New JHS Muffuletta Pedal Releasing Today

IRG

Went to bed thinking, this is a pretty cool pedal, and I love me some muff. Woke up, played the video. F*#k'in A this sounds awesome. Will be on my board soon.

Raymond Lin

JHS confirmed it DOES indeed switch in + out the different components on Page 3. I would be interested though, to know if the same transistors are used for each mode as they are such a vital part.

Whatever the answer It won't matter as long as it sounds great in person (like it does in the demo).

I see the Muffuletta as being a swiss-army-muff but not necessarily 'true to vintage spec' fuzz for the 'diehard muff enthusiast' - that doesn't matter to me as long as it sounds great! It would also cost a small fortune + be impossible to source all original parts anyway.

I wonder if the new JHS will hold it's own against a Skreddy Zero/ Mayo or BC239?

Interested! Would love to add a more tweak able muff to the collection...this or the BA Alter Destiny??? Hmmm...

Just found this quote from JHS on page 3...

Q : "Is the rotary a selector between various Muff-style voicings, or does it switch between the actual different components in each type? Seems like a cool idea, just curious."
A : "great question. It is changing the actual analog components to the specs of the actual units. NO emulation or digital approach. Its an all analog signal path! When you turn the knob you get the real deal, not a voice of it."
In that case, count me in.

jhspedals.com

Vendor
I see the Muffuletta as being a swiss-army-muff but not necessarily 'true to vintage spec' fuzz for the 'diehard muff enthusiast' - that doesn't matter to me as long as it sounds great! It would also cost a small fortune + be impossible to source all original parts anyway.
On each model we have on the Muffuletta we own and dissected the actual units. Each mode is true to vintage spec and I think even the most die hard fan will hear that this is more than some type of emulation or "close" take. The modes are what they say they are by switching all analog parts in and out for each mode. When you click Civil War you get a real analog Civil War per spec of our unit. When you click Pi, you get a real late 70s Pi per spec.. I went to great lengths to make sure this was what we say it is.

thesooze

On each model we have on the Muffuletta we own and dissected the actual units. Each mode is true to vintage spec and I think even the most die hard fan will hear that this is more than some type of emulation or "close" take. The modes are what they say they are by switching all analog parts in and out for each mode. When you click Civil War you get a real analog Civil War per spec of our unit. When you click Pi, you get a real late 70s Pi per spec.. I went to great lengths to make sure this was what we say it is.
Sheesh man-- job well done! Love the design of this.

jonthomas83

Sounds like a pretty painstaking process! Well done on the achievement, be really interested to hear this up close!

Although, I'm confused by the description of "The Russian", I always assumed that the Russian was another name for the Sovtek Muff? If I'm correct then the Sovtek had massive low end, the JHS description says otherwise?

Are Sovtek Muffs and Russian Muffs the same thing?

jhspedals.com

Vendor
I'm confused by the description of "The Russian", I always assumed that the Russian was another name for the Sovtek Muff? If I'm correct then the Sovtek had massive low end, the JHS description says otherwise?

Are Sovtek Muffs and Russian Muffs the same thing?
I understand the confusion :) I have 6 different Russian erras and they are all different. There is no EXACT on these. Even Mike Matthews said "take any 5 off the line and they will be different." There are several models of the Russian era, more than most people realize. Technically the Civil War is a russian but its very different. The Russian that I went with because I like it most is the small box black. It has plenty of low end but in comparison it has less than others.

olejason

Can we see guts? How many of the modes share the same transistors?

jhspedals.com

Vendor
@jhspedals.com thanks for clearing that up - lot's of Russian Muffs indeed!! PLEASE, please, please send one of these bad boys to Bjorn Riis from gilmourish.com, he has a dedicated page for Muffs (http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=3389 - talks about the Russian Muffs on there) and he'd do an amazing review for all us Gilmour fans who would no doubt be incredibly interested in this pedal!

Thank you!
Sure. His direct contact?

jhspedals.com

Vendor
Can we see guts? How many of the modes share the same transistors?
Sure! I post gut shots to all pedals on the site. These will go up soon, just got the production boards rolling. https://www.jhspedals.com/products/guitar-pedals/muffuletta/

I share the same transistor across all versions. The difference is so negligible, if heard at all that I could not justify the trouble of doing it. I think anyone who plays it will agree.

DewieCox

Silver Supporting Member
I keep talking myself out of it, then I check this thread and watch the CME demo and I'm right back in!! I know how to fight the GAS, but it's still beating me.

sutherland

Will this render my beloved Musket obsolete..?I guess so ...given the way this pedal is building up :) :)
I wouldn't count out the Musket. The EQ is pretty powerful and I would imagine with some tinkering, you can get it close to any one of the versions.

To quote JHS quoting Mike Matthews:
Even Mike Matthews said "take any 5 off the line and they will be different."
The huge advantage that both the Musket and Muffuletta have is functional/usable tone control(s) that can capture that ideal sound.

I'd be in the market for one, but I am playing Skreddy Pokemon at the moment and can't be disturbed...

plextasy

I have been looking for something compact to replace my black Russian V8.

Thing sounds pretty good but all of the pots are scratchy, it's big and the tone doesn't quite cut through the way I'd like. Very smooth sounding Muff. Sounds like the JHS has a little more bite and doesn't completely thin out when you turn up the tone.
You might have steered me away from Vick Audio and Buffalo effects!