New Keeley Boutique SD9!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by turtleheadblues, Sep 8, 2015.

1. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Don't be afraid to mention a pedal idea to a builder. They may just build it as RK did for me!

Comes out in a few days it looks like. He's talking about it on Facebook.

Looks very cool.

brettmoor and Holzar88 like this.
  2. brettmoor

brettmoor Supporting Member

What's it called?

3. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

Looks like he's calling it the DS9 at the moment, though I suppose that could change... his description makes it sound like an Ibanez SD9/BOSS DS-1 in one box. Here's the CGI mockup he posted in the comments on his personal Facebook page (not the Keeley company one). I'm sure @RobertKeeley will let us all in on the story whenever it's ready to go...

[​IMG]

brettmoor likes this.
  4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

"Filter" makes me think of a particular LM308 distortion.

5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

Hmm, this might be interesting.

6. Steven

Steven Member

If he would make a SD9 with a better tone control rage and a bit more clean up I would blow my fuse.

7. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

A switchable Keeley SD-9 with midrange control would be really nice. I had an analog man SD-9 with mid control/boost that I sold like a complete moron.

8. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

I think that's exactly what he's doing as he added a high pass band filter.

9. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

I'm totally interested in this. Huge SD-9 fan. Would love to check one out.

Any idea on retail and availability?

10. tinkercity

Anyone pick up one of these?

11. Caprica

Caprica Member

12. jackrockerman

jackrockerman Member

this is combo from heaven!!
    i'm a fan of Sd-9 ..

13. Caprica

Caprica Member

do share ... Has it bumped the maxon sd9 off your board?

14. Steven

Steven Member

I got one but I didnt like it. It was kind of not like the SD-9 IMO, more hi-fi somehow. The DS side was good for higher gain stuff but that wasnt what I was after.

15. 50MkII

50MkII Member

Do not see hardly much about this pedal here. I have had one. The SD side IMO is in need of some tweaking. Almost as if it came in as an afterthought or just as an added bonus. The Ibanez SD9M I have sounded better. Do like the "cutoff" knob. Useful for the DS side of things. I still remain a bit on the fence with it though. Played it through a clean channel amp and stock Marshall 2203. I am curious if the Keeley modded DS-1 nails the DS side of the pedal or if people would recommend the modded DS-1 pedal having not tried it. I have a stock DS-1 but have not compared the DS-9 to it.

16. tinkercity

I picked one up and couldn't get on with it at all. I respect Keeley for their work though, so it's no slag on the company. Being quite a fan of the SD-9 I was stoked to give this a try. It seemed to take the issues the SD-9 has and really make it better. It however, didn't sound anything like an SD-9 to me. The other side - DS-1 clone sounded way better but not my bag or what I was wanting the pedal for. I found the gain less than a stock SD-9 at all settings and to be much thinner sounding, maybe even brittle. The DS side was more robust, seemingly the focus of the pedal.

I will say that in all of the aftermarket mods I've tried on the Maxon SD-9 none do anything to the circuit that makes it better. Marginally, the Analogman modded one with midrange pot helps, but once you start messing with the mid range too much, it becomes a different pedal. Something about the original circuit with it's limitations sounds the best. I'm still looking for a 'better' SD-9... just not sure it's possible. The issue remaining, once you start changing pieces of the puzzle the magic the pedal has starts to diminish...

To help understand simply, the things that are important to me about the SD-9 are:
    - 4x12 cabinet 'feel' from the gain on rock chunky rhythm
    - extremely tight yet creamy low end
    - incredible clean up with volume knob
    - that fuzz face meets ts-9 style sound and feel
    - most importantly, a warm tone yet sizzle or crispy like an overdriven amp when digging in..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Eliguitar likes this.
  17. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

I agree. I've tried the Keeley and didnt bond with it either so I sold it. I hava an old Analogman SD9 Silver, one with a mid knob and the Ibanez SD9M which can sound very close to the maxon at some settings but has the option for more gain and more mids/less bass if needed.
    I havent found another pedal that does what the SD9 does. Not trying to start anything but Im curious to try the Vertex Dynamic Distortion if the price is right.