New Jeep Drivetrain Misery

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by DrewH, Jun 30, 2019.

1. DrewH

DrewH Member

Maybe some of you car experts can give your opinion on this.

One of my bucket list vehicles was a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. It was time to retire my 8 year old Ford F150. So, being 42 and not getting any younger, I pulled the trigger. Got a brand new 2018 model at a good deal since it was almost the last of that model year on the lot. It's the 2.0 turbo with the 8 speed automatic transmission.

I love the vehicle and I hate it. It's going into the dealership tomorrow for the 2nd time in a week. Things started off with a vibration in my drivetrain? I'd be coasting to a stop with my foot off the gas and I get a vibration like a very rough idle up until the vehicle was stopped. I've owned a fair amount of automatic transmissions but never encountered this. Then, it would vibrate in any gear above 3 when I was less than 2000 or 2200 RPM whether coasting or accelerrating. It's kind of like how a tranny feels when you are trying to step on the gas hard when in too high gear at too low an rpm but I'm not. That kind of shudder. But, it's doing it at RPMs far above where that should happen. Then today, I'm in sixth gear (of 8), running about 2000rpm, and I couldn't even get the vehicle to accelerate. I got on the gas pretty good too. I was on my way home from the office and a couple of miles form the house on the highway when that happened. After that, even the low gears felt really sluggish when accelerating with that same vibration. All sorts of vibration, hesitation, you name it. It wasn't a good 20 mile drive overall. I'll also mention that the thing doesn't appear to shift correctly. It always seems to perpetually be in too high a gear. If I don't use the manual shift option, which I normally do, it will be in 7th gear at 40mph.

It was doing some stuff on my way home from work on Friday and I managed to get one of the dealer service people to ride with me and confirm it doesn't feel right. BUT... it did this last Friday as well, I had another service guy confirm it wasn't right, it went in last Monday for service, and then they tell me they couldn't find anything. Ugh. It's not a constant thing. I will be ok a day, and then the next day is another story. Today was really bad.

So, I ask the knowledgeable car folk here..... what the hell could possibly be wrong with my vehicle? The first service guy who rode with me mentioned differential as a possibility. But, I'm also reading it could be torque converter, or a sensor someplace. This is a vehicle with 2000 miles on it and this sucks to deal with. I just went through hell with a cross country move, fixing/selling a house, a job change and this was a gift to myself after doing all of that.

2. Ps28

Ps28 Member

Sounds like a sensor to me. I know people that have had these problems with the more modern Jeeps. They keep dumping more technology in them making it hard for someone like me to fix them at home. They used to be a very serviceable vehicle.

Scrapperz and Mngwa like this.
  3. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

It's a belt drive. The loose belt is flapping in the housing.

4. drewl

drewl Member

Those have a lock-in torque converter?

If so it might be hanging up.

teefus likes this.
  5. Scordare

Scordare Member

Being so new.. there isn’t much info out there yet, but I did find some reference to early failures and a technical service bulletin for reprogramming the transmission software.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. graedb

graedb Member

When you mentioned it being in 7th at 40mph it reminded me of when my mini would do strange things like hard engine brake and rev even when taking foot off the accelerator. Turned out to be low battery charge which was causing software problems? At least that's what dealer said. It wasn't all the time but grew more and more frequent over the course of a month or so. Had to get new battery, software fixed etc. Mine was a CVT however.

7. Dickey

Dickey Member

IMHO, you went from bad to worse (Ford>Jeep)See if you can trade it in for a stick shift. More fun in a Jeep anyway. Or see if your state has a lemon law.

Cruciform and teefus like this.
  8. newking70

newking70 Supporting Member

Fix
    It
    Again
    Tony

Roark, teefus, Peteyvee and 1 other person like this.
  9. neastguy

neastguy Member

wife is leasing a 18 grand cherokee and the tranny has never felt right ... only had 4k onn it ... if it wasnt a lease it would be in the shop going through the same thing as the OP probably

fretless likes this.
  10. Boston617

Boston617 Member

Anything Chrysler related since the Fiat merge, I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

seajay, fretless and teefus like this.
  11. Bobbybigbucks

Bobbybigbucks Gold Supporting Member

OP, sorry to hear about your troubles with your new Jeep. A new vehicle should be a joyous occasion. :console

On the other hand, thanks for talking me out of buying a new Wrangler. :brick

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  12. neastguy

neastguy Member

I think the wrangler also had a recall for its brakes or suspension.. cant remember

13. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

I got a Cherokee new in 2016 as mt son was interning with Chrysler and I got the big employee discount. He was interning, as a computer engineer, with the transmission folks. Jeep was introducing it's new smart transmission that would "learn" your driving habits and adapt. It broke down on me several times in the first year. First time left me stranded in southwest Kentucky (I live in central Ohio) returning from vacation and the other time was local. I was really pissed. My son said they had been having some problems and were working on software fixes. Three trips to the dealership and the software finally caught up with the problem. I have 2 years with not a single issue with the vehicle and really like it but that transmission software really sucked at first. To this day it is not the smoothest ride as it "drops" into gear on occasion but, to be honest, Jeep/Chrysler always paid my towing, rental and repair bills so, other than the inconvenience, I was out zero dollars and it is a nice touring vehicle with leather and air-conditioned seats too.

14. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

An 8 year old F150 is just getting broken in!

Scrapperz and Peteyvee like this.
  15. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Those 8 speed autos have been trouble since day one, but it looks like they at least they finally have an idea about how to fix it.

Scrapperz likes this.
  16. DrewH

DrewH Member

6.5 years of Florida sun aged her a bit. Driving-wise, she was great, but she was a little worse for the wear cosmetically. I specifically waited until I got back to NH to get a new car for that reason. Florida is brutal on cars.

17. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Tell that to the worn-out timing chain that roached the engine in my coworker's truck.

18. DrewH

DrewH Member

Dropped it off this morning. Last update was at 345pm and they said they were extensively drive testing it and it would probably have to stay the night. I'm hoping this means they recognized there is an issue, collected some data, and are awaiting instruction from Chrysler. They just cannot open things up these days like they used to. Everything has to be directed by and approved by corporate. So, if they didn't get to testing it until this afternoon, then that means that Chrysler won't have a a course of action until tomorrow. I miss the thing. When it cooperates, it's an awesome ride!

19. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

first thing i though of too.

20. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Worst car I've ever had was a new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the diesel engine. It was always in the shop for numerous, different problems. Finally Jeep gave me a loaner and had it a couple of weeks to go through it and fix every thing. The day I got it I drove 10 miles and the check engine light came on again. I drove to the Ford dealership and traded it in for a Ford F150 which has had almost zero problems in over 60,000 miles. I hate Jeep products, I've owned a couple others and had nothing but problems.

fretless likes this.