a look at the stomp under foot offerings. specifically the civil war or violet rams heads. ill be getting mine next week, so my opinion is based only on the clips ive heard as of yet, but they sound amazing. do yourself a favor and have a listen.

14. TimothyDavidson

TimothyDavidson Member

Yeah, I've decided not to buy the fuzz factory. I think that it might be a little to over the top for my first fuzz.

15. TimothyDavidson

TimothyDavidson Member

What fuzz would be closest to the NG-2?

16. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

SI FuzzFace: Volume @~1:30, Fuzz @ ~4:00. Work volume knob, get chicks.

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That was a good decision by you. I owned the FF after years of fuzz playing, and it took me a while to be able to get any consistency out of it.

The reason I suggested the MI Adio GI fuzz, it is readily available, solid, easy to use, has a pretty wide range of sounds.

Another (it doesn't take that long to get) that I just got and is just amazing, the Mini-bone fuzz (Google it or Paul Trombetta I think is the correct spelling), which is very easy to adjust and does something amazing...you can get normal fuzz, all kinds of sounds, but also "trombone" sounds (not too tromboney though) sounds out of it. It's really something new, and cleans up (another fine thing to experience) really well with volume knob on the guitar.

Good luck!

18. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

:agree

Trombetta Mini-Bone is the best fuzz there is, IMO.

19. teleclem

teleclem Member

Wow, that Mini bone sure is interesting.

20. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

And we cant stress enough that it does *amazing* normal fuzz sounds too. The "trombone" sounds are just icing on the cake. The fuzz foundation is where this pedal is at, IMO.