New here - can you recommend a multi-purpose keyboard for recording?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by bubbler, Nov 28, 2017.

1. bubbler

bubbler Member

Hi everyone. I just joined the gear page, mostly because I need some help figuring out what keyboard to buy. I'm a guitarist that plays keys occasionally out of necessity. I'm looking for a do-it-all keyboard for a very small space home studio. Mainly I just need a decent acoustic piano sound, decent rhodes and wurli sounds, a decent combo organ sound, a decent hammond/baldwin organ sound, and hopefully some analog synth type sounds as a bonus. Oh, and I don't want to spend any more than I have to! What should I get? Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  2. xcc

xcc Supporting Member

I’d recommend one of the cheaper Korg Krome or Roland Junos for all around uses.

3. rsm

rsm Member

Have a look at Yamaha PSR-E453 61-Key, around $280 new.

If you want something more, Yamaha PSR-S670 61-Key Arranger Workstation for around $800 new, or the Roland JUNO-DS61 Synthesizer for around $700 new

4. bubbler

bubbler Member

Thank you very much for the responses. I watched some clips and both the Roland Juno 61 and Korg Krome 61 seem like they'd be good for my purposes. There's SO much functionality and so many sounds with those. Truthfully, there's a lot more than I need. I don't need, and likely won't really use, all those 80s type sounds. Nor will I use all that sequencing capability, or the drum beats and drums sounds. I really just need a handful of classic keyboard sounds, like piano, rhodes, wurli, combo organ, hammond organ, and analog synth. All the other stuff is kind of wasted on me. But maybe I'll find a use for those other sounds now and again. Anyway, thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

5. stevel

stevel Member

Yeah, but wait until you record something and go, "man, this piano just doesn't sound right" - you'll be glad you have four other piano patches to choose from!

Nowadays, sounds are cheap. Boards are all about features because even the bottom of the line synths have the same sound sets as the flagship models - usually just fewer of them. That means - unlike the old days - the sound quality is the same across the whole line. So it's the features that set them apart. And those have gotten so cheap as well that even the base models have oodles of features.

The DS61 is a great "all around" keyboard and at that price it's hard to beat.

If you want to spend more, you can, but usually the sounds aren't going to necessarily get better - there will be more of them, and more features primarily (however, in some cases, like Roland's FA series, you get Supernatural sounds in the next level up, so there are some better sounds not available in the DS though there's a lot of overlap with other sounds).

You really want good Piano, Organ, and Wurly, you might want to look to a Nord Stage type instrument if you can afford it.

Nowadays, you can get better sounds out of VSTs a lot of times. So you may want to look into a controller and VSTs if you're doing all your recording "in the box".

But if using it live, I still prefer an actual keyboard, so the Juno DS61 is a good bet.

6. moogerfooger

moogerfooger Member

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

The Yamaha MX61 is reasonably priced, and has great MOTIF sounds. No sequencer ... it's made for live performance.