• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New Kingley Jouster vs. Minstrel Comparison Video

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I've been on vacation and shooting some videos for Instagram and Youtube. Here's on I just did comparing a Kinglsey Jouster (V2) to a Kingsley Minstrel (V1). It ain't "That Pedal Show" for sure, but, well, it's short ;).....

Read the description for the details.

Last Nerve

There is no magic tone in a decal.
Gold Supporting Member
Nice demo.
Thanks for sharing.
They sound pretty similar. IMO, a little more blooming feedback with the Minstrel.
All stock tubes in both pedals?
How do the differ, feel-wise, IYO?

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Nice demo.
Thanks for sharing.
They sound pretty similar. IMO, a little more blooming feedback with the Minstrel.
Yeah, they do sound pretty similar. I think the Minstrel has bigger bass/looser feel, while the Jouster is a bit tighter sounding/feeling. With the switches, you can make them sound more different from each other for sure, but most people, when deciding between Kingsley pedals want to understand the similarities more than the differences, I think.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Nice demo.
Thanks for sharing.
Forgot to answer your question about the tubes. No, both have ANOS tubes (RCAs, I think) that I installed when I first got each of the pedals. Though I can't honestly say it makes a difference. I just have a lot of ANOS 12AX7 tubes, so why not.

leighianson

I got on the Kingsley list last week and am in for a few months wait. May I ask why you chose the Jouster over the Jester? I am considering which one would work better for leads and heavy rhythms. Thanks

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
May I ask why you chose the Jouster over the Jester?
Sure.

I had played a Jester before. It was cool, but...

I had the Minstrel first. Bought that used, at a good price, probably 6 or more years ago now (after I had tried the Jester). Used the Minstrel as my primary OD for gigs for a few years. But I wanted to have two (Kingsley tube) switchable OD tones at my feet, rather than just one, so the Jouster made sense - so I bought that directly from Simon probably 3 years ago. I was concerned about the single tone control for each channel, but it's not a problem at all. There really are 6 different OD tones in the pedal, plus the ability to tweak them via the tone knobs. I have never wished I had more EQ control on that pedal. I use one side for my regular OD tone, the other for heavier OD tones, and a separate boost after them to get louder for solos. You can see in the video that I have a Soul Food pedal to add gain before the Jouster, but I just threw that on there recently --- in truth, when I was gigging that board (I'm using a Kemper these days, though considering going back to the tubes now), I had a a Marvel Drive in that slot for a more Plexi-ish sound when I needed it.

So the Jester just gives you one OD tone, plus the clean(ish) boost. I think it's easy to get a good clean(ish) boost without the tubes.

I hope that makes sense.
Joe

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the demo, surprised how similar they sounded. I currently have a jester on one board and a harlot on another board, but am Gasing for more. I have been debating between a minstrel v2 and jouster v2 for a while now. Pretty much settled on the jouster as I think it would be a better for rock, which is mostly what I play. I initially chose the jester over the jouster due to the 3 band eq, but after tracking the plunge on the harlot with the single tone knob, I think the jouster will do nicely. I do really like the boost on the jester, been great for pushing an amp into breakup which is now possible with the power station.

Do you have a preference between the modes and which channel is your favorite on the jouster?

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Do you have a preference between the modes and which channel is your favorite on the jouster?
Depends on the amp. Here's how I see the 3 modes on the Jouster:

Mode 1 is most like a Plexi tone - most dynamic, most treble, and least added mids.
Mode 2 is more like an OCD-type of thing (modded/thicker Marshall)
Mode 3 has got a mid-boost, so acts somewhat like a Tube Screamer in that regard (but doesn't sound like a tube screamer).

Given that: Mode 1 isn't necessarily the best with a Blackface amp (needs more mids) at lower volumes, while mode 3 works really well with that same blackface amp. With a clean Marshall-type amp, mode 1 is great. This is true of both Jouster channels.

Per the 2 channels, as Simon says (ha!), channel 2 is bit edgier, so I use channel 1 for lower gain stuff (basically what you heard on the video), and channel 2 for higher gain classic rock tones.

Last Nerve

There is no magic tone in a decal.
Gold Supporting Member
I'm on the list for the Jester, but JoeB63, that video has me leaning towards the Jouster.
Nice to have two ODs in one box.
You really don't miss or feel like EQ knobs are needed instead of the single Tone?

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I'm on the list for the Jester, but JoeB63, that video has me leaning towards the Jouster.
Nice to have two ODs in one box.
You really don't miss or feel like EQ knobs are needed instead of the single Tone?
Not at all.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Depends on the amp. Here's how I see the 3 modes on the Jouster:

Mode 1 is most like a Plexi tone - most dynamic, most treble, and least added mids.
Mode 2 is more like an OCD-type of thing (modded/thicker Marshall)
Mode 3 has got a mid-boost, so acts somewhat like a Tube Screamer in that regard (but doesn't sound like a tube screamer).

Given that: Mode 1 isn't necessarily the best with a Blackface amp (needs more mids) at lower volumes, while mode 3 works really well with that same blackface amp. With a clean Marshall-type amp, mode 1 is great. This is true of both Jouster channels.

Per the 2 channels, as Simon says (ha!), channel 2 is bit edgier, so I use channel 1 for lower gain stuff (basically what you heard on the video), and channel 2 for higher gain classic rock tones.
Very helpful. With the Jester I adjust the eq (mainly the mid knob) when switching between my fender bandmaster reverb and vox ac50. The modes just mainly provide more gain and aggression as you go up on the Jester. I can see on the Jouster, I will need to switch the modes when changing between amps. I am hoping the Jouster will replace my bogner red and provide more versatility.

My hope is that the jester will be my low gain in mode 1, than will have jouster for mid gain in od1 and high gain in od2 and I can use the boost on the jester to push the jouster if needed. Always wished I could switch the boost position on the jester to either before or after the od section versus having it fixed after the od section.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom