New JHS Packrat

Fireheart7

When I saw the still add for the pack rat, my GAS started to kick in. "Will this be the pedal that makes me come back from mfx land?"
Then I heard the videos... "No thanks"
This might be the Arby's of pedals, looks good until you try it, lol.
Just my opinion, I'm sure Pete Thorn would make it sound great,lol.

papaboom

And it does this on all the different model settings?
I like to run nasty, edgy pedals into smoother overdrives with some EQ options so you get an overall Drive sound with a more interesting distortion... or if you are looking to blast a fuzz with the rat infront, I would look for a fuzz with at least a treble control to tame the overall edge and icepick.

Interesting question - I just checked and found that it varies depending on the model I choose. Some sound better with buffer off, others with buffer on.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
Interesting question - I just checked and found that it varies depending on the model I choose. Some sound better with buffer off, others with buffer on.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Well one thing is on some of the models the Tone control is flipped, so if you had the treble up on one and flipped it to a model that had a reversed tone control in the circuit you would get the 'opposite' tone setting and it would sound like it had a very different EQ, but really its that the tone control setting is now at the opposite end of the range... and the perceived benefits of the buffer would vary with the position of the tone control on each model.

strombie

When I saw the still add for the pack rat, my GAS started to kick in. "Will this be the pedal that makes me come back from mfx land?"

Came here for the Rat chat, now craving a Beef n' Cheddar with horsey sauce. thanks.

tooter007

I love the concept of these pedals, but I can’t see myself ever using more than one variation. I don’t think there’s a significant tone change and in a live setting it would never get touched.
I had that same experience with the Bonsai, in the end the JHS modded TS9 sounded the best and that's all I would ever use.

Muddy100

I had that same experience with the Bonsai, in the end the JHS modded TS9 sounded the best and that's all I would ever use.
Bonsai user here as well. I suspected the same thing at first, but I actually toggle between the 808, TS10, and even the JHS modes. Depends on the guitar, song, or cab I'm using...sometimes it's just that I am moody. Even live.

Now I am curious about the RAT

Last edited:

scopa

Platinum Supporting Member
I don’t have a rat yet not sure I’m a rat guy but not afraid to dip my feet in...I got no JHS yet either, so...

ditto that

Josh was jammin in that video. I dont have a rat, love the sound, just dont have one. Was watching the video and was like, man Josh your a cool dude, I;m gonna pop my rat cherry with you brother!

pedal sounds awesome

so it's the arby's of pedals yet you've never played through one.
lol ok.

also- if pete thorn can make it sound great, what does that tell you?
do you want a pedal to make you sound great or do you want to be a good player who can make any pedal sound great?

Fireheart7

so it's the arby's of pedals yet you've never played through one.
lol ok.

also- if pete thorn can make it sound great, what does that tell you?
do you want a pedal to make you sound great or do you want to be a good player who can make any pedal sound great?
1st part- yep, except I said "might"
2nd part, it tells me what we all know, he can make anything sound good
3rd part- I made my comment about a pedal, not a fellow player. In the end it's just a pedal...
and a rat at that.

Kudos to JHS for a cool design, really. It made me look which I had not done in a while.

Cheers

ToobNoob

I saw a reddit post yesterday that basically said "You can get the Black Mass and be a decent person or get the JHS and be a bigot, the choice should be clear"

...because that makes sense right?

Welcome to 2021, where logic (any logic) has been out the window for several years now.

I don't know about ANY of the "politics" that people reference now and then, but when I read something like this, it makes me want to go buy the JHS RAT pedal, and I had zero plans to do so originally.

Choice IS clear indeed.

T$

ToobNoob

i refuse to purchase any JHS product because josh likes Five Guys french fries.

thats the only scandal thats actually damning.

O snap, I did NOT know this. Their fries suck. Yeah, they give you an 8 lb bag of them, but, that kinda proves my point. If they didnt almost "give" them away, nobody would ever buy them. (Peel the friggin skin off the potato 1st, you lazy b!tches, THEN make fries.)

Wanted to point out that I got in this thread before imminent shutdown. Call it a 6th sense... lol. ;)

:munch

T$

Last edited:

jhspedals.com

Vendor
I don't own any JHS pedals, but I admire his YouTube work from a historical/preservation perspective and the company strikes me as fairly generous. I also really like their pedal aesthetics, which I know many don't. The simple icons and color patterns work really well. What I don't understand is why they still use hard click footswitches with those white plastic washers. And the PackRat icon is a bit of a disappointment.
The PackRats have soft touch footswitches, and we've moved some of our pedals that way already. Morning Glory, Pulp n Peel, Bonsai, and Spring Tank.

papaboom

Well one thing is on some of the models the Tone control is flipped, so if you had the treble up on one and flipped it to a model that had a reversed tone control in the circuit you would get the 'opposite' tone setting and it would sound like it had a very different EQ, but really its that the tone control setting is now at the opposite end of the range... and the perceived benefits of the buffer would vary with the position of the tone control on each model.

I noted the filter flipping. In my case a RAT is my "always on" drive. Looking at the literature, each of these selections is a replica of the original circuit. They go so far as to mention the BRAT is having an input buffer, following the "replica" model, some of these would be buffered and some not. I am very familiar with the RAT sound, in a couple of cases (and at some point I will document this) there were issues with buffer on/buffer off with certain selections and I noted the BRAT model seemed fine.

The Boss ES-5 buffer works well enough, I've ordered a polytune 3 to act as an input buffer.

I am otherwise impressed by the tone of the pedal. Unlike the originals, the filter and gain knobs seem to have a more useful taper and the tone is preferable to the other good RAT-alikes I've tried (Hartmann, Rattler, and Mosky.)

Ry@n

O snap, I did NOT know this. Their fries suck. Yeah, they give you an 8 lb bag of them, but, that kinda proves my point. If they didnt almost "give" them away, nobody would ever buy them. (Peel the friggin skin off the potato 1st, you lazy b!tches, THEN make fries.)

Wanted to point out that I got in this thread before imminent shutdown. Call it a 6th sense... lol. ;)

:munch

T$
Give them away? Have you not paid attention to the prices!?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom