New Kingsley Plexi Style Tube Preamp Pedal (Picture inside!)

dapeegoo

Silver Supporting Member

Simon Jarrett from Kingsley just emailed me about his new Plexi style tube preamp pedal. I've been asking him to make me one in a new enclosure and it has finally arrived! The pedal takes 2 12ax7s and runs on 12v 500ma. I plan on using this preamp along with my Torpedo CAB for power amp, speaker, and mic simulation.

Simon has also made me a Dumble, Vox ac30, and Supro T1624 preamp, which I currently use on my Torpedo CAB and it sound amazing. Very excited to try this new preamp out. I will have the ability to switch between 4 different types of amp tones all on my pedalboard.

He also mentioned to me that his new smaller version of the Ministrel will be arriving in early November and a midi effects switcher that is quite different than what is on the market.

BluesHarp

Thats very cool how you have the 4 amps to choose from and how you are running that.. his stuff is amazing and each one is a chunk from an actual amp.

The wiring and layout inside each one is incredible. I want to try the minstrel, but this one looks great too. I have the Squire at the moment and it is an amazing eq and buffer.. its always on.

Simon Jarrett from Kingsley just emailed me about his new Plexi style tube preamp pedal. I've been asking him to make me one in a new enclosure and it has finally arrived! The pedal takes 2 12ax7s and runs on 12v 500ma. I plan on using this preamp along with my Torpedo CAB for power amp, speaker, and mic simulation.

Simon has also made me a Dumble, Vox ac30, and Supro T1624 preamp, which I currently use on my Torpedo CAB and it sound amazing. Very excited to try this new preamp out. I will have the ability to switch between 4 different types of amp tones all on my pedalboard.

He also mentioned to me that his new smaller version of the Ministrel will be arriving in early November and a midi effects switcher that is quite different than what is on the market.

slopeshoulder

I love Simon and Kingsley. I have a Harlot. Had a Page and a Minstrel. Loved them too.

I take your approach using mostly Menatone pedals (JFETS in amp circuits rather than tubes, mirroring the entire circuit) into a clean high headroom amp. But yeah, it's great to see Kingsley doing it with tubes, focusing on the preamp. Great name on this pedal LOL.
How do you power all these Kingsleys on the same board?? That was my only obstacle to having more than one.

Keep it up Simon!

mkr1

Looking at the master and the two volumes, I'm inferring that it functions like a Jester (which I own and love) with the variable boost moved to the front end. I wonder how differently it's voiced - can't wait to hear clips/demos.

thewordking

Whoa. Any pics or clips? I had no idea he made those preamps. I've never seen or heard of them before.

flantrax

Silver Supporting Member
Looks killer...is it going to be a production model or just a personal one-off? I have 2 Jesters(1 on each board)...love Simons stuff...

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
Looks cool. A smaller pedal with a single 12ax7 and half the current draw would do me better though.

A lot of plexi mojo comes form the PI, without that, a couple tube stages and the tone stack would be fine.

Although maybe he skipped the cathode follower and replicated the PI clipping somehow? Have to hear it.

dapeegoo

Silver Supporting Member
Looks cool. A smaller pedal with a single 12ax7 and half the current draw would do me better though.

A lot of plexi mojo comes form the PI, without that, a couple tube stages and the tone stack would be fine.

Although maybe he skipped the cathode follower and replicated the PI clipping somehow? Have to hear it.
For the Squire preamp, I believe he uses a MOSFET for the cathode follower. The Constable will have a real cathode follower in it (I believe). If you wanted a PI, Simon can make you a custom power amp to go along with the tube preamp pedals he makes.

leblanc74

I would have been interested , but I purchased a Jouster direcly from Simon and it was not I expected, and then I tested the tubes that came with it and one was fair and the other was dead...this was from my Orange valve tester...so I had to purchase good tubes then I sold it refusing to deal or have any product from him again...to me placing a lot off money on a pedal I would assumed the quality control would be top notch and be tested, but that wasn't the case from my transaction with Simon...

jdel77

To be blunt, leblanc, that's your loss. The Kingsley's are amazing. What's to say that the tube didn't come loose in shipping? That's like sending a top notch meal back because it didn't come with a fork.

jdel77

Is this pedal lower gain?
I had a Minstrel - great, but not open enough for me.
I have a Jouster - great, love the openness, but just not high gain enough!
Boosting it with different things.
I emailed Simon the other day about a high gainer - Bogner/Deizel levels of gain.
He's too busy at the moment but didn't rule it out, which is awesome.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member

Very cool. I have a Minstrel and a Jouster. I use the Jouster for OD about 90% of the time.

What do the mode switches on this new pedal do? What are the different settings?

flantrax

Silver Supporting Member
Here's some more info from the site...

Coming Soon
Kingsley Constable Plexi Preamp
The Constable is a plexi style preamp with all the requisite functions and features, housed in our two tube foot pedal enclosure (same size as the Jester, Jouster and Juggler). It is designed to push a power amp directly, but can also be used as a pedal in front of an amp or for direct recording applications when combined with a power amp/speaker simulator.

Using two 12ax7s running at high voltage, it features controls for: Volume 1, Volume 2, Treble, Middle and Bass, as well as a switchable Master volume. It also has a second switch that allows independent or combined channel operation (like jumpering the channels on a plexi amp).

MogwaiBoy

Nicely nice! Good to see more new products from my favourite pedal company... But I think I'll pass and keep holding out for the new Minstrel.

Re: Jouster tubes - wow... I should try a new pair and see what that does.

leblanc74

To be blunt, leblanc, that's your loss. The Kingsley's are amazing. What's to say that the tube didn't come loose in shipping? That's like sending a top notch meal back because it didn't come with a fork.

Loose???... not loose, but the tube was tested bad from a valve tester...as I stated, I have high expectations and Kingsley was not worth my money, there are plenty off great builders out there that have satisfied me...that is all and I was just venting out...nothing more...

Trending Topics