New JHS Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The Worship Guitarist, Aug 26, 2019.

1. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Sounds like he knows the right asses to kiss. How friendly was he when Shnobel smoked him in the race to build a volume pedal/tuner?

Thesleepstalker likes this.
  2. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Ok, so you have to be an old man with decades of experience in building a two transistor analog circuit. Got it.

3. JWLee

JWLee Supporting Member

IF the pedal is recasing of older MK1.5

$399 is steal.

but it won't be happening.

4. BootRoots

BootRoots Member

Well Analogmans Beano is $175 and his mk1.5 is $250 so both easier on the wallet and regularly available.

Flatscan likes this.
  5. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Yes, that's why it's called a limited edition.

6. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

Hey everyone! I wanted to stop in and say thanks to those who bought one of these and communicate a few things in more detail because I don't expect everyone to watch my show and get all the fine details.

I have built these 80 pedals myself (with some family involvement), in my limited spare time at night over about a two month period in my basement. I decided to do these when I was researching 1966 topology for a class I was teaching and I after I had interviewed Anthony Macari in London about the Tonebender for research. I saw a great story unfold and saw a great opportunity to show that history and preserve the details.

For each design, I am using a different transistor type or selective gain range, and because of this I only have enough parts to do 20 of each in an identical way. I decided to treat it like Small Batch Whiskey. This is (was) batch #1. I won't ever replicate a batch # and I will do different specs on each consecutive batch. For those of you who bought one, you will notice this all detailed on the boxing via a batch number label and transistor part number that reflects that batch number. The boxing, sticker, logo, etc all reflect this. I see that a couple of people may have missed this detail of the project. I intend on doing more batches and have always said this in my posts about these and even in the release video at around 17 minutes. I have asked Sweetwater to reflect this a bit better and clearer so it doesn't look to some who haven't watched my show that I pulled a QVC show thing... "Oh no, there's more in the back that we didn't know we had!" Thanks for understanding this and for helping me communicate this if you see someone confused about the limited nature.

The next thing I want to say is yes... they are expensive. They are not for everyone and they are not supposed to be an affordable line of pedals. To make this worth my time I had to charge this. As I said, I did this in my spare time at night in between running a large company, traveling and life... and it was very time-consuming. I am not Pete Cornish or Analogman... But I respect these builders immensely and have proven that over the years. I did not price these based on these type of builders and don't consider myself competition for such a part of the pedal world. JHS approach is nothing like these companies. These men were building units like this before I was born, case closed, move on. I do believe that I have built a fantastic product in the 1966 series and I believe that I know what I am doing. I own the original and very rare units, have reversed them myself and measured every detail. I have sourced parts that I believe nail the sound, hand-matched/sorted transistors and really put a lot of love into each one. There are a thousand great builders of units like this and I bet they all sound good. That is not the point. These 1966 series pedals are for collectors, people who are fans of me or JHS and people who want a cool collectible/rare/limited pedal. I show cheaper alternatives in my episode on these because I am not oblivious to the pricing. I was shocked that all 80 sold out in a few hours and really wasn't prepared for that. I assumed it would take a month. I will start batch #2 soon and I hope those are enjoyed as well.

I hope this communicates the 1966 series in more detail for TGP. Have a great day!

7. Jazzmaster60

Jazzmaster60 Member

Congratulations on the project. I’m happy for you that it’s proven to be successful .
    Please tell me that you will release the interview with Ant Macari. I’ve spent some time with Ant Macari and as you would know he is highly entertaining.
    I think the two of you together would make for compelling viewing .
    Best of luck for continued success.

8. BootRoots

BootRoots Member

9. soma

soma Supporting Member

Ultimately this is the most important thing. A value proposition has to also exist for you and when you actually have a life and stuff going on the most expensive commodity is time. If you're able to make it worth your time and people still want to buy them then that's everyone involved in the transaction happy and annoying people on the internet like myself can probably learn to stop naysaying occasionally and let people enjoy things.

As far as I'm aware nobody was harmed during the making and selling of these items so good on everyone involved.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  10. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

We will. It will be a more documentary style release. I have many many amazing one on one interviews that I cant wait to show!

11. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Ant Macari is the best.

jhspedals.com likes this.
  12. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Supporting Member

I don’t own any JHS pedals, never have, and these aren’t likely to make their way into my collection, either.

But, I really enjoy his YouTube channel, and I think it’s clear that Josh is knowledgeable, passionate, and has fun talking about pedals. He may have had a bit of a rough start here on TGP, but I personally have grown to think of him as a valuable member of the broader “pedal community,” and I appreciate his contributions. I think little passion projects like this 1966 series are a neat idea, especially if he’s got so many folks happy to indulge in those prices. Big thumbs up from me to JHS, even if I’m not really their target audience.

13. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Internet Moderator/Super Hero Staff Member Supporting Member

I think it’s a great idea for a project and obviously there’s a huge market for it. Thanks for coming on here and clearing the air so to speak.

You, and your pedal building peers, all have a ton of knowledge about this stuff. Doing small batch lines of rare pedals like this is a great way to get those intricacies out there, and like you said there is a niche or collectors out there that will want them.

Hope you do more.

jhspedals.com, earwax and Sociophile like this.
  14. Kluch

Kluch Member

Have to agree on all accounts. I do enjoy watching his youtube videos. They're informative and entertaining.

15. JWLee

JWLee Supporting Member

Hi. I'd like to know what kind of trannies are in the Fuzz and Range Master. Transistors are the most important part of the fuzz so if the customer knows what transistors are in the pedal, they might be accept the high price range.

Davin Kuntze and analogmike like this.
  16. glynomes

glynomes Member

You should probably get some independent fact-checking on anything you hear from Anthony Macari

Davin Kuntze and soma like this.
  17. BootRoots

BootRoots Member

I think it’s safe to say the price has been accepted by a sufficient number of people as all pedals sold out in a couple hours. There are a few clues in the video though...
    [​IMG]

sanfi4u likes this.
  18. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

I may be wrong but they look like the Russian transistors that we use in our cheaper version of the Sun Bender MKIV. Those are 50 cents on eBay. Nice sounding in some pedals. Might be some NOS trans that look the same, if so I am very sorry for this post.

19. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

Get him...

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  20. The Worship Guitarist

The Worship Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Gotcha. I do remember hearing Josh say that he had a truckload of vintage parts that a good friend gave him and he was going to use for small batches of vintage style pedals. Not sure if this series is the response to that.