New Kingsnake. Bias problem?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by zach5150, Nov 21, 2005.

1. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

Hi,
    I recently got a new Reverend Kingsnake Head. It sounded great for the first few hours, but now it's starting to sound kinda....flabby? It's farting out on the attack.....sounds really compressed. I dont think it was doing this before....it doesnt sound as smooth.....I was wondering if, after a few hours, that the bias is drifting? Could it be that the tubes are settling in and the bias needs to be tweaked? Any other ideas??
    I'm running a Jenkins 212 cab e/ Eminence Tonespotters.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If in doubt, whip out that bias probe and check them. All we can do is speculate from this distance.;)

3. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

good advice....i emailed joe the other day, before i had this problem and got a bias chart from him (For future use). I've got a bias probe, but for some reason, it hasnt occured to me to use that....I was thinking more along the lines of opening the chassis and using the test points provided on the board and I didnt want to open it up right away! Man, I'm a goofball....it took you to remind me of my test equipment that I already OWN! hehe.....thanks....

4. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

Well, according to the ol bias probe, its idling at around 36mA.....sounds about right for a pair of 6L6's doesnt it??? Should I crank it up a little hotter?

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    36 is ALWAYS fine for 6L6GCs (suffix is critical to any 6L6 biasing or plate voltage discussion) though could actually be cold. If compression is an issue, a higher bias setting will only make it worse. Try lower, but feel free to experiment.