new Ibanez SD9M

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 6Tones, Jan 23, 2012.

1. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

2. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

cool. look fwd to a demo or 2 :)

3. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Funny, I posted that in Discofreq's new pedals at NAMM 2012 thread and got nothing but crickets.
    Anyway, I'm stoked. Probably not true bypass like the Maxon, but to have gain AND midrange toggles might be a hit.

4. andoka

andoka Supporting Member

I have both the (old) Ibanez and Maxon versions, and they are two of my favorite pedals. I'll probably have to break down and try one of these too. It will be interesting to see if the range of the tone knob was tweaked at all and what the switches do for it. My only real complaint about this circuit is the tone control. It gets pretty brittle in my rig after about 9, and past 12:00 is simply waaay too much for me from the factory. That seems to be a common conclusion for many people, so maybe it was addressed with this version. I'm pretty stoked about this as well!

5. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

Ha, I posted about it in the thread about the 30th anniversary TS9 and I got the same reaction.

I am quite intrigued with the pedal. And with the $99.99 street price, I think it is definitely worth checking out. I'm hoping PGS gets both this and the 30th TS9.

6. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

I saw that and Im definitely getting one! Ive been using my SD9 silver mod since 2003.

7. johann

johann Member

8. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

I ordered one from american musical and they just shipped mine earlier today in case anybody is waiting to order one.

9. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

I had an 80s SD9 for a bit. Loved it. Very similar to my Rat 2, but could get a bit higher gain crunch without the fuzz. Great pedal. Only let it go because I had developed a sentimental attachment to my Rat and I didn't need two similar gain pedals.

10. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Cool let us know your thoughts

11. jazztastic

jazztastic Member

I had a Analogman silver mod SD9 and sold it. Recently acquired a stock Maxon SD9 and like it even better!

Definitely interested in this new version, but does anyone know if it will have the "lousy Toshiba T75558 chip" or does it have the good JRC4558 chip?

12. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

Just got mine today. My first impression was very good, ive been using sd9s for about 10years.
    So the sd9m has the basic sound you'd expect with the gain and mid toggle switches down.
    The gain switch adds more pre gain and more volume which is great for leads. The mid adds high mids and cuts a little bass, not in a bad way. With the mid switch up it adds even more volume.
    I put it in my pedalboard and i'll see how it performs live but im happy with the updates so far. I never liked the fact the sd9 didnt have more output so i had to set my pedals levels lower than i liked but i dont think this will be a problem with the sd9m.

13. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

14. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

Oh man. I am so getting this. The SD-9 has been my primary Dirt box for about 16 years.

15. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

I finally had my original '83 Ibanez (Maxon) SD-9 successfully repaired and I love it. I'll take this over a tubescreamer any day, but the Tone knob is a definite issue. I just turn it almost completely counter-clockwise, Volume maxed and Distortion to taste. Sounds great. Not to say I'm not curious about this new version at $100...:bonk

16. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

I'll try to do some clips this weekend.

17. jazztastic

jazztastic Member

Bump....to find out what IC Chip it uses.....

18. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

Thanks man, that would be killer!

19. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Now that its out anyone get one yet?

20. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

bump love to find a clip of it