New Kar Krash Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dayn, Jan 29, 2008.

1. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am the proud owner of the new Kar Krash pedal by Menatone. I just received it yesterday from Brian at Super Sound Music in San Diego.

WOW!

I am LOVING this pedal! I have been obsessed with the Trainwreck/Komet sound for some time now (ever since I heard Knopfler's Shangri La album) and I am VERY impressed with this pedal.

The challenge with a real Trainwreck or clone or any of the Komets is volume when you are a basement player like me. They are too loud...

Inefficient speakers, attenuators, power scaling all have been tried to tame them for home use. Some claim to make them work this way but that is a lot of added cost to an already expensive amp plus cabinet plus speakers, etc. If you can afford it and make it work great. Here is my solution:

I am running my guitar into the Kar Krash and then into an Atomic Reactor 112-50. It is a 50 watt 2x6L6 1x12 amplifier designed to be used with a Pod, Tonelab, or some other modeller. It has no preamp (the modeller is the preamp) and is simply a power amp with a speaker.

When you plug a guitar straight into it and turn the amp and your guitar volume all the way up there is not much volume and is stays purely clean. No preamp to boost/drive the signal into a lot of volume or any clipping.

This is the perfect platform to let the Kar Krash be the "preamp" turning this overlooked/unknown/not cared about amp into the tones of my dreams at bedroom levels. It can certainly get loud with the pedal turned up and depending on your settings...even loud enough to gig with. But it still gets amazing tones with the pedal volume set lower.

It ends up being very touch sensitive, harmonic feedback is there, and it is very versatile with a Comet/Wrecked toggle switch basically giving you 2 amps, and a Fast/Gradual switch that works on both "amps" to give more gain.

I can now do all of my Knopfler licks, attempt to learn some of Glen's licks from his "Can you hear it Ring?" CD (Geetarpicker here on the forum), and go anywhere from clean to chime to gritty clean to crunch to smooth distortion to aggressive lead tone to over the top all with my guitar's volume knob, my picking dynamics, and a quick toggle or stomp on the pedal to "change amps."

Komet and Trainwreck in one pedal thank you very much!

DISCLAIMER:

I am not claiming they sound the same as the originals but close enough for me to enjoy having that tone and feel I enjoy and have been longing for but have been unable to afford (wallet and ears!)

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

This is high on my radar! :)

3. utterhack

utterhack Member

+1 :AOK

4. MrDoty

MrDoty Member

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

screw clips, pics! :D lol...

Clips would be cool, too ;)

so are these like shipping now? :)

6. dayn

I don't have any way to make clips but here are pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Congrats on your new pedal! Very nice! I'd like to try one sometime.

8. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

ohmigawd i am drooling.

9. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

I got to pound on these at namm and its crazy good...

10. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

sounded great at Namm with the Fargen/Menatone amp... ill be getting one for sure!

11. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Stop it! I don't have the money for one yet! [drools]

12. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Mine is on the way right now!!!

I preordered mine from Brian of Super sound music...

Your thread is making me want one of the babies even more now.

13. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

thanks for the review... loved this pedal in the previous version. just might have to give this a try if i can find one.

14. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

I got mine from Super Sound Music as well...#004! It arrived yesterday but unfortunately I haven't had any time to really check it out, feeling a bit under the weather the past few days. I'll let you know my impressions in the next day or so.

I'll probably be looking to sell my PTP version if the new one sounds as good as I think it will. I'll keep you guys posted.

15. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

The price for the new version is $299.00 but I think production is a bit limited right now...Super Sound got the first batch of 20 but they're all sold out. I'm sure Brian from SS would gladly put you on the list if you want to preorder one from the next shipment. You can also check with Teddy at Musictoyz, he sell's a lot of Menatone pedals.

16. dayn

FWIW I have owned the PTP version II Kar Krash and this one is better. Can't speak to the earliest ones (I think Brew Beck is selling #1), but this one sounds and feels better to me than the PTP version with the red triangle and similar graphic.

17. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

dayn,
    What exactly is going on with the "Crash/Wrecked" toggle?

18. dayn

Wreck side is more gain/tighter bass.

19. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

dayn, I have to agree with you on the ptp versions Vs the current offerings from Menatone.

The current KOTB totally smoked my PTP KOTB!

The wait for the Kar Krash is killing me! :D