New Jeff Beck live DVD

freedom's door

Out Nov 24th.

I'm glad he's still out there doing it, but i'm just not that interested anymore, and this clip didn't help. He already did the "quartet with a second guitarist who does synth sounds" when Jennifer Batten was in the band, and flame me all you want, but his playing has become somewhat repetitive lately.
I'm really digging that new drummer though!

For those of you still digging what he is doing, enjoy- this looks like a well-produced recording.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Out Nov 24th.

I'm glad he's still out there doing it, but i'm just not that interested anymore, and this clip didn't help. He already did the "quartet with a second guitarist who does synth sounds" when Jennifer Batten was in the band, and flame me all you want, but his playing has become somewhat repetitive lately.

For those of you still digging what he is doing, enjoy- this looks like a well-produced recording.

Completely agree.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Out Nov 24th.

Interesting points. I still think that what he is doing is a lot more interesting than most guitarists of his generation.

jeff_lebowski

Interesting points. I still think that what he is doing is a lot more interesting than most guitarists of his generation.
I do agree with that, he has out grown and out shown most of his peers from that era and beyond.

I really can't stand listening to him play anymore, he blows over everything sometimes with his quirky technique, that for some people is so great, but to me gets old so quickly.

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
Outstanding ....

I am glad to say that I am continually moved and inspired by him.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Well for me. I hope the rest is better cause I was watching Jeff at Ronnie's and that is a bit more impressive. I have only one desire to go to see just a guitar player these days and Jeff is the only one who fits that bill.. Jeff Becks ground breaking style is copped by many, but never sound as good as Jeff. No one sounds or plays quite like him. But honestly, I fall asleep at most other top players these days, too many notes riding and triping your brain isn't really relaxing and enjoying. Jeff takes you for a ride. There's a sole to Jeff's playing that few come even close.

straycat113

Really looking forward to this! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and like but I really have to disagree with the OP statement. His last two releases Live at Ronnie Scotts was as brilliant a performance as you will see and the DVD went platinum which for any music genre DVD is an astounding accomplishment. His next out with Becks Rock and Roll Party tribute to LesPaul could not be more diverse then his playing on the Scott's DVD. Especially breaking out with the Gibson's and ripping through Pauls famous tunes (pretty much note for note) spot on and those who know their ****, know Les sped up a lot of those tracks to sound faster and Beck ripped through them with ease live and had a blast doing so. So I wouldn't be quick to pass judgment based on one track that has surfaced as Beck has jumped into more genre's then anyother player I can think of. Yes I get how some can feel he over does it with the bar but that's his style. I personally would love to see him leave the Strat home and do another album before it's over using just Gibson's and Tele's. But Jeff could never sound stale or boring to me!

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I think what he's doing is more interesting than most guitarists of any generation.
Yep. Agree with that statement. I was lucky enough to see him play from the second row a few months ago and I was blown away at the subtleties and intricacies of his playing.

Carlo

Platinum Supporting Member
I will travel anywhere to see Jeff play live. It is going to school - and you will always see so many notable guitarists in the audience watching in utter amazement as he plays. So many times I've witnessed what seems impossible to play being ripped with ease by Jeff.
I first saw him live Oct 18 1975 at Hialeah Race Track in Miami - he sat in with Rod Stewart and the Faces also on that day. After watching him all these years, one thing that stands out to me is that he really listens.....his playing captures nuances because of among other things his great ability to listen! I never see that mentioned but it is so crucial to achieve the level of proficiency he has.

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
Out Nov 24th. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-E1FBkzMms">YouTube Link</a> I'm glad he's still out there doing it, but i'm just not that interested anymore, and this clip didn't help. He already did the "quartet with a second guitarist who does synth sounds" when Jennifer Batten was in the band, and flame me all you want, but his playing has become somewhat repetitive lately. I'm really digging that new drummer though! For those of you still digging what he is doing, enjoy- this looks like a well-produced recording.
OTOH .... Saw this lineup last yr and thought it was damn good (having seen him a half dozen times over 34 yrs). YMMV, ;-o

phoniako

Yeah me too! Saw Jeff with this line up a couple of months ago, it was a great concert! Will be waiting for this DVD!

GerryJ

Beck blazed the path long ago, and it's great he came back.
But for instrumental guitar in that style, I'm looking for a bit more, and lately finding it in this guy, (who's only around 12 years younger than El Becko, btw)

Last edited: