New Hiwatt owner!!! Questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scottsee, Jan 22, 2008.

1. scottsee

scottsee Member

I'm heading out this afternoon to pick up one of these bad boys. A real 1974 SA212 50w combo. I played through it for about 15 minutes yesterday with my SG Classic and, well, you can probably guess how good it sounded. I've never owned a piece of gear this old, so I've got a few questions about it.

What can I expect in terms of maintenance on an amp like this? The guy mentioned that it'll need a re-cap at some point. How much is that going to run me?

This particular amp has newish Greenbacks instead of the original Fanes. How much volume and clean headroom am I giving up with the GBs?

The only 'quirk' the amp has is that you have to sometimes turn the standby and power switch on at the same time to get the amp to power on. What could be causing this, and is it something that I will need to address?

Thanks!

2. KBN

KBN Member

If I were you, I would take it to a tech soon. I don't know if the standby switch thing is much of an issue or not. Its the fact that I don't know that would cause me to drop it off with a good tech. I would rather fix a minor problem than to wait until its a potentially big problem. Anytime I bring an amp in I expect to pay $200. Its almost always less than that. One thing on the greenbacks, that amp could easily burn them up if you crank it.

3. scottsee

scottsee Member

Yeah, I'm planning on bringing it to a tech for a check up within the next few weeks and hopefully he'll be able to sort out that issue.

Huh, I thought the Greenbacks would be okay with a 50 watt amp but the guys at the Plexi Palace forums say that it could be trouble too. Guess I'll have to take it easy till I can get some new speakers.

4. FFTT

FFTT Member

It's just good sense to take any use amp in for a check-up.

Greenies would be OK in a 4x12 but you're pushing it in 2X12.

Check out the new Weber Thames either Ceramic or AlNiCos
    or a blend.

You can also got to Reeves amplification for Custom Purples

or a nice pre-built cab.

5. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Put a pair of ceramic Weber Thames in that bad boy and don't look back.

6. DC1

DC1 Member

The GB's will not sound right at all. Great amp! I like the Sholz speaker, but Tripower likes the Reeves and the Thames a lot better, and he has heard them all.

My 1969 has the original caps and they are fine. If yours is working well and not humming, don't replace the caps.

Get that switch sorted out now...

Check to see if someone has changed the tubes. You should have the original Mullards in the front end, and yeah it makes a difference in these amps. A set of NOS Mullards will cost, but make a real improvement. If money is an issue get one at a time and start with V1. Also, the inverter/driver tube is run hard in these and if yours has a modern tube in it, you may want to put a NOS in there too.

Don't waste money on NOS power tubes. Use either Winged C or JJ EL-34's and get the bias set right. Check the transformers too. They should say Partridge on them.

Have fun.

DC

7. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Ditto DC1 on the tubes. I really like the Winged C EL34s and they aren't ridiculously expensive. I am running an Amperex in V1 on both of mine, and I like it even better than the Mullard!

Oh, and I will give the standby issue some thought. That's a new one on me........

8. callaway_1

callaway_1 Member

Sounds like the amp from craigslist in Austin. The PT has been replaced and it looked like a hack job. There is some serious weirdness with the fuse holders as well.

Have a tech put a new Heyboer PT in it and ditch the greenbacks, you will be set!

9. DC1

DC1 Member

Wow! I tried everything. Holland, French and GB Amperex, Telefunkens, RCA's, Sylvanias, even an old Sonotone! My '69 DR103 likes nothing as well as the Mullards to my ears. So, if you want to play with tubes, use your ears. Might save yourself some money that way too.

DC

10. DC1

DC1 Member

Hey, for OT's do you like the Heyboer better than the MM? Just curious. ( I know this was a PT comment, but I thought I would pick your brain for a bit)

DC

11. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I was kind of surprised....... Mine is a Dutch Amperex IIRC.....

FWIW, my clone is a lot less sensitive to tube changes than my Hylight for some reason.

Another issue was microphonics. Until I started running the mains at 115V, every NOS peamp tube I tried was microphonic in the Hylight. There is a marked difference in tone between running 480V and 500V on the plates.

As for the OT, I have never tried the MM, but the Heyboer in my clone sounds as good or better than the Partridge in my Hylight 2 holer. The price is right too.