New Kendrick Lamar tune debuted last night on Fallon

Braunzo

And it was fantastic. It's so cool seeing a cat like Kendrick in his prime and just killing it. Probably my favorite artist out there right now.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Big fan. My favorite musicians in Pop music are playing this music. Stellar musicianship.

changeling

He was incredible on Fallon.
He's up for 11grammys for "how to pimp a butterfly".
Hope he gets every last one,too.
I haven't liked anything I've seen as much in a while.

CDP

Creativity and originality that you just don't see very often. He's on FIRE, his band is as well.

Maybe the word "incredible" isn't accurate, but K Lamar is a special artist and a huge talent.

I haven't liked any of his album stuff I've heard thus far but this was right up my alley. Might have to dig deeper.

Man, I always wanted to get someone to rap with my instrumental/jam band but never got that together. Musical regrets.

aram

You know, I think the amazing thing that I've seen is that people across all ages, levels etc love him.

A lot of the professional musicians I play with are in awe of the record - even David Bowie said it influenced his last album.

But this last Friday I was teaching some 14 and 15 year olds, and they were talking about how much they love it too.

djbrough

He understands the importance of musicianship. As a core rapper, that is highly important. On TPAB, he worked with some heavy jazz talent to pull it off. Robert Glasper, Thundercat, Lalah Hathaway, Terrace Martin, etc. These are all Grammy-winning musicians. It makes a huge difference.

Garrett Bagby

Um, what was so 'incredible' about it?

Just asking...

I think it's the most musical rap performance I've heard (and I've heard quite a bit). Instead of performing over the music like even great rappers usually do, he's performing to/with the music. And the band is TIGHT. The changes and the way it builds at the end are progressive and it works great.

Rap usually loses a lot live, IMO. Most can't seem to deliver the lines with the same enunciation and clarity as in the studio. Kendrick nailed it here. He could put this performance on the next album and be proud.

Lyrically it's deep and he delivered a TON of lyrics flawlessly with great passion in a unique style. Very refreshing considering the superficial nature of a lot of current rap stars.

Not everybody is going to "get it", so that's cool too.

moj067

Silver Supporting Member
He was just on ACL this last weekend.
Great show, great crowd. He's in a great place creatively.

ChazMania

Gold Supporting Member
I have never appreciated this kind of music. When I heard him do a cut awhile ago on Colbert, I was FLOORED and bought Butterfly, first time in my life I've bought 'rap' but this is way beyond rap. It's friggin intoxicating and riveting art!!

richt

The music is great and he is a very talented vocalist for rap, but overall it does nothing for me. It's not where my head is at.

cheers,

richt

Trending Topics

Top Bottom