New Jersey Battle of the Boutiques: What do you think of the idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wrxplayer, Feb 26, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I recently purchased a 15 watt Industrial Amps "Overdrive 15" used. There is very little info out there on these amps so I had a bit of due diligence to do. In the course of my investigation, I spoke on several occasions to JoAnne Niekrewicz, one of the owners of IA, for information. http://industrialamps.com/

The amp arrived and, after playing it for a week, I decided to keep it and sell my Mesa LSS for two reasons. First, it saved me some $$. More importantly, I liked its sound more than the Mesa sound, although the Mesa is much more versitile.

In my next conversation with JoAnn, she asked me if I had any interest in distributing the amp line. I have a day job, but I love music and guitars and amps in particular. I think it might be fun and we're talking about details now.

Before I make that decision, I want to find out what others think of the product. I'm not very familiar with what's out there and am not a great player. So I thought I'd invite players from the forum to my house for an afternoon of guitar comraderie, amp comparisons and pizza. I'm thinking smaller combo amps or heads and small cabinets. I ran the idea by Brian Scherzer before posting and he is OK with it.

I've "reserved" the house (from my wife and kids) on Sunday afternoon March 16th if there's enough interest. I live in Bridgewater, NJ, right in the middle of the state, with easy access from I-78, I-287 and Routes 22, 202 and 206.

What do you think and would you like to come? Please post here your thoughts, questions, etc. so everyone can see them.

2. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

Sounds like it could be interesting. What speakers do you have to try it out with?

3. wrxplayer

My amp is a combo w/ a Celestion Vintage 30. Hopefully, we'll end up with perhap 5+ players with 5+ amps and perhaps a different speaker cabinet or two to try several combinations.

I see you're in PA. I'm 30 minutes from New Hope, 75-80 minutes from downtown Philly, and 40 minutes from Easton.

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Be careful what you wish for.....................

Best, Pete.

(I'm out of town)

5. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Sure, sounds like fun.
    I have 2 amps I could bring, the Reinhard JKC pushes the envelope to 33 watts , it should be heard though.

6. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

Damn, that sounds like fun... I wish I had something "boutique" to contribute. Ah well, if you notice a silver Z driving around the block that day, it's just me.

7. LVC

LVC Senior Member

If a Fuchs 50 Watt ODS is not out of the acceptable power tolerance -- I'd be interested. I live in Lafayette.

Laz

8. MartinC

MartinC Member

Offers like that probably don't come by very often ... sounds like a bit of spice to me ... and there's nothing like a little bit of getting outside the comfort zone to help in lifting your skills up.

carpe deum!

9. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I may be interested. I'm down in North Plainfield. I have a D'Lite head and i'm in the process of building a Soultone kit of the 20 watt Marshall head. I also have a few cabs and speaker combos I could offer up.

10. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

I live in Yardley...about 30 mins from Bridgewater.

11. wrxplayer

I don't mean to dictate amp size, so that'd be fine w/ me.

Perhaps we can keep a list of those who are interested and what they'd bring to the party. If the next person could add his/her "name", amp(s), guitar(s) to the list we can see how well the idea is going.

1. wrxplayer, Industrial Amps Overdrive 15, Les Paul Std. Premium Plus, 2001 PRs singlecut, San Dimas strat copy.

12. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

I have no small amps, but I do have Boogie Mark III and IV. The Mark IV is a lot more than a "metal amp" and with flicking the right switches, I can bring the power down to 15 watts (according to Mesa) from the max rating of 85 watts.

13. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Jeez, I'm in Yardley too. Probably live right around the corner. What a small world.

14. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

Sure is. I live off of Big Oak Rd. near the Church.

15. picnic

picnic Member

This could be a fun day like the NJ AmpFest in the fall of 06 was. That was a real eye and ear opener. LOUD!
    I'm in Wall and have a Bogner Metropolis and a Koch Twintone. I don't know if they are the kind of amps you are looking to have on hand.

16. wrxplayer

I think I may not have been perfectly clear in my "plan" (I use the term very loosely):

The overall plan is to have people over to socialize and play around with other equipment. That in an of itself would be fun.

The selfish part of the plan is to hear how my IA stacks up against like amps and to have others play it to see what they think as I value the opinions of those more smarter than I on this subject a great deal. All are welcome, or at least the first 10 or 12 are.

17. Agramal

Agramal Member

I'm in Clifton, and have the following:
    Rivera Knucklehead 100 (mid-90s model)
    '65 Fender Bassman
    Marshall 1960A

Plus an assortment of pedals 'n such.

18. LVC

LVC Senior Member

1. wrxplayer, Industrial Amps Overdrive 15, Les Paul Std. Premium Plus, 2001 PRs singlecut, San Dimas strat copy.

2. LVC: (tentative on date) Fuchs ODS, LP 59R Cloud 9, Collings i-35

19. wrxplayer

20. sws1

sws1 Member

I live in Morristown, and could bring:

Two Rock CR Sig with 1x12 cab
    Dr Z 2x10 Maz 18 Jnr
    Bogner Shiva (is this really boutique anymore)