New Indie Rock Band Pedal Ideas

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pretzmidtown, May 6, 2015.

1. Pretzmidtown

Pretzmidtown Member

Hey guys, could use your opinion on adding anything necessary to my guitar rig. I'm putting together an original indie rock type band, Black Keys/Shins/Guster/etc. influenced. I play mostly rhythm and sing lead (will be a 4-piece with another guitar, bass, drums).

If I were to another pedal say for around $100 or less to add in versatility/song writing/live performance, what would you add?

I've got a TU-3, nano big muff, gain changer, TR-2 with versa mod so it can be a nice boost, and a EQD dispatch master. (Tele and Classic 30)

Any ideas for what to add? Appreciate any ideas!

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. baklavaa

baklavaa Member

used ep booster or carbon copy?

3. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I like a good trem, it looks like you've got one. Adding that stutter/half Leslie effect in a few places can be VERY effective.

Maybe a splashy reverb or Delay for some ethereal /ambient effect?

4. popvulture

popvulture Member

I feel like the EQD Speaker Cranker is deceptively simple... it can add a nice bit of grit to your base tone, stack well with your other drives/fuzzes, and be just a nice additional layer to play with. Since you've got some gnarlier fuzz territory with your muff, maybe a germanium Fuzz Face would be fun to check out. Leave the fuzz maxed on the pedal and play with your guitar's volume knob and you'll find s**t tons of tonal versatility. I think a lot of people associate the FF with Hendrix and blues-rawk type stuff, but it can really do a whole lot more.

5. BenGWU

BenGWU Member

An analog delay would be a good addition. There's plenty out there used for <100 like the carbon copy (as mentioned above) or EHX memory boy. Analog delays are used quite a lot with indie bands so I would say that would be a good thing to go with!

6. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

If you haven't identified an effect or sound that you feel you're missing, I'd save your money.

7. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

Exactly! Cause otherwise you'll wind up buying an octave pedal that you never use and really wishing you had a chorus.

8. Pretzmidtown

Pretzmidtown Member

These are awesome suggestions so far guys, really appreciate it. Including the suggestions to not get anything, I have no doubt you are right. But want to add to my sound options/palette as much as possible and the GAS is occasionally strong... For you guys who suggest an analog delay or a splashy verb, do you think the DD-7 could fit that bill? (I know it's digital ... but I like the idea of having tap tempo too which my EQD Dispatch cannot do).

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  9. Pretzmidtown

Pretzmidtown Member

Been there done that with the octave pedal, haha

10. Pretzmidtown

Pretzmidtown Member

I've had my eye on the Speaker Cranker and some days wish I had a Hoof instead of my Nano Muff...(tried the Hoof and loved it)

11. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

A phase shifter can add some interesting depth, but it's best when used sparingly so you might not get a ton of use out of it. I love my Small Stone (AnalogMan modded) but also dig the Phase 45. You can get a 45 with a Uni-Vibe switch for some added versatility. Not a Phase 90 fan personally but there's a lot of love for them out there.

12. BenGWU

BenGWU Member

The dd-7 has an analog setting on it right? If so then sure it could. Suppose it depends on whether you like the sound of it or not.

It might be worth saving your money, like afterosmosis and Silent Sound said, for the day when there is a specific effect that you want. After all, we don't know what sounds good to you!

13. Pretzmidtown

Pretzmidtown Member

Thanks Ben, certainly appreciate it. And you are right, I know there aren't many things more subjective then pedals and gear :) Yeah, the DD-7 does have an analog mode so I'm really thinking about that giving me great flexibilitiy with the Dispatch Master (no tap but amazing pedal) and the DD-7 for a splashy slap most of the time but the occasional need for tap too...

14. caspa

caspa Member

Definitely a chorus! Its making a comeback in the indie scene and really adds a unique texture for the genre, especially running into a dirtyish amp. Makes the sound kind of lofi and muddy in a great way.

15. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

Save up just a tiny bit more and try for a used Whammy V. Be a troll =]

16. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

EQD Organizer so you can blend odd organ sounds in, and some sort of parametric EQ.

17. BenGWU

BenGWU Member

I play in an indie rock band myself and IMO I don't see tap tempo as too much of a necessity, I have a dd-6 and rarely use the tap tempo on it (in fact I barely use it at all!). If you want rhythmic delays then tap tempo is good but it's not too important otherwise IMO. Anolog delays like the carbon copy and EHX memory boy both have the warm repeats that sit well in indie rock and will give you the 'splashy slap' and have the added bonus of modulation so you can get some chorus-like sounds too.

18. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Flashback delay so you can get a bunch of delay models and a looper?

You can find those used for $100-110

19. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Zoom MS70CDR and call it a day, or a year.

20. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

+1 million this.

Or if you for some reason feel you have to have some other dimension on your sound, then buy something cheap like the Behringer FX600 for $40 and if you end up using an effect on it very often then buy a real version of that pedal. At least at the end the worst you can be is out $40 and the best is you have an effect you know you'll use.