New John Mayal lineup

19rick52

Anybody know anything about the new lineup? Rocky Athas on guitar. Greg Rzab, bass. Jay Davenport on drums. I'm missing Buddy alreeady. Any news about him?

MissMy59s

As the story goes; All of the old band members were released because someone was "getting too old and wanted to stop touring". The next thing you know 50 dates were booked with a new band.

Buddy has his own CD out now, which is killer. See Buddy Whittington.com and order it. You will not be disappointed. I bought it in December and listen to cuts daily.

Funny anecdote about Rocky. He does not sing. Buddy used to open the show, which was the que for Mayall to come out. Everyone knows Buddy can definitely sing. Now Mayall wants Rocky to open the show the way Buddy did. ooops. Rocky is a great guitar player, and was in the 70s, but always had to hire lead singers. No secret why. Another big talent with a big ego in tow. He and I were both '59 Burst collectors back in the $3500 burst days. Buddy, on the other hand, is simply the nicest person you will ever meet and a monster player. He too, was great back in the 70s. Buddy kept honing his chops, which were always blues based, and became a great vocalist and can write great songs. Rocky was more of a Gary Moore type blues shredder, and like Gary adapted back to the blues when 4 minute over played lead solos died. Great rock guitar players are parked all over Texas sans-gig, or moved to the blues or country.

If Buddy could do Mayall and promote himself, it would be great. but...

Go to Gary Moore's website and check out his tour schedule. Down near the bottom, check out his very special guest act, Buddy Whittington. Promoting himself. Very nice indeed!!!

Last edited:

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Damn...why would anyone lose Buddy as a player?

I agree...that boy is the real deal.

I ordered his CD...love the samples on his MySpace site.

:cool:

S.
j

Last edited:

Madison

All the Mayall CD's I own, and all the concerts I've attended were due to, (with all due respect to the legendary Mr Mayall) Buddy Whittington. It all went down in a strange way, but then, Mr Mayall is now well over 70 and who knows what floats his boat. I know Rocky A has big shoes to fill.

Greg R has certainly been 'around the block'. I believe he played with Stevie & Clapton at the last one.

Alister

Supporting Member
I suspect, just from the Mayall homepage stuff, that Buddy himself wanted to get "lost." I have no idea of course, but it reads like an inside joke to me, that "the old guy" who doesn't want to tour any more is probably Buddy, who is actually younger than the other band guys and way younger than Mayall.

But Mayall is frigging amazing, for his age. I saw him hauling his own keyboard amp, stands, and mics onto the stage like a roadie, at a gig a few years ago.

Madison

I suspect, just from the Mayall homepage stuff, that Buddy himself wanted to get "lost."
Nope, Buddy was actually a bit surprised how it went down...but being the gentleman he is, took the high road. You won't hear/read any 'bellyaching' on the 'net from him.

69strat

I saw Mayall with Buddy at the Imax in Huntington , Long Island... Aside from having the best, and I mean the best live strat tone I have ever, ever, ever heard, he is a great guy as well..

During the intermission I Sheepishly started asking him about his gear... The funny thing was that he was kinda talking to someone else and when I started talking gear, he just dropped the other conversation.... He went on and on about so many different things ... Famliy, bills, playing, his atenuator and how to use it...

Way cool guy.. I am going to his site to buy his cd right now..

FREELESSONSNOW

Mayall has always had an eye for great guitarists. Without them, his music wouldn't see the light of day.

I do love John Mayall too.

Alister

Supporting Member
Nope, Buddy was actually a bit surprised how it went down...but being the gentleman he is, took the high road. You won't hear/read any 'bellyaching' on the 'net from him.
I believe you, but where or how did you hear this?

Dave Orban

Man, we need to get him to post over here, too. We need more top-notch player contributions around here.
He would have to be able to put up with some of our top-notch juvenile delinquents, though, as well... Not sure I'd want to wish that on him... :jo

Alister

Supporting Member
He would have to be able to put up with some of our top-notch juvenile delinquents, though, as well... Not sure I'd want to wish that on him... :jo
Yeah, I just reconsidered after my 2nd coffee, and popping through some other threads.

You're right.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Well,
We dont have the corner on THAT market, I'm afraid. :)

(Though we indeed have some prime contenders for Juvie of the month, I'll give ya that. :D )

S>
j

Trending Topics