• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New J Coloccia Id overdrive: When?

fred_

Gold Supporting Member
Anyone have any more info on when this one might arrive? The website mentions that it is "coming soon". I don't seem to have much luck when emailing John, so am throwing the question out to the TGP informed masses. :)

coltonius

Señor Member
He’s a semi-active member here- something along the lines of J Coloccia, but I can’t find him via @. :dunno

(I think I remember him saying it’s on his to-do list but not a priority..)

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Got same note a long long time ago. Spoke with him on phone.. cool dude

fred_

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the responses everyone! Looks like it might be awhile... I have an Id i really like, and was just looking to see what John might have up his sleeve for the new one...

Hey does anyone know how to tell the difference (visually) b/w the standard and the custom Id? I'm not sure which one i have, and it'd be nice to know.

coltonius

Señor Member
Thanks for the responses everyone! Looks like it might be awhile... I have an Id i really like, and was just looking to see what John might have up his sleeve for the new one...

Hey does anyone know how to tell the difference (visually) b/w the standard and the custom Id? I'm not sure which one i have, and it'd be nice to know.
The only way to tell is pop the back plate and look at the board. The Standard has diode clipping and the Custom has FET clipping!

Also..

I definitely meant to grab one before they were discontinued. :(

fred_

Gold Supporting Member
@coltonius: Man, Colton, you rock! (And don't give up the Id search...uh...wait, that's not what i meant; i mean it is, but...o_O:)... anyway, i just got my [used] Coloccia about a month ago. They are out there!)

2tone

Gold Supporting Member
The only way to tell is pop the back plate and look at the board. The Standard has diode clipping and the Custom has FET clipping!

Also..

I definitely meant to grab one before they were discontinued. :(

The Custom has a little more upper mid contribution. The 2 models have overlap in that you can approximate much of each's sounds with either model. The original is more smooth.

coltonius

Señor Member
The Custom has a little more upper mid contribution. The 2 models have overlap in that you can approximate much of each's sounds with either model. The original is more smooth.
Yeah, I think John mentioned the next version (whenever that will be..) possibly featuring a toggle for Standard/Custom.

As it stands, I think you’d have to have really good ears to determine which version you have when only one is at your feet. The only way to know definitively is to look inside.

Bshecko

Custom has 4 painted red screws on the bottom plate.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
The Custom is more open. The classic is more smooth (as described above).

The Id is a great pedal.

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
Sorry for not being so responsive. It's unlike me, as many will attest to. Here's a bunch of answers:

1) Every custom ID I sent out has the screws on the bottom painted red with a magic marker. That said, if you're really unsure, pop off the back and look inside. If you see a couple of transistor looking things poking out of the board, you have a custom. It uses diode connected JFETS, and I had to cram them in there. It really was a custom job I did for an old customer, more or less as a challenge, and I liked it so much I made it an option. It comes out looking a little ugly, but that's just how it goes sometimes. If you're really uncertain, send me a picture of the guts and I'll tell you what it is.

2) re: new version. Yes, it's still on it's way. It will incorporate the custom and standard, selectable with internal switches. I've actually shipped a handful of them. It will be in a very pretty burnt orange enclosure

3) re: when will they be available generally. Good question. See below.

It's very simple. I have twin 5 year old girls. Children are expensive and they take up all of your time. I want them to take up all of my time because I love them. I need to make a real living again so I have gone back to the corporate world. There's more to it, but the important part is I stopped taking orders before I ever had any unhappy customers or felt like I had to compromise quality and service, and I feel very good about that.

I have a small (about 50) batch of the new ones ready to be assembled. They've been ready for years. At some point I will assemble them and sell them. Beyond that, I could see doing periodic batches depending on demand.

I'm still honoring any warranty repairs. Everything is lifetime warranted. I'm lucky that they're built like tanks...I don't think I've had one repair in the last 3 years, but if anything shows up you will get world class service for it.

And that's the simple truth. The new one is coming, I don't know when. I haven't disappeared, but I'm not taking new orders. If you own one, rest assured I will take care of any problems you have. I might even decide to offer them as a kit build, and have kicked around the idea, but it's actually kind of challenging to build correctly, and I feel like I'd just be setting people up for failure.

I hope this helps clear things up a bit. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

Trending Topics