New Knaggs Day, possible issue, need advice

mikealpine

Picture first, of the full guitar. It's beautiful, very light, feels great in my hands.

KnaggsFull.jpg

I would not have called it "mint", but it's pretty close except for a good amount of polish swirls. The big issue is, the screws on the pickguard are very high, and have been stripped. I'll get to the "stripped" part second. They are not countersunk enough, if at all, and in my mind, they should be relatively flat, as they are on just about every other guitar I own that has a pickguard. Knaggs owners, please let me know if this is the case on yours. As far as being stripped, it was like someone either tried to remove the screws with the wrong size screwdriver, or put it back with one, and the slots are beaten up and sharp. The pickup says "Duncan", but I have no idea what might have gone on under the hood. And the screw directly under the strings is kind of in my way, if that makes sense.

So, I'm hoping you'll see some details in the pictures and tell me if I am crazy or not, or am being too picky for a guitar advertised as "mint" except for three small scratches on the pickguard. I've notified the seller that I have this issue with the screws. It absolutely needs to be fixed. Anyway, please take a look:

This one looks original, and at least is flat, but not sure what that ring around it is:
Knaggs5.jpg

Chewed up and pretty high (in my opinion):

Knaggs4.jpg

Side view:
Knaggs4.jpg

Another angle:

Knaggs2.jpg

Knaggs3.jpg

Again, please let me know your thoughts. The guitar, except for the string buzz, sounds really nice...very clear, could be terrific. Thanks very much!!

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
The ring around the screw? The protective plastic on the pickguard is still there me thinks. I'd get that stripped screw changed for sure.

mikealpine

They are almost all like that, except for the one with the ring around it. The seller offered to take it back, said that's how he got it from Distinctive Guitars, but he never asked about it. He's certainly being very good about it.

Heard from the folks at Knaggs, offered to send new screws.

Last edited:

Whitecat

The ring around the screw? The protective plastic on the pickguard is still there me thinks. I'd get that stripped screw changed for sure.

Knaggs' guards are cut from wood and don't ship with plastic on them... might be some delamination of sorts caused by the screw pressure, maybe it was overtightened.

Chuckracer

Silver Supporting Member
Yep, looks to me like the wrong screws. Any black pick guard screws for a strat or tele style guitar will take care of it.
Kudos and major props for Knaggs for taking care of you on that.

You're not being too picky at all. That's kind of crappy...but not a deal breaker.

Last edited:

mikealpine

Thanks guys, think I'll keep it. It's in desperate need of a good setup, but should be just lovely after that...and once those screws are replaced!

Paul Eliasson

Beautiful guitar!

If I may comment, the issues you've pointed out sound like they were caused by a previous owner. He should not have advertised it as mint but lightly used.

1. Swirl marks
Knaggs uses poly to seal his guitars and uses nitrocellulose for his top coats. Guitars finished with nitro, especially when newly finished, scratch easily. Nitro is susceptible to heating up and I imagine those swirl marks were caused by contact with a towel used to clean and polish that guitar. A soft cloth or terry cloth should have been used.

2. Screws sitting high.
Knaggs pickguard screw holes are not countersunk so they do sit high. The screws used have flat bottomed heads that are meant to sit on the wood.

3. Stripped screws
It looks like the previous owner used a inappropriately sized screw driver to adjust the screws thereby striping the thread on the head as well as the black coating.

4. That ring
That ring around the first screw is finish lifting and separating from the pickguard because the first owner over- tightened the screw. I am sure once you remove that screw, the finish will flake off. You can get a nitro pen from Stewart McDonald's and touch it up. It will blend right in.

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
It looks like the screws were installed with a drill bit that was spinning too fast and chewed up the slots. Sheesh.

mikealpine

Beautiful guitar!

If I may comment, the issues you've pointed out sound like they were caused by a previous owner. He should not have advertised it as mint but lightly used.

1. Swirl marks
Knaggs uses poly to seal his guitars and uses nitrocellulose for his top coats. Guitars finished with nitro, especially when newly finished, scratch easily. Nitro is susceptible to heating up and I imagine those swirl marks were caused by contact with a towel used to clean and polish that guitar. A soft cloth or terry cloth should have been used.

2. Screws sitting high.
Knaggs pickguard screw holes are not countersunk so they do sit high. The screws used have flat bottomed heads that are meant to sit on the wood.

3. Stripped screws
It looks like the previous owner used a inappropriately sized screw driver to adjust the screws thereby striping the thread on the head as well as the black coating.

4. That ring
That ring around the first screw is finish lifting and separating from the pickguard because the first owner over- tightened the screw. I am sure once you remove that screw, the finish will flake off. You can get a nitro pen from Stewart McDonald's and touch it up. It will blend right in.

Paul, thank you for the compliment and the terrific details. I'm a fan of your work, so it means a lot to me. I agree about the condition; "lightly used", "very good", "Excellent except for polish swirls and a couple of scratches on the pickguard" all would have been better than "Mint". He noted the scratches on the pickguard, though I would have appreciated knowing about the chewed up screw heads and swirls. All of that being said, I am not unhappy with the price I paid. The guitar is very light, very comfortable, and from what I can tell before a much-needed setup, it sounds excellent. I'll see how it feels after that is done and the new screws are in. I may have to leave out the one directly under the strumming area (for me, almost directly in between the two pickups). Or I'll get used to it being there. At the end of the day, I think the guitar is going to be a pleasure to play and own. As they say, this should be the biggest problem I ever had to deal with.

Thanks for the tip on the ring around the screw. I'll look into that nitro pen after I see what it looks like with the new screw.

Is it possible to buff or polish out the swirl marks?

cugel

Silver Supporting Member
It looks great and is likely sweet, but the previous owner(s) probably were too good with working on guitars. I would like to see whats under that pickguard since they did take it off at some point.

mikealpine

It looks great and is likely sweet, but the previous owner(s) probably were too good with working on guitars. I would like to see whats under that pickguard since they did take it off at some point.

Me too, when the setup is done and the new screws are going in, we'll look under the hood to make sure all is well. The three-way switch works fine, no scratches or pops when changing positions or using volume and tone knobs, so it all seems to be OK. The bridge pickup sounds just cutting enough, but with enough "girth". The neck pickup is a bit mellow, and that may need to be changed at some point, but I will reserve all judgment until I hear it without fret buzz and a new set of strings.

pats

Silver Supporting Member
To me, aside from needing a setup, I would not 'sweat' the small stuff.

Get it setup by the best luthier you can find, and look for some quality pups (I put a set of Ron Ellis humbuckers in my Kenai), and all of my other guitars have Ellis or Rolph pups.

Good luck

mikealpine

Thanks Chuck! I hadn't considered a Knaggs until stumbling on the other New Knaggs Day thread. Many of these, the lower Tier numbers at least, are priced out of my range. This one popped up out of nowhere, and after missing that other one, I jumped.

And Pats, after sleeping on it that first night, that's what I had decided, thanks. Without a doubt, it's one of the most comfortable guitars to hold, and it just needs a little TLC. I got the guitar at a very good price, and once it has a really good setup, it'll be really sweet. As far as changing the pickups, I might change the neck, but from what I could tell, the bridge is excellent. Not sure if there is room to change the switch to a 4-way, but I'll explore that option as well. I usually jump to change things, but I'm going to take my time this time. I'm not going to anything before it is well set up because that's when I'll really hear what she sounds like.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom