(new) Interested in cool fuzz pedals that cost as much as an amp..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pickaguitar, Apr 10, 2019.

1. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Last night I discovered (new) fuzz pedals I wasn't aware of. For example the brand D*A*M...mkII?

Without considering personal financial situations and some having the ability to just buy whatever they want...is there really something to these pedals that is significantly deviates from the norm?

Tuned fuzz?
    $600+?
    Or maybe they are pricey due to limited availability?

I'll admit it sounded good imo

:dunno

2. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

You'll start a riot around here with words like that!

I'm sure the cost of the OEM enclosures and sourcing NOS components adds a significant amount to the bottom line.. I cannot speculate as to the profit margins, but I do know players continue to eat them up. Personally, I'd rather have smaller, modern-style Hammond boxes which offer more portability and fits on a pedalboard without monopolizing too much space.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  3. jaclo

jaclo Member

Sola Sound has some Mk 1 Tonebenders for nearly $1000 each, yikes.

59Vampire likes this.
  4. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

If you want something built using the same parts/layout/etc as an original, done by someone who is an expert with the circuit, and you are a person who cares about getting as close as possible tonally it’s gonna cost you.

5. HipUncle

HipUncle Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with expensive pedals, as long as they deliver. I have a Revival Drive, and it's amazing. This fuzz, while it sounds great, doesn't impress in any particular way. But I'm not a member of the Fuzz Brigade, either, so maybe there is some magic in there that I just don't hear. But I'm certain that, live, the audience would not be able to tell the difference between this and a Carcosa.

6. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

Sputnik II is around $1k, which, yeah, no. So I bought a clone instead.

7. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

Mo' money, mo' problems.

bobcs71, e???, conanb and 1 other person like this.
  8. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

Price of gear never has anything to do with components, build quality etc. If people are willing to pay only one dollar for an amp, that’s its price. If they are willing to pay a million bucks for a pedal, that’s its price.

9. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

TY
    I get that. My goal would not be to have 'close to an original' just for original purposes. I guess I was just more curious if the parts and 'tuning' justify the difference in price...substantially

Echoplexi likes this.
  10. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

While I agree up to a point, I could not see paying more than $300 for a single effect/use pedal. Multiple circuits in one box, crazy unobtanium bbd, studio/audiophile quality tube units (ala Effectrode), or vintage boxes not withstanding.

Leone and Echoplexi like this.
  11. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

Except for its clones, there really isn't anything like the D*A*M Meathead.
    I have the Deluxe version, and it's awesome in the truest sense of the word.

pickaguitar likes this.
  12. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

In my experience, mo' money makes it easier to deal with mo' problems. ;)

13. misa

misa Supporting Member

I was starting to write a long rambling post but saw no end in sight.

In simple terms, folks like D*A*M tend to use rare/old parts, handwired construction methods, sometimes get into replica enclosures, and seem to have a sound knowledge base on how the circuits work (enough to manipulate them to get a sound/tone they are targeting).

Other people can/could do it for less, but at this point D*A*M has been proven as a top builder that has a following and sells out everything they build. So some of that price includes the scarcity/brand value, and like anything else, its up to the consumer to figure out if it is worth the price.

I have some cool inexpensive fuzzes and I have some cool D*A*M fuzzes, I enjoy both.

14. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I’m with you guys. Im pretty picky, but I’m not spending 750-1000 on a pedal. 3-400 is about my limit

15. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I was in London and went to Macaris and bought one built by Steve Williams. Yup, ridiculously expensive but it was my birthday. AS much as I love it and know that i paid a lot of dough for it, I have a 400 MK1 from another builder that I like as well. My only justification for the expenditure was right place, right time, and on a Ronson kick!

16. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

you can get a good one for a reasonable price, but not cheap. Fuzz is an art, it seems, and you want a good fuzzier to make your instrument. But it's not as if there are only one or two builders.

17. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

18. Compact Pedal

Compact Pedal Member

I agree, to a point.

The second and third sentences are correct. An item is ultimately worth the price a buyer is willing to pay. This is not conditioned upon your first sentence, which is, on its face, is false.

19. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

More than that feels irresponsible, just for me. Oughta be able to sound good with the great stuff in range.

20. chankgeez

chankgeez Member