New Kiesel model: Osiris

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitargeek6298, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Brig Gen Ripper

Brig Gen Ripper Member

Very nice playing. And I think the axe looks better around your neck than it does by itself at the Kiesel website! Now I'm giving that one a serious look. Do you have the Ferrari Red or Crimson Transparent?

jzucker and cardinal like this.
  2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

crimson transparent.

Brig Gen Ripper likes this.
  4. cardinal

cardinal Member

@jzucker thanks for the clips! Awesome playing, sounds great too.

I’ll agree that it actually looks very cool with someone standing and actually playing it. I know it’s very dumb and superficial, but the only thing that’s kept me from ordering one* is that they look kinda goofy to me in all the pictures. But in action, it’s actually all good and just looks like: a guitar!

* I’m an 8-string guy who likes the 27” scale and tremolos, so the headless Zeus/Osiris/Vader are the only readily available guitars with those specs.

Brig Gen Ripper and jzucker like this.
  5. Phil M

Phil M Member

Sleepy Hollow ...

jzucker likes this.
  6. japanmoran

japanmoran Member

The Kiesel booth was constantly jammed at NAMM I just was like "am I the only one not taking crazy pills?"
    But I realized that just because I think they are fugly doesn't mean crap. I went and played a couple and they were very impressive and light. So I have changed my ways - I will not be buying any, but if it inspires kids to take up the guitar and play I am all for it. Will sit on my porch with my old man guitars and let them play on my lawn.

7. panther_king

panther_king Member

Okay, I'll bite...

The only reason we AREN'T is that the first guitars that rock stars made famous were Les Pauls, Teles, and Strats. If the Beatles played a Strandberg in 1965, and Jimmy Page showed up playing a Kiesel Osiris in 1970, you can be damn sure we'd all be playing those as much as anything else out there.

The fallacy is that wood = tone. Really, wood absorbs vibration. Different woods do it in different ways, but what comes out the other end is tone. Whether what comes out the other end is through a block of mahogany or a cigar box is inconsequential. If it sounds good, it doesn't matter what is vibrating and how, and the assumption that it has to be a certain type or amount of wood, or wood at all, is a fallacy.

8. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Pissed jeans burst, yeah can't say I'm a fan there but to each their own. I can't get into the headless guitar thing, feels too naked to me.

9. Steady

Steady Member

I got my Zeus last week. I think it's the same as the Osiris excepting the body shape (single cutaway).
    Initial impressions, taking it out of the case: "OMG that's beautiful" I ordered it with Mahogany/Mahogany/Rosewood (no maple body cap) with a standard classic sunburst, and I second-guessed myself during the whole build period thinking "sunburst finishes are for maple-capped bodies - I should have gotten trans-crimson". But my anxiety was unfounded - it looks great. Low-key, not flashy, but great.
    The other item I second-guessed myself was the 7-string feature, and I'm still on the fence about it. So far it's not really getting in my way, so I'm sure I'll eventually be able to learn to incorporate the low B, but it's *different*.
    I opted for the "Beryllium" pickups, which are supposed to be the lower-output, vintage-style pups compared to their standard "Lithium" pups. Since I play mostly jazz and blues, and not over-the-top progressive stuff, I thought they would be more appropriate. As a frame of reference, my previous main guitar is a PRS Mira, (Mahogany/Mahogany/Rosewood, see the connection?) which I love. Now, I don't have a high end tube amp (coming as soon as I can afford) but I'm playing this through a Helix stomp. My favorite setting is with the Twin model with a bit of verb, which sounds as smooth as milk. So the clean tones sound awesome to me. I'm still exploring dirty tones little by little and will eventually be getting a nice amp (Dr Z? Fillmore? likely something with 6L6s).
    The headless element is something I've wanted for years, just for ease of travel - fits better in the back of the car/truck, strap it on a motorcycle to get to a gig, fits in an airline overhead ... the only downside for me is having to grip it a bit more purposefully when picking it up by the neck. No headstock to help you handle it.
    The multiscale element - well it just looks cool! .... and hasn't required any thought to adapt to - the difference is more subtle to play than to see.

Anyways - it's not for everybody, but so far I'm loving it.

10. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

@Steady we need a pic! Sounds like a great guitar. No shame in an HX stomp, I've never been more satisfied with my tone since getting my Helix.

11. Steady

Steady Member

12. panther_king

panther_king Member

Nice man - as far as the seven string goes, I would look into trying to get it into some kind of open tuning on the low string to get comfortable with using it, but also in a way where you can just hit it for some depth without having to over think how to fit it in.

Standard is BEADGBE, but try just plunking it into AEADGBE for that 'drop D on a seven string' thing without having to do too much thinking about it. If you want to go even more open on the low end, you could try GDADGBE, or go 'seven string DADGAD' with the open G too. You might find you need a little thicker string on the bottom doing that though.

..And yeah, I agree about the HX Stomp; there's no need to feel bad about using that as your 'amp' - it's a sweet piece of gear.

13. Steady

Steady Member

Yeah, I should probably try tuning to A, I can then make all those 5th string chords into 7th string chords. I know a local jazz guitarist who does that.