New Kingsley Amp on order!! Brilliant new concept!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Macaroni, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

As many of you may know, I've got a Kingsley Deluxe 32 - it's my only amp. I absolutely love it. It has 2 separate preamps, both the same - one I use for clean and the other for OD, since it has a separate Gain control to add preamp gain. I can also bypass the EQ section on the clean channel and get beautiful power amp OD. The cleans and OD tones are absolutely beautiful, and perfect for my tastes and tonal quests to find my own signature voices.

It uses 4 x EL84s, but it's not trying to be a Vox clone. With it's Pentode/Triode & 30W/15W switches, I can get a wide variety of tones - really quite amazingly versatile. I've got it loaded with wonderful NOS tubes and it has never sounded better. It's hard to imagine it being better at this point.

I didn't have any major GAS for another amp, although I've always thought that if I got some windfall from investments this year, I might consider a Fuchs ODS30SLX or a Bruno Cowtipper 35, just to get that 6V6 &/or 6L6 tonal vibe, and Fuchs/Dumble flavor OD.

Well, on Sat morning I got an eMail from John (aka Bluetweed), with pictures and descriptions of a new Kingsley amp. It isn't even officially available yet - John has the first one, and Simon is making the second one for himself. And quite unexpectedly, I'm getting the third one!

I've seen amps that can use different output tubes to give different flavors, ie: EL84, EL34, 6V6 & 6L6, but nothing like this new amp (unless I missed something - easy to do).

Here's what's unique about it. It uses a combination of 2 x EL84s and either 2 x 6V6s, or 2 x 6L6s, or 2 x EL34s. Four tubes altogether - two pairs of different tubes.

There are separate Master Volume controls to vary the levels of each set of tubes, so you can blend them together in any way you choose, and also regulate the overall output level of the amp. According to Simon, "The two levels are acting as master volumes, but I have designed the circuit so that when they are turned completely up, the actual grid resistance the output tubes are seeing is the same as if there had been no master volumes in place (in other words these controls have absolutely no effect on the sound of the amp when turned up".

There is a switch to go from 4 tubes to 2 tubes, namely the 6V6s or 6L6s or EL34s, whatever you're using. The max output with 4 tubes is around 35W. If you choose 2 tubes, you then have a choice to choose between 6V6 or EL34, ie: which ever tube set you're using. Simon does this so the power and impedance can be adjusted for the EL34s & 6L6s, to give them more juice when they're on their own. When using all 4 tubes, the current draw to the 6L6s or EL34s is reduced, and even though the impedances are different between EL84s & 6L6s & EL34s, he says is still works and sounds great.

There are also separate Pentode/Triode switches for each pair of tubes, giving even more tonal shaping capabilities. I use these all the time, and it really gives the amp several distinct flavors, when used with the 30W/15W switch on mine. The new amp won't have a 30W/15W switch, for obvious reasons.

Mine will be based on a Deluxe 32, and it won't have Reverb, as I use a wet/dry/wet or wet/dry configuration. I can only imagine how many tonal variations there will be, especially with nice NOS tubes... RCA Blackplate 6L6GC, Tungsol 5881, RCA Blackplate 6V6GT and Mullard EL34, etc.

This new Kingsley may very well squelch my GAS for any 6V6, 6L6, or EL34 type amp. I prefer keeping things simple, but with maximum options at the same time. One amp - many options/flavors - just my style. I should have it by late May, early June. I can't wait to try it with the new Celestion Alnico Golds.

2. granite

granite Member

Wow...what's Simon calling the amp? The Super Deluxe?

3. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

He doesn't have a name for it yet. We'll have to wait and see.

4. reeves amps

reeves amps Member

That is a very cool idea. I think BadCat has the Tone Cat which is based on the same concept. I think a few years back Budda had the Dual Stage 30, the amp is out of production for now due to Boogie having a patent on "tube switching"...but I'm not positive if this is fact or not.

5. tjs

tjs Senior Member

So in 2-tube mode, you can only use the two 6v6/6L6/EL34s, not the two EL84s? Or can you choose between the EL84s and the 6v6/6L6/EL34s?

And for the two channel version, can you choose different output tube pairs for each preamp channel, or is the power section selection global?

I may have to give Simon a call soon...

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

7. 57special

57special Member

anyone notice that Kingsleys amost never come up for sale used? And when they do it 's for close to the new price? :mad:

8. tjs

tjs Senior Member

There's a very, very good reason for this.:JAM

9. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

2 Tubes mode means only 6v6/6L6/EL34s - no EL84s. If you just want EL84s, you can stay in 4 tube mode and turn down the Level of the other pair.

The power section is global - no choosing for each preamp. I thought of that, and that would be fantastic, but would probably require a lot of re-engineering and added cost.

The base prices on his amps have already gone up. I'll be selling my D32 in June.

10. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I really like being able to switch output tubes like this. You can really change the whole flavor of an amp. I also like the ability to mix them up, using an easily distorted tube such a 6V6 along with something like a KT66 to provide a clear bottom and top along with a fat middle.

Being able to select different combinations based upon the channel is pretty cool, too. They should consider doing that. I find it extremely useful.

11. Mike

Mike Member

Didn't the Mesa Blue Angel do this? I was always surprised that more designers didn't emulate that. They called it "progressive linkage", or something like that....

The Kingsley clips are some of the best I've heard on the net. Maybe one day I'll get to play one.

Mike

12. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Aside from the blend design, which is unique, Jeff Bober did this with the dual stage 30 to a certain extent...whereby the player could switch power sections when they switched channels.

Mesa had something to say about it :(. Apparently, they own a patent on power amp switching that prevented Budda from continuing with the Dual Stage 30

This amp sounds a bit more complex than that. I think that it's a great idea, and I hope that the design is free and clear of any Mesa patent purchase.

13. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

14. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Do you have it, or did Simon take those pictures?

If you do have it, what are your initial impressions?

15. B Vance

B Vance Member

Have to agree about the clips. Some of the best I've heard! Anyone know of any shops that carry Kingsley? Do you have to order from the source? I'd love to play one...

16. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

17. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

You can only get Kingsleys direct from Simon Jarret in BC Canada, or used from owners - no dealers that I am aware of.

The clips are also what sold me, reinforced by the detailed, rave reviews I read.

Those pics were taken by John/Bluetweed, who is the owner of the first production model. His is a Deluxe 30T (one preamp) with Reverb & Tremolo. Mine will be a Deluxe 32, without Reverb or Tremolo, and the two Level controls will be on the front panel, instead of the back.

18. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Stephenson does this in his LJ-10 and LJ-15 amps.
    If you want versatile, my vote would be Stephenson LJ-15 that guy packs an incredible amount of stuff in a small package.

19. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I just checked out the Stephenson site, and his amps look very cool, with great features and similar options. However, his two channel version, which is the closest to the Deluxe 32 that I'm getting, is $4,200 - almost $2,000 more! Too much for my wallet, but they sure look nice.

20. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Oh wow .. didn't even notice that on his pricing! I got the now discontinued LJ-15 head which as you can see is much cheaper ...