New Interface Time?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by claudel, May 6, 2019.

1. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

Starting to think about a new interface for the iPad rig.

single channel, instrument level in, stereo out

I'd like something with a low latency pitch detector that will accurately work with bass ( mainly ) without being too laggy

Hi fi, lo noise is a must.

MIDI in/out also would be nice

Config software that won't make me tear what's left of my hair out.

Class compliant

Stop me from spending $700 for a Duet...

2. TonyCass

TonyCass Member

What about the iRig pro I/O? I think it has all of what you are looking for and its pretty inexpensive compared to the Duet.

I was looking at the iRig Stomp i/o but felt it was too geared for AmpliTube which I dont use.

3. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Before you buy a One or Duet, check Apogee's compatibility with iPadPro with USB-C. Apogee blames Apple.

https://knowledgebase.apogeedigital.com/duet-ipad-mac/apogee-products-work-ipad-pro-usb-c-port/

One/Duet/Quartet – *PARTIALLY COMPATIBLE

Basic functions of our larger USB units work. This would be audio playback, audio input, & output level control. (Note that ONE & Duet do not need the external power supply connected because the USB-C port provides bus power just like on a Mac!)

However these units are unable to connect to the Apogee Maestro iOS app, and thus are unable to access the Input Settings like Gain and Phantom Power or Output Routing and Volume.

Apogee will address the connectivity of the Maestro app with these devices in conjunction with Apple at a later date. A significant update will likely be required.

For now, if you need to adjust the settings on your Apogee it must be done with it connected to a Mac computer or Lightning iPad/iPhone first. Then you can connect to the USB-C iPad Pro and try to record the inputs. Please be aware this may not work in all cases or on all applications.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    claudel likes this.
  4. adamquek

adamquek Member

Don't know any interface that will do low-latency pitch detection, particularly for bass. Software solutions like MIDI Bass (by JamOrigin).

I have personally been using an iRig HD2, works good on iPad, needs ASIO4all on PC (some issues, but workable). No MIDI though, I believe they have a larger version with MIDI I/O. Stereo out is via headphone out, the 1/4" out is mono. Overall, very happy with it on the iPad, not so happy on Windows but I can get by.

claudel likes this.
  5. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

The iRig HD2 works well with my iPad Pro (2018 USB-C).

I tried the new Apogee Jam+ but I think I got a bad one (I didn't know Apple sells returns, but it shipped in a torn box from the AppleCare repair facility :eek:). When the Jam+ did work it sounded great and doesn't have the compatibility issues of the bigger Apogee units.

An Apogee One was a fight without the Maestro app.

The RME Babyface Pro has class compliant mode if you can figure out how to put it in class compliant mode and remember that it's in class compliant mode when you try to connect it to a Mac or PC (and wonder why TotalMix doesn't see it). The Babyface Pro works great with my old iPad, but with the USB-C iPad Pro iOS thinks it a mono input device and only sees 1 input - and it isn't the instrument input.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    claudel likes this.