New Job = New Guitar : Need Advice (Strat)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by abovethewave, Feb 11, 2008.

1. abovethewave

abovethewave Member

hey folks,

i am in the process of negotiating a new job offer. it will provide a considerable increase in income. so, of course I am GASing like crazy. This year, I hope to add a guitar and amp to the family. So, I am seeking advice on a Strat.
    • Definitely want a Fender
    • Willing to spend between $1 - $2k
    • Rosewood fretboard
    • Not interested in later technologies such as HSS
    • Upgrades would be 5-Way Switch, 3-Ply, Locking Tuners
    • V-Neck
    • Unsure of body material
    • Custom Shop would be a bonus
    • a Relic would be a bonus
    • Currently looking at '62 RIs
    My approach to amps is headroom and clean tones and use pedals for dirt. As far as the electronics, I would be looking for a p'up combination that would be classified as fat, buttery, clean, but not too hot at the bridge. I play primarily chicago blues ala Magic Sam, Buddy Guy, Otis Rush and southern blues rock ala Black Crowes, Allmans, Widespread, Radiators, etc

I am looking for advice on stock Fender models to be looking for when checking out my local music stores. I have done a lot of reading on TGP and as must research as I can on the web only to find model after model after model and am a little cloudy.

Any Fender pundits that can lighten the way?

2. justonwo

justonwo Member

You might have a hard time finding one to play, but the Custom Classic Strat w/ rosewood board and V neck would be my choice. You get a more modern 9.5" neck radius and, gorgeous figured maple neck, one of the most exquisite neck finishes you will ever play, and great pickups. Oh, and it's Custom Shop. I believe all the solid colored ones are alder.

It doesn't have the locking tuners, but it does have the 3-ply pickgaurd and 5-way selector. You can only get them in a new finish, however. The stock finish is poly, but a store in San Jose has about a dozen CC Strats special ordered in nitro for about the same price.

The AV62 would be another option. Or the AV62 Hot Rod if you want a mix of vintage and modern specs. I don't think you can get many relics (except maybe used) in your price range.

3. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

4. abovethewave

abovethewave Member

justonwo - thanks for the suggestion on the Custom Classic. i've moved to the NoVA, DC area and have some exploration to do to find some vintage shops. i am looking forward to trying these out. have you heard of these in nitro-burst?

thanks for the offer Lester, I am going to stay the path with the Fender for now! who know's, next year I will probably be building partscasters . . . who knows.

5. arfalax

arfalax Member

If you're wanting the vintage Fender vibe you could do a whole lot worse than the Vinetto Artifact DC57 that is for sale (not by me) that is in the Emporium right now and it's in your price range.

6. abovethewave

abovethewave Member

thanks for the referral, I sent donnie b. a note asking for pics.

7. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

With that budget, you can do a WHOLE lot better than a Fender.

Good luck. (Think Grosh, Suhr, Melancon, Anderson, Tyler, to name just a few. And there are others.) And that Vinetto is a fine suggestion as well.