New Ibanez AR series

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sgguitarzz, Mar 16, 2015.

1. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

I was checking out a few of the new AR series Ibanez's. They really do look beautiful and have some nice specs. At one end you have the 720FM going for $1000 and at the high end the 2619 for $2300. I know people hold the old artist series in high regard. How good are these and how different is the 2619 that it is double the price yet very similar spec wise. It is technically in Gibson Les Paul territory on price.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_...5&cat_id=1&series_id=8&data_id=227&color=CL01

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_...5&cat_id=1&series_id=8&data_id=226&color=CL01

2. John C

John C Supporting Member

The 2619 is a "Prestige" - aren't they made in Japan? The 720 would be made wherever else Ibanez is currently manufacturing the bulk of their instruments (Korea? China? elsewhere?). Sorry, I haven't really kept up with Ibanez for a quite a while.

I do remember really liking the Artist models I tried out back when I was first playing in the late 1970s/early 1980s (and the Musician models as well).

3. sgguitarzz

Yes I believe the 2619 is made in Japan while the others are made in China. The specs look very similar otherwise though I am guess the quality is higher in the Prestige line although is it worth more than double the 720.

4. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I've got a MIJ AR700 ('97) and a MIK AR300 ('06). Same shape on both, thinner body on the 700; the 300 is more like a LP (weighs as much, too). The 300 is quite resonant, acoustically/unplugged, as well.

I have all ideas the 2619 is worth every penny. I haven't found a newer (MIC) Artist that did anything for me. If I were in the market, I'd be on the lookout for a used 70's or 80's Artist.

5. sgguitarzz

I checked out a few videos on YouTube for both the AR720 and 2619. Both sounded really nice and seem versatile. I know it is hard to judge off of some of those clips.

6. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I owned a bunch of Ibanezes back in the late '70s. I cut my teeth on them and I wish I had most of them back-I only have one survivor from that point in my life.
    I have gone and tried the Artist and Destroyer reissues. There is something missing that is hard to pinpoint. They just don't feel as substantial as the originals. They are not bad, but not replacements.
    I don't think it would take too much looking to find older ones at reasonable prices. They would have a chance at appreciating and be more solid overall.

7. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I've seen the new AR series guitars at NAMM, and they look great. But....I would suggest you try an original AR if you can. Doesn't have to be the exact guitar you are looking for, but it will definitely give you the feel for these classic beauties. I have a 1982 AR 50, a 1980 AR100, and a 1982 AR500 (brass nut oddly enough because it's not a full brass beauty from that time). Just talking about the old ARs makes me want a 300 to round out my collection :)

You may very well prefer the new one, but I would make an effort to try an original for comparison. Such wonderful guitars!

8. sgguitarzz

These old ones are held in such high regard yet I barely remember anyone who played one

9. Lihns

Lihns Member

Bob Weir

Other than that I'm a little hazey too

10. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Dickey Betts played one from time to time, as well as Andy Partridge of XTC.

11. Sensates

Sensates Member

I have the bottom end MIC AR220 and even that surprised the heck out of me. Great, solid feel in the neck, very rocking vibes coming from the guitar.

I consider mine better than the PRS SEs. I did replaced the pickups with a pair of Gibsons though, their stock doesn't suck but it isn't the best..

12. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

....and a guy by the name of Steve Miller.

I've owned an '81 AR100 since new, so jeez maybe I'm biased. Well-regarded by many, sure. But I've played it for over three decades for a reason, or two.

13. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

I love these guitars. I had an AR5000 (? Not sure) at one time and it had the second worst neck dive so I had to let it go. I still love them and would prefer one over a non R series LP any day of the week. I used to oodle over pics of these way back and wanted one so bad. I have a similar infatuation with Hamer (that was the #1 worst neck dive on a beautiful Korina Jr Special). Lust, oodling and infatuation don't have a need for a price tag.

14. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Scofield played hollowbody versions, no?

15. Jazzandmore

On his album Still Warm it looks to be an AR300 that Scofield is playing. Great album!

I've seen pics of Metheny playing a version as well early on.

16. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

I had one of the solid bodies from the 70's and I don't want another.

17. sgguitarzz

That's not the best recommendation lol

18. sgguitarzz

Is there really that huge of a difference between the new MIC 720FM and the MIJ 2619? Anyone played both? I am really intriqued but not sure I am ready to spend $2300 if the $1000 version gets me almost all the way there.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  19. Jazzandmore

Looking at your other post and your original post, seems country where it's built is a possible concern you have. I own 7 Ibanez, including 4 signature guitars and 3 original ARs. Overall 4 were made in Japan, 3 in Korea.

I would absolutely not be concerned about where the 720FM is made. Ibanez makes very high quality guitars. I seriously doubt you would have any regrets getting that guitar rather than the 2619. There are some design differences, but quality being an issue on the 720FM, that I wouldn't worry about.

20. sgguitarzz

Thank you I appreciate the feedback.