new ISP Decimator

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jbd3, Feb 26, 2012.

1. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

Did ISP redesign the Decimator? They were running ads before NAMM that seemed to hint at this, but there's no news on their website about it. The Decimator is the best gate I've found, but it's still not perfect, so I was curious to see if they'd come out with a new version.

2. luke_95

luke_95 Member

3. terrapin

terrapin Member

Hopefully they have done something about how the pedal KILLS sustain or it will be as useless IMO as the original. I bought one a ways back and used it for about 2 hours before I was done with it.

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I hear you, honestly, the Boss NS-2 is better, and that's saying something.

5. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

How were you using it? Just curious as I have been looking for one for my high gain mesa rig. A lot of the Mesa and other high gain guys seem to like it, but obviously not all.

People who have seemed to flat out hate is low to medium gain players. So that's why I'm curious.

6. terrapin

terrapin Member

THAT'S me.

7. jbd3

I am very squarely in the medium gain camp (I'm in an AC/DC cover band) and I tried the Boss and Dunlop gates, and I thought the ISP worked best, and it's been on my board for a while. It didn't seem to color my sound at all, and so long as I had the knob set right (not hard to do), it was generally pretty transparent in terms of letting a note fade and not killing a naturally-sustaining note. For reference, I use a Rivera Fandango with the gain set to around 7, and humbucking p'ups.

If I'm going to be playing a bit more quietly, and I've got my guitar's volume knob turned down around 5, I'll just turn the pedal off (AC/DC fans, think of the beginning of "You Shook Me All Night Long" or "Rock & Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"). I'm probably just being paranoid there, but I don't want to risk the pedal choking a note at those times since I'm playing unaccompanied.

I have actually found myself using it a lot when I play clean. I have an old house so the electricity is pretty, well, noisy, if that's the word. So when I play with single-coils with a pretty clean tone, I'll use the ISP then, and it works quite well.

A perfect gate would do these three things better:

1) it could deal with the decay of a note more naturally (not that it's bad here, I just wish it could read my mind!).

2) it would somehow "know" the pitch of a bad feedback squeal when I'm playing a guitar with microphonic p'ups (I've got a guitar with humbuckers that aren't potted) and could clamp down on that howl when I'm not playing, without me having to set the gate super high.

3) it would adjust it's gate threshold on its own for when I'm playing quietly (see above), then readjust when I'm playing with more gain.

So basically, I wish the pedal was more "smart"... But the risk of that would be that it gets it wrong sometimes, so until then, I'm ok with how it is. I don't know about you guys, but every car I've ever driven with the magical windshield wipers that had a sensor to guess on their own how often to wipe always drove me crazy!

8. jbd3

9. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

I think what makes people not like the decimator or noise surpressors at all is the fact that they don't know how to use them. They are not there to make up for lousy power or noisy amps. They are made for cutting the guitar when it's not played, at medium+ to high gain signals. Your original guitar tone is amplified by up to 100 times, also everything your guitar picks up thats not your playing is amplified 100 times. To lower or eliminate that noise is the job of a noise surpressor. These things have bypass switches, for playing clean or crunch, they're not always on devices...